Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pics of the jeep or jeep's that have the flat, satin, or silk paint job. Had a few questions about it.

1. How it looks
2. Any regrets
3. Does it reflect like a mirror or not so much
4. And anything different with cleaning/waxing
5. PICTURES PLEASE!

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. google "flat black jeep grand cherokee" go to images, lots of pics....
2. don' have any flat black vehicles but just painted a custom bike with
eastwood rat rod black and dulled clear.
3. not so much... check out google images..
4. cleaning is all together different, Do NOT WAX OR BUFF!!! All you can really do is clean with non-amonia based window cleaner and a microfiber cloth.

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you get it done, make sure they do it in a good paint booth, unless you don't care about dirt in the finish.... unlike base/clear paint you can't buff out any imperfections in the paint, what gets layed down in the booth is the final finish....

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you get it done, make sure they do it in a good paint booth, unless you don't care about dirt in the finish.... unlike base/clear paint you can't buff out any imperfections in the paint, what gets layed down in the booth is the final finish....
You've painted this before..... Is it an all together pain in the but to maintain and keep clean? And i'm guessing if dust gets in the paint they have to completely redue that area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes, just finished a bike, I do custom paint/airbrushing for a hobby. Had to clear the bike tank a few times before I was happy with it. I don't know where a mosquito came from in feb in NH ? but the little bugger made a splash down on the 3rd coat.... so had to wet sand and clear again the next day.

You can't redo any area, you have to do the whole panel when clearing....

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks so nice! That's pretty close to what I'm lookin at doin. How's the feel, and are finger prints a problem on that..... Not that anyone should be touching but you get that one person who wants to see how it feels ya know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they lay it down real wet it will lie pretty flat and feels smooth.... It does look Bad Ass don't it ? ;) The owner loves it ;) no real fingerprint issue's, just hit it with the non-amonia based window cleaner and microfiber cloth and it cleans up pretty good.

Just Remember don't get wax or a buffer anywhere near it!!!

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they lay it down real wet it will lie pretty flat and feels smooth.... It does look Bad Ass don't it ? ;) The owner loves it ;) no real fingerprint issue's, just hit it with the non-amonia based window cleaner and microfiber cloth and it cleans up pretty good.

Mike

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Yours sure looks shiny to be flat black. :confused:
I just looked on my invoice and all is says is the color is black clear coat so i was thinking it was flat black because the other black is call brilliant black clear coat.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just looked on my invoice and all is says is the color is black clear coat so i was thinking it was flat black because the other black is call brilliant black clear coat.
Oh, gotcha. Yours is gloss black and not flat. But it does look purdy!:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim,

The big difference is the clear coat, you can use regular glossy paint and put a dulled or flat clear over it and it looks "Flat Black".

I've done a satin finish where I took a DA with 3000 grit and hit a gloss finish, it looks satin. That's something you can just go over with 2000/3000 if you get a scratch in it ;)

Mike

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Mike
Haha got it no wax or buffer! That does look super hot! But it's probably a little easier to clean that bike :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts