Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a 9006 6,000k Volt HID kit (http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Volt-HID-6000k-Digital-HID-Kits-p/vdp-6k.htm) for my low beams a couple weeks ago and installed them over Christmas weekend.

I previously put AAC Oracle 6,000k HOD fog bulbs in after taking advantage of their Black Friday sale and wanted to finally get rid of the yellow in the lows. So taking the lead of many of you on here, I went with the XenonDepot kit.

Here's how the kit came:

Notice it comes with a pair of work gloves (definitely a plus, I usually use latex or nitrile disposable gloves that end up being torn apart after wrenching, but these held up nice and grip good...and they were free). If you use the forum discount code, you also get two wire harnesses which are tucked in the box.

Here is a before with stock low beams and stock fogs (the stock halogens do not look that yellow in this picture, but you can really tell the difference in the next photos):

Here is a night time shot with the stock low beams and 6,000k HOD fogs:

Here is a daytime shot of the stock low beams and 6,000k HOD fogs:

Here is the XenonDepot HIDs in the lows and 6,000K HOD fogs (really hard to capture the color especially from directly in front and it was getting dark and cold fast), but the XenonDepot kit is bright white with a tint of blue and the HOD fogs actually match it suprisingly well, they are just a tad bit more white in color compared to the HIDs.

I had some trouble getting the HIDs to stay on after starting the Jeep, but it was because I didn't ground them to proper locations. See these two links for proper grounding locations - http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23632 and jeep garage org /showthread.php?t=2687

Steve's reputation proceeds him and he has also followed up on a couple PMs quickly. The quality of the kit is great and the slim ballasts are awesome. I used a hidgate kit in my 300C and this kit is definitely worth the price.

I will try to capture a better picture of the lights from a different angle one of these nights and post it.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Montag84: Thank you so much for taking the time to put together this review! I am glad to hear (and see) that you are happy with the Volt HID kit =) It's nice that you had other HID kits in the past so that you had something to compare our product to.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
965 Posts
i did the volt kit for my headlights and was also very impressed with the volt package. looks good. XENON DEPOT has great products

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm having issues with the kit. It doesn't like to work properly after unlocking the Jeep.

When I unlock the Jeep (per my EVIC settings-illuminated approach on), both lows come on, but when I start it, either the driver side or the passenger side will be off or neither will on. If its dark enough out, only the fogs will be on on. I leave the headlights on auto all the time and the EVIC is set to auto low beam only. I can get the lows to work if I cycle the lights to off, then to either on or auto (if dark enough out). I have also noticed, if I wait to start the Jeep until the lights go out (90 seconds) from unlocking it, both low beams will come on upon ignition.

When I turn off the Jeep and lock it, the lows stay on for 90 seconds (per my EVIC settings) with no problems. I have no flickering or intermittent on/off. Once the lows are on while the Jeep is running, the stay on fine.

I had a set of hidgate HIDs in my low beams on my 300C with the EVIC set to illuminated approach and to keep the lights on upon shutting off the car, and never had any issues with the low beams not working. No relay harness, just anti-flicker modules.

I am using both relays that came with the Volt kit, which are grounded per the links I posted in the first post. And my connections are as follows:

Positive on relay #1 to positive on battery
Negative on relay #1 grounded to fender
Positive on relay #2 to positive on battery
Negative on relay #2 grounded to fender
Male on relay to female on ballast
Factory lows connection (unplug from halogen bulb) to female on relay
HID bulbs (2 wires) connect to 2 wires coming from ballast

This is driving me nuts. I have triple checked my connections and I don't want to forgo using the auto headlight function.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe try changing your ground location?
I've never had an issue like that with a XD kit, so that is strange.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i would guess the drop in voltage upon start is enough to drop out one of the lights. how old is your battery? have the terminals been cleaned lately? and if you have access to a newer battery try swapping it out

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would guess the drop in voltage upon start is enough to drop out one of the lights. how old is your battery? have the terminals been cleaned lately? and if you have access to a newer battery try swapping it out
Battery is newer and the terminals are very clean, no corrosion

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe try changing your ground location?
I've never had an issue like that with a XD kit, so that is strange.
I have it grounded to same locations as other people running the kit and I wouldn't think it would work at all if not grounded properly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i would guess the drop in voltage upon start is enough to drop out one of the lights. how old is your battery?
This is what Steve thinks at XenonDepot, the drop is triggering the protect feature in the ballast which causes the lights to shut off. I am going to try shortening the illuminated approach down from 90 seconds to 30 seconds, since they seem to work once the illuminated approach clicks the lights off prior to ignition. Another solution would be the Xtreme ballasts, which have a lower voltage draw than the Volt ballasts. I'm going to test it out over the next couple days.

Thanks again to Steve for reaching out both online and via the phone to get the issue solved.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Setting the illuminated approach to 30 seconds from 90 secondd has helped the light out issues. Now the lights go off before starting the Jeep and then come back on w/ no issues.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I also run the Volt kits 6000k, lows and fogs, and love them.

Thanks XenonDepot!!

Daniel

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.