Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two pieces of plastic, one on each side, underneath and ahead of the front wheels/tires. They apparently direct air into the brake area for cooling but also appear to be the first thing to hit in the event you'd scrape the bottom of the front of the car. They look to be easily replaceable and held in place by four fasteners. Coincidentally both of mine are missing the outermost fastener. The remaining three fasteners in each of them look to be identical black plastic pop rivets. Can someone check theirs and see if the outermost fastener is the same as the other three fasteners on each of their "spats?" Seems like a stupid question, but for some reason the outermost hole looks like it might be bigger. Just a heads up, the metal screw and washer you'll see is not involved with the plastic spat piece. There is a large hole in the plastic spat piece that just allows the plastic spat piece to fit over that screw and washer. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are two pieces of plastic, one on each side, underneath and ahead of the front wheels/tires. They apparently direct air into the brake area for cooling but also appear to be the first thing to hit in the event you'd scrape the bottom of the front of the car. They look to be easily replaceable and held in place by four fasteners. Coincidentally both of mine are missing the outermost fastener. The remaining three fasteners in each of them look to be identical black plastic pop rivets. Can someone check theirs and see if the outermost fastener is the same as the other three fasteners on each of their "spats?" Seems like a stupid question, but for some reason the outermost hole looks like it might be bigger. Just a heads up, the metal screw and washer you'll see is not involved with the plastic spat piece. There is a large hole in the plastic spat piece that just allows the plastic spat piece to fit over that screw and washer. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate that. I'm actually going to go out and grab brand new spats for each side and a total of 10 fasteners. That way I can firm up the existing ones and keep them until they trigger the OCD then swap out to the new ones. Looks to be approx. $60 plus shipping and tax from MoparPartsGiant for everything. Not bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Part # 68299198AC and Part # 68299199AC for the SPAT-FRONT FASCIA (98 is Right Side and 99 is Left Side). Now when it comes to the 8 fasteners, I'm still not sure exactly which ones they are. I saw on one schematic Part # 6507669AA ("PUSH PIN") and on another I saw Part # 6512761AA ("RIVET")...whichever is correct, you'll need 8 of them. Hoping someone can confirm which fasteners are correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I finally ID'd the 8 fasteners. Looks like the correct Part # is 6512761AA. The description is "Genuine Mopar Rivet. M6.35x28.96. Spat to Belly Pan. Spat Attaching."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, sorry to keep adding but I figured I'd share what I found out with the group about the 8 fasteners. Found out why I was seeing two different fasteners. My model is a 2017. The spat rivet was black plastic and part # 6500911 through 2017. Beginning in 2018 and through current the spat rivet is black metal and part # 6512761AA. The spat itself is unchanged through the whole period. Makes sense, since I have a 2017 and am missing a plastic spat rivet on each of my spats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I've never heard or said the word "SPAT" before referring to a car part. Now, I've said and typed the word "SPAT" enough for a lifetime. LOL

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
They were knocked off our Trackhawk in the first few weeks. Have the Renegade splitter to put on - hopefully the old lady will not run it over the curbs, in future.

Reactions: BilletSRTMK17

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No way. That stinks. And, to a Trackhawk makes it even worse. That is exactly the reason I try and keep my wife from driving the SRT. LOL. It's been about two months...so far so good. Her name is on the title with me so it's only a matter of time. I actually picked up two sets of these as spares. Yeah, overkill I know, but I'm prepared going forward. Heck, on-line they were $10.63 each so no big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Part # 68299198AC and Part # 68299199AC for the SPAT-FRONT FASCIA (98 is Right Side and 99 is Left Side). Now when it comes to the 8 fasteners, I'm still not sure exactly which ones they are. I saw on one schematic Part # 6507669AA ("PUSH PIN") and on another I saw Part # 6512761AA ("RIVET")...whichever is correct, you'll need 8 of them. Hoping someone can confirm which fasteners are correct.
Rivet, I’ll also need the tool the installs the rivet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember the Part # 6507669AA ("PUSH PIN") isn't the correct fastener. It's the Part # 6500911 (Plastic/Polymer) through 2017 and the Part # 6512761AA (Aluminum) beginning 2018 through current. You said "rivet" so I think you got that, but just in case I wanted to clarify. For the plastic/polymer rivet there is a Poly Hand Rivet tool made by Pittsburgh on the Harbor Freight website for $17 that I hear works great. The SKU is 97757. Now for the aluminum rivet, I am not sure. I am assuming the Poly Hand Rivet tool could work for the aluminum rivet as well. As long as you had the hand strength to squeeze the tool enough to pull the aluminum stem through, separate the aluminum anchor on the opposite side, and seat the aluminum stem, you could just use metal snips to cut the protruding stem flush with the button. I picked up both the plastic/polymer rivets and the aluminum rivets and the rivet tool from Harbor Freight is on the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts