Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some work on my engine bay, and now, my intake mani sticks out like a sore thumb. So i want to do something different, like always, and see about possibly painting it. I've seen many who have polished or powder coated, but i want to go in a different direction. My question is, how does the paint/clear coat hold up? I was told what i want to do will only be able to withstand a max temp of 325 degrees before the clear will start to yellow and/or crack. Does the manifold get hotter than that?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I think BlownWK has his painted a crinkle black paint. You may wanna PM him. You probably won't get a response from him until tonight though. Search his threads and you may find a pic of it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
everyone is doing the powdercoat thing these days so i want to be different. If what i try doesnt work like i want i'll end up powder coating probably black.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
yeah, mines powder coated silver.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
No I think Teds is powdercoated. The reason most people coat it is to smooth out the rough surface of the Alum. Paint kinda makes it more noticeable IMO. The coating is thicker and gives it more of a smoother finish.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Yeah mine is painted wrinkle black with high temp paint. It has held up great for over a year. This is the only pic I could find on my phone.

Attachments

Reactions: kmitch80

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting! And thanks for the heat gun reading to chris! I like the smooth look. I guess i always tought the powder coating wasnt smooth. Who knows, maybe i'll do both! Thanks fellas! Anyone else with pics?? It would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Yeah mine is painted wrinkle black with high temp paint. It has held up great for over a year. This is the only pic I could find on my phone.
That looks great :thinkerg:

·
Registered
770 Posts
That black intake mani looks nice!

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
powdered here :)

ill be painting the half covers the fan shroud and a few other pieces under the hood. might even do some air brushed skulls on the fan shroud

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Here's mine Before Vortech

Current

1 - 20 of 38 Posts