Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but I am dumbfounded at the moment. I have non alcoa forged rims on my 08 and just lately Ive been wanting to polish them up good after I finished my paint correction. I tried some mothers mag/alum polish, and got black residue which i thought only happens with raw aluminum wheels, are our wheels non-clearcoated if they are not alcoa forged? I thought for sure they are cleared. Thanks for any input guys, I'm sure I'm just being dumb. Thanks!

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
Get em chrome plated... Problem solved :D

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Yeah they're cleared.... But i agree with bjb... lol

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get em chrome plated... Problem solved :D
brian after seeing yours a while back I really have been thinking about it haha. but for now I gotta take care of them as best as I can.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I can polish these just like paint correct if they are cleared?

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good thats what i thought, looks like ill be having fun tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
You have to post pics when your done...... thanks.... lol!

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will do sir, if not tomorrow ill get em up. gotta find time to sneak the porter cable out!, Pictures to come!

·
Registered
806 Posts
i thought i remember reading on here that only the 09 and up haD the durabrite wheels that are clearcoated the black residue would indicate they are not cleared. And isnt the word durabrite stamped on the wheel as well

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats why I asked, black redisue would indicate raw aluminum. But why would they put raw aluminum wheels on this jeep?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Can't answer that but I'm sure they figured being an expensive high end vehicle that it would be getting frequent cleaning and be well taken care of. On the upside you don't ever have to worry about the clear peeling or yellowing as so many other vehicle wheels have
done . I just reread your original post u said it dosent say alcoa forged on your wheels .I have an 08 as well and mine do so now I'm wondering who has the original wheels and who has the replacements mine seem as if they might be cleared because I rubbed some never-dull on them and got no residue so I quit. So anyone else have the answer to this .

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have an 08'. Mine say Alcoa on em' Dunno if they're cleared or not. Maybe I'll check today just to get an answer for you guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts