Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

WK2 6k Bi-Xenon Swap

11K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  loud8 
#1 ·
Swapped the OEM Bi-Xenon bulb to a 6k color temp. I have 6k HID Fogs and 6k LED "DRLs" as well.

Factory bulb has the brown on it. The aftermarket is the blue.

Just quick iPhone pics for now. It's hard to capture the color of the bulbs on the iPhone. May have the break the SLR out to get a better shot.

Swapped the license plate bulbs to LED while I was at it.

See less See more
Reactions: heywire
#3 ·
Thanks Jim. Still gotta figure out the interior bulbs for an LED swap. Vleds is showing a lot of the bulbs I believe I need on back order though.

Hopefully getting the exhaust done Monday :D

Sent from my iPhone 5

#5 ·
The bulbs are the same. I've seen a guide on the other site for a led swap on a 2011. But not all the bulbs are figured out yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5

#7 ·
Damn those suckers are bright Zac! Even in the daylight :eek:! That's awesome

#9 ·
The iPhone pictures didn't do the best job showing them. Looks great in person and not really any brighter than factory, just a different color.

Sent from my iPhone 5

#10 ·
Some better pics

Reactions: CLStech
#13 ·
I didn't take pics during install as I had limited time to do the mod. It's really simple for the most part. Well, the bwoody CAI makes the driver side real easy. If the stock intake is in place it needs to be removed, still pretty easy to do though. The passenger side I unbolted the PCM to swing it out of the way some since the connectors are in the way, or disconnect the connectors. Make sure to disconnect the battery before starting. The driver side has more room so do that one first to get the idea of what to do. The passenger side is tighter clearance but doable.

The basic steps for changing the bulbs once you have access goes like this:
1) Remove the black rubber dust cap, it just pulls off
2) Pull the wiring off the bulb, it's snug, but just pulls straight off.
3) Rotate the black collar to release the bulb.
4) Pull the bulb straight out
5) Reverse the steps

I recommend disconnecting the battery and wearing gloves to protect the bulbs from the oil on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone 5

#15 ·
The US Jeeps its under the passenger seat. Move it forward and pull up on the cubby door to expose the battery. I just disconnect the negative terminal.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Reactions: Northern SRT8
#18 ·
My guess is the LED DRL bars are 5k.

The running lamp LED "DRLs" are 6k (aka flash white). Those required a rewire

The stock Bi-Xenon are a 4300k, the new bulbs are 6k. The Bi-Xenon bulbs are just a bulb swap, nothing else needed.

The HID fog lights are 6k, but I'm led to believe they are not actually a 6k bulb, maybe closer to an 8k. I have a new HID kit from Xenon Depot I will be installing next time I get home. I will be using a 5k bulb in the fog lights this time around. It should then match the LED DRL bars better.

#23 ·
Ordered some 8k D1S bulbs from XenonDepot and going to try them out. I will do a writeup for the bulb swap near the end of the month for those interested.

#25 ·
Looks very nice, I just wish the LED's matched up to the blueness of the fogs. And to the poster above me, there is no way you 8k aftermarket HIDs are Putting out the same light output/lumens as your stock 4300k HIDs

#28 ·
Jim, does the pic make them looked bluer than they really are?

#31 ·
Those last pics look better. The driving view looks like my old 8k bulbs. The projector lens has a tendency to change to color depending on the angle viewing them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#32 ·
in regards to the DRL running lights, an easier solution to rewiring is 1 of 2 things.

bend the wire at the bottom of the leds over to the opposite side (potential to break the wire however)

or 2, just get the dual filament version of the same bulb, they are the exact same cost, and will run exactly the same. and if you have a tail light go out, you can swap in an emergency :p

Even from factory, for some reason on my jeep, they used the double filament bulbs for the DRLs. guess that was just their easy solution instead of wiring all the jeeps properly the first time.

#33 ·
in regards to the DRL running lights, an easier solution to rewiring is 1 of 2 things.

bend the wire at the bottom of the leds over to the opposite side (potential to break the wire however)

I have a hard time believing this would actually work. Possible, but seems half-ass.

or 2, just get the dual filament version of the same bulb, they are the exact same cost, and will run exactly the same. and if you have a tail light go out, you can swap in an emergency :p

Point me into the direction of dual filament LED bulbs please. Using a filament bulb negates the use of a LED for the white light.

Even from factory, for some reason on my jeep, they used the double filament bulbs for the DRLs. guess that was just their easy solution instead of wiring all the jeeps properly the first time.
Overall, I am just mostly confused at this post :confused:

I think the simplest rewiring solution is to have the correct tool to re arrange the pins in the connector. Move one wire and it's done.

#38 ·
I went LED, I left the spare package in the car, I will check what they are when I'm in there next planned on putting them in the brake lights as well, but they looked more orange then red with the tinted plastic and the blue white LED

will likely find some red LEDs and see how they look instead.

yeah, I figured the inside lights were originally intended to be for high beams and "DRLs" since the harness uses a 3 wire setup with an adapter to take the bulbs we have. The places I went looking for bulbs kept telling me it took 9145s/H10 bulbs, and I had to keep arguing with them that it wasn't a head light.

I'm so glad there isn't any orange on the front.

I'll be taking pictures soon, I just got the car last week and have basically been driving non stop, haven't had a chance to pull out the camera yet.

running 4000k for my foglights, looks good, thinking of going for 6000k for the HIDs. Does the 6000 pretty much match up with the white LEDs?

#39 ·
The actual DRL LED strips are a 4700k from my understanding, and what I've learned with talking to Steve at XenonDepot. I run 5000k HIDs in my fog lights and they match well with the LED strips. I have 6000k bulbs in my factory Bi-Xenon to replace the OEM 4300k bulbs. I will be swapping the 6000k to 8000k in a few weeks. I decided to go a different route with my lighting scheme.

When you go to replace the brake lights with LEDs it will not be a simple plug and play install. I’m pretty sure you will need a resistor inline on the circuit. Though, I have seen some new bulbs coming to the market which look like they come with a resistor built into the LED bulb already to make for plug and play installs.

#40 ·
sorry, I wasn't clear, I went for 4000k halogens so I have yellow fogs. right now it's a bit of a mix n'match colour job on the front of my jeep, but I'll get it all sorted in due time.

I went yellow because it shatters light better in fog and snow (canada)

fun trick I found with our jeeps is if you just turn your light knob to "park lights" only, you can still turn the fog lights on. It looks really neat without the headlights on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.