Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Radiator cap not coolant tank. Let run 5-10 minutes and give it a small rev or 2. Should clear the air out of the system. No AC, just heat. Let it cool down and put the cap back on. You’ll see the coolant bubbling while it’s running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, wasn't quite sure but should I put the heating inside the car on full? Full speed on fans and maximum degrees on climate control while doing this?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yes, full blast.

Reactions: CEk

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Got an update? How did you make out?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got an update? How did you make out?

Didn't have time to try it out last night, but gonna try it tonight after work! If coolant level is between add and full, I shouldn't have to add any more before trying right?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Nope, should be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nope, should be fine.

So, had to put some coolant in cause tank looked empty. Removed the cap and ran for 10 minutes, temp went up to 215. Put the cap back on and drove it around the block and I ran up to 239, went back and standing on my parking now with engine running and I went down to like 220 where it is now. Now it’s slowly going up slighly again. What the hellcan be the problem? Can’t here any whining sound from the pump or so either.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
So then you may be going down the rabbit hole I went down last year. Chasing a over heating issue. Start cheap then go high.
Check:
Fan relays
Fan (may be spinning but not correctly and beginning to die)
Water pump
AC condenser (this was my issue)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So then you may be going down the rabbit hole I went down last year. Chasing a over heating issue. Start cheap then go high.
Check:
Fan relays
Fan (may be spinning but not correctly and beginning to die)
Water pump
AC condenser (this was my issue)

Yeah, might have to. A mechanic friend of mine suggested removing the t-stat and try and run it. Guess that would be the first "easy" attempt. My guess is still the water pump as I've heard some whining sounds every now and then. But yeah, gonna check of your list as well. But if the fan relay is bad, then I guess the fan shouldn't run at all right?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
No. There are 2 relays, 1 hi and 1 lo speed, could just be 1 out. They are not expensive at the auto parts store, make sure you get the 5 prong replacements. I’ve had my fan die on me as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No. There are 2 relays, 1 hi and 1 lo speed, could just be 1 out. They are not expensive at the auto parts store, make sure you get the 5 prong replacements. I’ve had my fan die on me as well.
Good luck.

Thanks man! I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good luck.

Hm, when I checked now the coolant tank was empty again but no leak under the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I've heard a short whining sound (quite rarely, not a constant sound) the last weeks, yesterday I was on my way home after doing some fun driving, some WOT's and so on. When pulling up to my parking spot I hear the whining sound again, this time a bit louder and I start seeing smoke coming out of the engine bay. Turn off the car and pops the hood, and it smells coolant and it's been sprayed around the left side of the engine bay. Can't see any loose hoses and coolant tank looks full as it should, and it doesn't seem to leak when just standing.

Can it be a bad water pump and anyone have a good idea how to find what's wrong?
Likely the Water pump. The Achilles Heel of these beasts.
Or, as with my 2018, the trans cooler has a leak - but if you think the noise was associated with the leak, I’d bet on the water pump.
If no longer under warranty, replace the unit yourself - if you are of a mechanical mind.
If not, pay a local shop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Likely the Water pump. The Achilles Heel of these beasts.
Or, as with my 2018, the trans cooler has a leak - but if you think the noise was associated with the leak, I’d bet on the water pump.
If no longer under warranty, replace the unit yourself - if you are of a mechanical mind.
If not, pay a local shop.
Yeah, seems like it can be. Gonna try and check of the other potentials this weekend otherwise I'll replace the water pump. Pretty mechanical minded, but anyone know a write up/guide anyways maybe if it's been posted here somewhere earlier?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Any 6.1 hemi YouTube video should work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I've been topping up coolant, run it around the block, still gets overheated. Shuts off, then a bit later coolant is empty again. So I'm thinking maybe it's just that I have to fill up coolant, maybe lost almost everything when elbow popped. Could this be it? Also should I burp it everytime I refill now? I've done that so far.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
You shouldn’t have to burp it just to add coolant to the reservoir tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You shouldn’t have to burp it just to add coolant to the reservoir tank.

OK, so as of now I fill it up and run it, it still runs hot then I shut it of and a while after coolant tank is empty again. But no leak underneath, so maybe system just needs to get refilled?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Dude! Check your oil! Make sure you don’t have a head gasket leak. If you do that explains a number of things. Make sure the oil looks good and not milky.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Dude! Check your oil! Make sure you don’t have a head gasket leak. If you do that explains a number of things. Make sure the oil looks good and not milky.

Cool, I'll make sure to check that as well. Loads of things to go through to localize this problem. Haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So, I’ve been topping up coolant, driving, topping up, driving for a few rounds tonight. Temp is back to normal now so (fingers crossed) the only problem seemed to be that plastic elbow. (And losing coolant in the process)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts