Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to anyone else? Took a corner a little to fast on a wet road, traction control kicked in briefly, but when I got to a stoplight just a few hundred feet ahead I pushed on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor!!! No trouble codes on the dash or with the predator. Any ideas?

· Registered
327 Posts
:eek: sounds scary man. never had it and i have had traction control go of on me thousands of times. goodluck

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
You ever change or check your brake fluid?

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Is it clear or black?

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Couldn't hurt to get it flushed. If you haven't done it. Factory brake fluid is horrible.

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Not sure. Go find a safe place and try stopping hard a few times.

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
What do you recommend for fluid Chad?

Jim
The best is Castrol SRF but also the most expensive. I use ATE Super Blue and Gold. Motul is good. Best thing is to just get rid of the stock fluid.

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Took the JEEP out for some hard stops and still have brakes, they just don't bite till the pedal is just about to the floor.
I would get that fluid changed.

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Took the JEEP out for some hard stops and still have brakes, they just don't bite till the pedal is just about to the floor.
You have some failed brake system component - get it fixed, don't mess with bad brakes!

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Update-- Turned out to be a bad master cylinder.
Well that's not good but atleast you found out what it was and got it fixed and didn't get into an accident.

Reactions: shlsrt

· Registered
18 Posts
Brakes squeel

Question - Anyone living in cold weather area's (like Calgary, AB) have trouble with brake noise when they wash the vehicle in the winter?
Just picked up my first SRT8. 2007 model and think I may have to tow it back to the dealership. Test drove on Saturday and they said they'd just done the brakes and they would clean them up by tonight. Thought nothing more about it until I drove it off the lot. Hit the brakes on the way home at normal pressure and they squeeled worse than a stuck pig. They said they'd just washed the vehicle and brakes are just froze, sound will go away. I live in Calgary and am used to washing vehicles in the winter and yes, brakes do freeze up a bit, but typically they thaw out within a few blocks. Question, did I just get hosed by the dealership or is this typical for an SRT8? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
Question - Anyone living in cold weather area's (like Calgary, AB) have trouble with brake noise when they wash the vehicle in the winter?
Just picked up my first SRT8. 2007 model and think I may have to tow it back to the dealership. Test drove on Saturday and they said they'd just done the brakes and they would clean them up by tonight. Thought nothing more about it until I drove it off the lot. Hit the brakes on the way home at normal pressure and they squeeled worse than a stuck pig. They said they'd just washed the vehicle and brakes are just froze, sound will go away. I live in Calgary and am used to washing vehicles in the winter and yes, brakes do freeze up a bit, but typically they thaw out within a few blocks. Question, did I just get hosed by the dealership or is this typical for an SRT8? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Go bed them in somewhere safe and stop braking like your grandmother. Don't coast with your foot lightly braking. Read below.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.