Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing mine this weekend. I'd like to see who has done it themselves so I can know who to ask some basic questions of. For instance; did you remove the entire front clip or was there a smarter/easier way to get access that worked out ok. Lessons learned, stuff like that.

·
Motor Fan Club member
556 Posts
ekaz. I've assisted him in numerous heads and cam installs on 5.7s and 6.1s on LXs and Jeeps.

Reactions: HoustonHemi

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Houston, if you wouldnt mind man... some pics and a tutorial would be great! Ive got a cam sitting in my garage and i've done plenty of engine work before.... but honestly... never on this new of a vehicle or on my baby!! So im extremely hesitant

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
There's great tutorial for a cam swap on LXForums. You do not need to remove the front clip. If you want more room, remove the top brace, there are only 4 bolts and the gives you a ton of room.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ekaz, so I can leave the fender wells alone? I was wondering if I would need to get replacement plastic rivets for the fender well liners (needed if removing front bumper).

kmitch, I'll try, but no promises since it can be all too easy to get working and forget to take pictures, etc.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Completely understand. If you can, great... If not... no big deal.

Thanks ekaz, so I can leave the fender wells alone? I was wondering if I would need to get replacement plastic rivets for the fender well liners (needed if removing front bumper).

kmitch, I'll try, but no promises since it can be all too easy to get working and forget to take pictures, etc.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Any idea where its at? Searching for Cam Install yields 400 results...im on page 3 now
Its titled cam install library thread or something like that....
Here's the thread: http://www.lxforums.com/board/f88/cam-head-install-library-thread-114496/

no need to remove fenders, fender liners, front bumper cover, etc....

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
We remove the radiator just for the extra room. Some don't though but I heard it's tight. Don't forget a new cam bolt!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As stated above, no fender, front clip, fenderwell removal necessary.

On my 2009 (dont know if this is different between years), did have to drill out the rivet holding the washer bottle neck to the center brace support if you want to remove it. To be honest, it (the brace) probably could have just been left in. But removing it does give more room as someone above mentioned. Just used a nut, bolt, and washer instead of riveting it back.

One thing I noticed is to make absolutely sure you have all push rods in the cups on the rocker arms. We turned the engine over to watch all the push rods just to be sure. One was caught on the lip of the rocker. They are a pain to line up. Especially the ones on the top of the head because the push rods flop down very close to one of the supports or webbing on the head and it makes it hard to get your fingers in to grab the push rod. I used a small magnet bolt grabber to help hold the push rod and line it up. Just take your time and remember you can slide the rockers down the shaft a little and flip them over if they flip upside down when you are setting the rocker shaft on.

Here were a couple threads I had saved. I think the LX forum is one you were already referred to above.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27750&highlight=cam+install

http://lxforums.com/board/f71/instructions-tips-doing-cam-swap-86546/

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35718&highlight=cam+install

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
We just use a zip tie to hold the washer bottle.:D We always look for the easy way out on little stuff.:lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
forgot about drilling that rivet out....good catch. And I agree with Harrison on the zip tie. :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the cam bolt and crank bolt, header bolts, etc I think I am good there.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I got the cam bolt and crank bolt, header bolts, etc I think I am good there.
oem exhaust gaskets...the ones that come with headers suck

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
As stated above, no fender, front clip, fenderwell removal necessary.

On my 2009 (dont know if this is different between years), did have to drill out the rivet holding the washer bottle neck to the center brace support if you want to remove it. To be honest, it (the brace) probably could have just been left in. But removing it does give more room as someone above mentioned. Just used a nut, bolt, and washer instead of riveting it back.

One thing I noticed is to make absolutely sure you have all push rods in the cups on the rocker arms. We turned the engine over to watch all the push rods just to be sure. One was caught on the lip of the rocker. They are a pain to line up. Especially the ones on the top of the head because the push rods flop down very close to one of the supports or webbing on the head and it makes it hard to get your fingers in to grab the push rod. I used a small magnet bolt grabber to help hold the push rod and line it up. Just take your time and remember you can slide the rockers down the shaft a little and flip them over if they flip upside down when you are setting the rocker shaft on.

Here were a couple threads I had saved. I think the LX forum is one you were already referred to above.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27750&highlight=cam+install

http://lxforums.com/board/f71/instructions-tips-doing-cam-swap-86546/

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35718&highlight=cam+install
I know exactly what you are talking about and doing this part of it was a bit of a pain. Because I had to redo the passenger side at least twice and the driverside ast least once. We used the Millers Tool Jig to hold up all the exhaust Push rods up while I bolted done the rocker arms in a perticular sequence... I did the Cam install on my Rig back in early August with another member ( Thanks Ekaz:D) and all that hard work IMO as worth it.... This was also my very first time going into an engine like this as well... Now I know why these Techs charge what they do cuz its a lot of damn work!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you installing headers as well?
Yes. I was planning to re-use the stock header gaskets. Maybe I should scam a new set. Truck only has 15,000 on it. Going to leave the timing chain, etc alone.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts