Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know why the SRTs come with run flats from the factory? I have a 2016 with the pirelli run flats and a 20x8 spare. I don't quite understand where Jeep was going with this. Was it for towing weight purposes?
I think the run flats are used due to the vehicle weight. A fast leak would destroy the rims very quickly when driving

·
Registered
25 Posts
According to someone else that commented here that isn't true. The 20 inch spare will fit over the front brembo caliper.
Well, I own a 2014 Jeep SRT, bought it new, currently have 170,000 miles on it. Had two flats over the 6 1/2 years that I own it. Both flats were front tires and MY Spare could not fit over the calipers. So unless they have a different Black Steel spare wheel, it doesn’t fit over the front calipers. And yes, I am a mechanic... for over 45 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The spare that comes with the tow package is a 20" alloy that does fit front and rear. (still comes with run-flats). I replaced mine before I even had 2k miles on it (with Michelin AS3+).
What model year is your SRT? Mine (2014) came with a black steel rim that’s 18”
My 20” spider monkey rim doesn’t quite fit into the spare tire tub.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well there goes that theory.:rolleyes:
I ordered mine in the fall of 2013 because I wanted the upgraded laguna brown leather seats. Initially I did not check the box for full size spare... my thoughts were if I had Run-flats I don’t need a spare. After sleeping on it, I went back the following morning and added the full size spare. So, I believe it’s an option some dealers request and done don’t.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered mine in the fall of 2013 because I wanted the upgraded laguna brown leather seats. Initially I did not check the box for full size spare... my thoughts were if I had Run-flats I don’t need a spare. After sleeping on it, I went back the following morning and added the full size spare. So, I believe it’s an option some dealers request and done don’t.
When you say full size spare, you're talking about a 20x10" wheel? Or a 20" diameter wheel and 6 or 8" in width.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you say full size spare, you're talking about a 20x10" wheel? Or a 20" diameter wheel and 6 or 8" in width.
No... it’s a 18” black steel rim. They call it a full size spare because it’s not the typical donut spare.

My flat 20” spider monkey wheel did not fit into my spare tire tub. It was at least 3” wider than the tub, and the circumference of the wheel barely fit in the tub.

I read, on here, that some people said they have a 20” spare. So I’m only speaking from my own experience with my own 2014 Jeep SRT.
VIN: 1C4RJFDJXEC321205

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Run-flats obviously were developed for their stated purpose, leaving limited mobility in the event of a puncture, but eliminating the spare also reduces the curb weight, improving fuel consumption on the EPA test cycle.

We had a spare in our ‘12 WK2 SRT8, none in our ‘14, and our present TrackHawk we ordered with the spare.

Since our vehicles intentionally trade off other elements in favor of performance, which is why we buy them, we have to settle for the hassles the big, grippy, stiff-walled tires impose, that others with Summits or Limiteds don’t. Like, the limited number of places that can even CHANGE them, that they rarely last much over 30,000 miles, don’t fit in the spare tire well, and cost a TON to replace.

Just as we live with the stiffer ride, higher cabin noise levels, and hearty appetite for 93-octane.

Reactions: acallen

·
-------------------------
90 Posts
What model year is your SRT? Mine (2014) came with a black steel rim that’s 18”
My 20” spider monkey rim doesn’t quite fit into the spare tire tub.
Mine is a 2018 with the factory tow package, which includes a black 20 inch aluminum 5 spoke (temporary use) full size spare, that absolutely DOES fit over the front brakes.
Again, it comes with the original factory tow package option.

FYI, anyone can buy the 20" spare from a dealer, or possibly Rockauto.com.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mine is a 2018 with the factory tow package, which includes a black 20 inch aluminum 5 spoke (temporary use) ful size spare, that absolutely DOES fit over the front brakes.

My 2016 came this same way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to someone else that commented here that isn't true. The 20 inch spare will fit over the front brembo caliper.
It was true in 2014, it may no longer be true, I have had mine since then and it came with run flats and a factory 18inch spare in that year. The procedure was to do the rear first then swap the rear to the front if you had a front flat. I may look into buying a 20in steel spare now that I know they exist (presumably came out post 2014)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is a 2018 with the factory tow package, which includes a black 20 inch aluminum 5 spoke (temporary use) full size spare, that absolutely DOES fit over the front brakes.

I think im going to have to try the dealer if it is not unreasonable. The rock auto ones are 18 too:
2018 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 6.4L V8 Wheel | RockAuto

21 - 31 of 31 Posts