Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the SRTs come with run flats from the factory? I have a 2016 with the pirelli run flats and a 20x8 spare. I don't quite understand where Jeep was going with this. Was it for towing weight purposes?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not entirely sure. My vehicle has the tow package but I thought they all at least came with a spare.
From what I can find only the SRT's ordered with the tow package came with a spare. Probably the reason they all come with run flats, weather you have a spare or not(tow package) is to keep one brand of tire on all SRT Jeeps. Easier on the factory floor when building them to have one common tire.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
From what I can find only the SRT's ordered with the tow package came with a spare. Probably the reason they all come with run flats, weather you have a spare or not(tow package) is to keep one brand of tire on all SRT Jeeps. Easier on the factory floor when building them to have one common tire.
My SRT didn't have the tow package and came with a spare

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just seems bizarre to have a full sized spare and run flat tires. Not sure why Jeep was so inconsistent with some people having spares and some not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine had a full size spare but the tire change procedure with a front flat is this: 1) change a rear tire to the spare, 2) put the rear tire on the front to clear the front brembos. That may be why? Its an 18 inch spare rim with a higher profile tire. Seems pretty silly to not have a spare 20 inch with right offset to clear brembos but whatever. I still ditched the runflats but then again im probably the only freak driving around with a floor jack behind my passenger seat. As an odd aside I have never been stranded from a flat and have helped about a person a year change tires on the side of the road pretty randomly.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My only thought is cost savings on Jeep part. Itseems like most SRTs didn’t come with a spare. Because of our huge brakes, I’m sure the steels used for the spare isn’t a common off the shelf part, probably only used on our Jeep’s.

·
-------------------------
90 Posts
The spare that comes with the tow package is a 20" alloy that does fit front and rear. (still comes with run-flats). I replaced mine before I even had 2k miles on it (with Michelin AS3+).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Speaking of our tires, does anyone know of ANY other car that uses 295/45x20’s. I’ve done a limited search and haven’t found any.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know why the SRTs come with run flats from the factory? I have a 2016 with the pirelli run flats and a 20x8 spare. I don't quite understand where Jeep was going with this. Was it for towing weight purposes?
The spare can’t fit over the front brake calipers. So, if a front tire goes flat, you have the opportunity of driving to a secure area and moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the spare on the rear axle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The spare can’t fit over the front brake calipers. So, if a front tire goes flat, you have the opportunity of driving to a secure area and moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the spare on the rear axle.
According to someone else that commented here that isn't true. The 20 inch spare will fit over the front brembo caliper.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts