Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have started hearing a whistling noise coming from the breathing filter next to the cap of the motor oil. I removed the filter while engine was running and still heard a loud whistle noise coming from that small tube. Any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
that tube is nothing. it is a breather tube does not blow or suck. in most cases.

If you put your thumb over the tube does the whissling go away? if not you have a vaccum leaks somewhere else.

same for a.v. if you hearing whissling generally means you have a vac leak.

COuld be your gaskets you installed. SOrry if i am wrong on the thermo spacers as i dont know what that is , IF not the gaskets.

most shops have smokers they can inject smoke into your intake system and check for vac leaks. Best way to determine if you have a hose that has a cut in it or a gasket that is leaking.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
that tube is nothing. it is a breather tube does not blow or suck. in most cases.

If you put your thumb over the tube does the whissling go away? if not you have a vaccum leaks somewhere else.

same for a.v. if you hearing whissling generally means you have a vac leak.

COuld be your gaskets you installed. SOrry if i am wrong on the thermo spacers as i dont know what that is , IF not the gaskets.

most shops have smokers they can inject smoke into your intake system and check for vac leaks. Best way to determine if you have a hose that has a cut in it or a gasket that is leaking.
The whistling sound I get is from the breather filter that's on there, when I pull it off the whistling goes away. There is air being sucked in because I can feel a slight vacuum when I put my finger over the tube

·
Registered
27 Posts
the pcv system is not the greatest on these motors to begin with I would check and or replace your PCV valve. Technically you should not be getting vac from that port on the manifold. not enough vaccum to feel or hear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One i would check your catch can and two if it is full. empty it. or if it is empty and its been a while since you have emptied it, i would check PCV valve for opperation.

I too own a 6.1 and i too have the filter on the fitting. after working a days work at diablo I leave and go work at my shop in fort lauderdale where I work on Nothing but hemis. that area should not be giving you a wisseling noise and it says there is a blockage somewhere. cause that valve to become a vaccum port instead of just a crank case breather port, is saying something is up.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You talk about a blockage, you know how if you flip the intake manifold over and look at the part where the heads and manifold bolt together and where you put the gaskets on one side there is a vacuum port that is almost a kidney bean shape and the other side in the same spot has a circle and a square I think it is. My thermal spacers had the circle and other shape on both of them not one with a complete opening on one side, did I lose you? I hope not lol...anyway that would be a block and may be causing it since it didn't happen till after I installed the spacers

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am also getting a whistling noise but its comming from the right side of my motor as well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a catch can and i just emptied it but still hear it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i can look at a manifold later but I am curtain i do know what your talking about. On the side with the filler neck thats the ports that go down into the heads for oil fil etc. and same thing for the passenger side of motor it is the breather for crank case to the pcv system.

Just gunna ask do you think gaskets are on the wrong side
? cause those holes are important to the pcv system. and crank case pressures.
I have seen gaskets on the wrong sides. Just saying.

any time you hear whissling on idle its vaccum. and if you increase rpm vaccum should go away as your are going from vac to pressure.

The easiest way to determine if you have a vac leak is with a smoker device. even a slightly warn gasket cant create a whissle just not enough of a problem to feel in the motor etc.

I generally only see vac leaks when folks take there intakes off and dont replace with new gaskets. or blower applications etc.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Positive they are not on the wrong side they were identical because I questioned it before installing. If the whistle goes away when I take the filter off and then I just feel vacuum on the pipe. When I drive it does go away and I can actually hear it blow air out if my radio is off

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ill pull the manifold off and take them off. Ill either dremel out the opening or completely take them off because I plan on getting a vortech any way after christmas and can't run them with that I don't think.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
yea i believe its my PCV now that youve mentioned it. i have ordered that part. luckily only costed me like 10 bucks for this part. However i am definitley having some suction on that breather tube. One of my local Mechanics also breifly looked at it and said he thought the same thing regarding my PCV. The part will take about 3 days to come in. If this works i will let you all know so that hopefully we can helps others if they have the same problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
are you talking about if you remove the lower intake cover? if so that is on the PCV side. if you are talking about on the mounting flange then there is 1 on each side. just have different possitions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.