Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cap on the engine says 0w-40 but ive also read 5w-40 which one? And also what synthetic brand do you guys recommend as it seems not all companies make these two weights.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I've always ran what is recommended for my 07. Mobil 1 0w-40.

I would say either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. That's what they've used from the factory for past SRTs

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Because 0-40 was so hard to get and living in ca i went to 5/30 as we here really dont need a multi grade oil. I did call the srt guys 4 yrs ago to verify if this would be ok because of my warranty and they said yes its ok.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Does it matter since the new ones have MDS? I know the 5.7 needs 5w-20 for the MDS to work. Same thing with the 6.4?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe that is wrong. I'm pretty sure our WK2 SRT8s take 0W40. Thats what it says on our oil fill cap and there was a "supplement" in my owner's manual that said 0W40 even though the owner's manual said 5W40. I would run Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple 0W50 and change it every 3,000 miles. The manual may say you can wait longer but there is no harm in changing it every 3,000 miles and its good peace of mind.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I believe that is wrong. I'm pretty sure our WK2 SRT8s take 0W40. Thats what it says on our oil fill cap and there was a "supplement" in my owner's manual that said 0W40 even though the owner's manual said 5W40. I would run Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple 0W50 and change it every 3,000 miles. The manual may say you can wait longer but there is no harm in changing it every 3,000 miles and its good peace of mind.
5-40, 0-40, same difference. It won't make a difference using either. The 5w-40 is usually easier to find.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts

Amsoil recommends 5w-40 European car furmula for the 6.4 Hemi as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the 5W40 and 0W40 were the same then Chryco would not have gone to the trouble to put a supplement in our owner's manual to indicate that 0W40 is preferred (they must have had a good reason to clarify it). I agree that 5W40 and 0W40 are very similar but they are not identical. Its also possible that Amsoil listed their oil before they new that Chryco made a clarification in their recommended oil viscosity. I would stick with the exact viscosity of 0W40 that is recommended. Its not worth the headache if you have a warranty claim on the motor.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use ENOS ( by NIPPON) 5w-40 European Blend..the best i have used so far. I used it on my race cars (0w-50) and on the Jeep now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
when chrysler went bankrupt. mobil 1 was affected by the reoranization.pennzoil became the supplier and they do not have a 0/40 just a 5/40 that is how it became acceptible.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would run Mobil 1, Amsoil or Royal Purple 0W50 and change it every 3,000 miles. The manual may say you can wait longer but there is no harm in changing it every 3,000 miles and its good peace of mind.
A waste of time, and a waste of a lot of money. The whole point of synthetic is for a cleaner, better oil that lasts longer. You still want to change every 3,000, then save half the cost and use standard oil. It's 2011, plenty of results showing synthetic can go much longer than 3,000 miles without needing a change and with no harmful effects on an engine.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
If the 5W40 and 0W40 were the same then Chryco would not have gone to the trouble to put a supplement in our owner's manual to indicate that 0W40 is preferred (they must have had a good reason to clarify it). I agree that 5W40 and 0W40 are very similar but they are not identical. Its also possible that Amsoil listed their oil before they new that Chryco made a clarification in their recommended oil viscosity. I would stick with the exact viscosity of 0W40 that is recommended. Its not worth the headache if you have a warranty claim on the motor.
when chrysler went bankrupt. mobil 1 was affected by the reoranization.pennzoil became the supplier and they do not have a 0/40 just a 5/40 that is how it became acceptible.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with "what's best" for your engine......it has everything to do with which oil manufacturer paid Chryco to be the main supplier, and what weights of oil they produce.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
A waste of time, and a waste of a lot of money. The whole point of synthetic is for a cleaner, better oil that lasts longer. You still want to change every 3,000, then save half the cost and use standard oil. It's 2011, plenty of results showing synthetic can go much longer than 3,000 miles without needing a change.
Agreed, if you're not changing your oil change intervals to 5000-7500 miles with synthetics....you are wasting serious money. Oil analysis can stretch your oil changes even further. Make sure you use good oil filters too, no cheap shit. Amsoil, K&N, and Mobil 1 are the top choices for oil filters. IMO, Amsoil has the best oil filter on the market right now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A waste of time, and a waste of a lot of money. The whole point of synthetic is for a cleaner, better oil that lasts longer. You still want to change every 3,000, then save half the cost and use standard oil. It's 2011, plenty of results showing synthetic can go much longer than 3,000 miles without needing a change and with no harmful effects on an engine.
The synthetic oil may be able to last longer but contaminents get in just as quickly with synthetic as with conventional oil. I change my oil myself at 3,000 miles and use Mobil 1 along with a Mobil 1 filter to keep the engine as free of contaminents as possible since I drive my vehicles hard. In a labratory environment where no contaminents can enter, then, yes, the synthetic can maintain its lubricating properties longer than conventional oil but I would never go longer than 3,000 or 4,000 miles between changes regardless of what type of oil you use. For a daily driven car, changing the oil and using a good filter every 3,000 miles keeps the crap out. So, even if the synthetic can go longer, it still gets foreign contaminents in it. I use it because I think it doesn't break down as fast under extreme conditions and I save a few bucks by changing it myself. If you want to go 7,000 or 10,000 miles between changes, that is your option, but not me. That way if I want to hammer it on a 90 degree day, I know that my oil is in good shape.

·
Registered
333 Posts
your oil is still in good shape in 90 degree weather. Regardless, glad you like to waste your time and money changing oil. Not me and many others though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
EXACTLY the reason why Mobil1 is not the supplier anymore and why dealers/Chrysler recommends 5w-40.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.