Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to post some feedback on RacingBrake’s lightweight 2-piece rotors and ET500 brake pads for our wk1 Jeep SRT8’s. I recently replaced a very low mile set of R1 slotted rotors and Stoptech pads (selling these so if you are interested please PM me, if in Houston area I can do the install for reasonable labor rate), with RB’s latest 2-piece lightweight rotors and ET500 pads both front and rear. Using my digital bathroom scale I weighed the RB 2-piece rotors and my slightly used R1 slotted rotors, see below:

Front RB 19.2lb vs Stock R1 Replacement at 27.6, delta = (8.4)lb
Rear 17.6lb vs 24, delta = (6.4)lb

Install was straightforward, component design and presentation of the brake rotors are simply beautiful (see pics, note the black on the friction surface will wear off with use). It’s hard to describe how well designed the cooling passages are inside the rotors, suffice it to say that the Mechanical Engineer in me is very impressed, especially when comparing to the lack of engineering visible in the competitors’ products (most brake rotor designs appear to use an old school approach to copy what has been done by others, not the case with RB’s 2-piece rotors).

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece-rotor-Open-Slot-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-p/2310.htm

I bed in the pads per the RB instructs, including recommended cool down, no shimmy/no vibration/no other concerns. Now the results … the initial bite of the ET500 pads is so much improved relative to the Stoptech pads that are so popular on this forum. I love love love the RB ET500 brake pedal feel as there is no wait for deceleration when initially applying the brakes, decel is progressive with increased pedal effort, no issues modulating decel. I have been driving with high performance brake pads for years on my sports cars and have to say I hate the Stoptech pads on our Jeeps, poor braking performance and initial bite was non-existent. I will share that I have been able to increase my 2-step launch rpm several hundred rpm with these brakes, this demonstrates a higher static friction coefficient resulting in more holding power to allow me to stall the torque converter to a higher rpm without pushing through the brakes, this means launching at higher rpm for what I hope to be better 60ft times (time will tell if my transmission input shaft likes this).

Only a couple of nits so far, yea I’m a Mechanical Engineer so I always have nits with anything I buy. Had to get a replacement set of rear pads as the original ones supplied were too tight of a fit in the rear calipers (width of pad back plate was the issue), the replacements slid right in without issue. Note that I was meticulous to clean out any residual pad dust buildup or road debris prior to pad install. Getting an occasional bit of brake pad squeal with cold brake temps and mild braking such as when daily driving , I can report back on this after compiling more miles.

As a picky SOB I have to say that I am thrilled with this setup so far, I’ll report back after a few track events and more street miles to/from the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
That's the high price of lightness!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has tried the chromed rotors on the brake works website!
the would definitely ad some nice looks but will they perform?
I'm having trouble pulling the trigger to order the R1 ones just cause its basically the only option! the one listed here, the 2 piece... i was close right up to filing out the billing information... but it's wifey who is mostly driving the beast and i just can't justify the cost....esp. when i'm up in canada the conversion rates going to hurt!

thanks for any serious input in advance!
Sean

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little feedback on RB rotors and pads after 3yrs of abuse. Pulled RB pads off today after many a spirited street run and track passes braking from 150mph ...

Rotors had ZERO perceptible wear, pretty crazy. Switching to stock pads to get some more initial cold bite, with the RB pads I would have to heat up the pads to have any chance of holding the Jeep on the 2-step in the mid-3000 rpm's. We'll see if the stock pads hold on the 2-step when cold, and if they show wear on the rotors after a few 150mph braking cycles.

Never had an issue stopping the Jeep with the RB brake pads, they worked flawlessly at the top end of the track.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Little feedback on RB rotors and pads after 3yrs of abuse. Pulled RB pads off today after many a spirited street run and track passes braking from 150mph ...

Rotors had ZERO perceptible wear, pretty crazy. Switching to stock pads to get some more initial cold bite, with the RB pads I would have to heat up the pads to have any chance of holding the Jeep on the 2-step in the mid-3000 rpm's. We'll see if the stock pads hold on the 2-step when cold, and if they show wear on the rotors after a few 150mph braking cycles.

Never had an issue stopping the Jeep with the RB brake pads, they worked flawlessly at the top end of the track.
any further update on this and what pad combo you needed to allow you to hold more rpm on the 2 step?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
With the Brembo pads, were you able to hold more on your 2 step?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yessir, without having to put as much heat into the pad as compared to the RB pads
awesome good to know, gonna shoot you a pm as well

·
Vendor
11 Posts
Just wanted to post some feedback on RacingBrake’s lightweight 2-piece rotors and ET500 brake pads for our wk1 Jeep SRT8’s. I recently replaced a very low mile set of R1 slotted rotors and Stoptech pads (selling these so if you are interested please PM me, if in Houston area I can do the install for reasonable labor rate), with RB’s latest 2-piece lightweight rotors and ET500 pads both front and rear. Using my digital bathroom scale I weighed the RB 2-piece rotors and my slightly used R1 slotted rotors, see below:

Install was straightforward, component design and presentation of the brake rotors are simply beautiful (see pics, note the black on the friction surface will wear off with use). It’s hard to describe how well designed the cooling passages are inside the rotors, suffice it to say that the Mechanical Engineer in me is very impressed, especially when comparing to the lack of engineering visible in the competitors’ products (most brake rotor designs appear to use an old school approach to copy what has been done by others, not the case with RB’s 2-piece rotors).

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece-rotor-Open-Slot-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-p/2310.htm

I bed in the pads per the RB instructs, including recommended cool down, no shimmy/no vibration/no other concerns. Now the results … the initial bite of the ET500 pads is so much improved relative to the Stoptech pads that are so popular on this forum. I love love love the RB ET500 brake pedal feel as there is no wait for deceleration when initially applying the brakes, decel is progressive with increased pedal effort, no issues modulating decel. I have been driving with high performance brake pads for years on my sports cars and have to say I hate the Stoptech pads on our Jeeps, poor braking performance and initial bite was non-existent. I will share that I have been able to increase my 2-step launch rpm several hundred rpm with these brakes, this demonstrates a higher static friction coefficient resulting in more holding power to allow me to stall the torque converter to a higher rpm without pushing through the brakes, this means launching at higher rpm for what I hope to be better 60ft times (time will tell if my transmission input shaft likes this).

Only a couple of nits so far, yea I’m a Mechanical Engineer so I always have nits with anything I buy. Had to get a replacement set of rear pads as the original ones supplied were too tight of a fit in the rear calipers (width of pad back plate was the issue), the replacements slid right in without issue. Note that I was meticulous to clean out any residual pad dust buildup or road debris prior to pad install. Getting an occasional bit of brake pad squeal with cold brake temps and mild braking such as when daily driving , I can report back on this after compiling more miles.

As a picky SOB I have to say that I am thrilled with this setup so far, I’ll report back after a few track events and more street miles to/from the track.
Good insight on RB two pc rotor design and feature vs. others which only a few discriminating users can truly appreciate.

Let's see if your forthcoming long term tetimonial on rotor durability can be a legendary one in Jeep community and beat this Mercedes E63 driver's 113,556 miles before disc replacement.

If one factors in the overall cost based on initial purchase + "replacement cost" (parts & down time), 2 pc rotors can actually be cheaper than 1 pc rotor w/o mentioning the benefit of performance improvement.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Vendor
11 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a long term testimonial it would be interesting to see what the rotor wear looks like after almost 6 years' run on ??? miles, and see if you can beat this legendary rotor durability record set by this Mercedes E63 enthusiast - Jon.

Racing Brake Rotors after 113,556miles

Thank you.

Warren-RB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts