Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard a short whining sound (quite rarely, not a constant sound) the last weeks, yesterday I was on my way home after doing some fun driving, some WOT's and so on. When pulling up to my parking spot I hear the whining sound again, this time a bit louder and I start seeing smoke coming out of the engine bay. Turn off the car and pops the hood, and it smells coolant and it's been sprayed around the left side of the engine bay. Can't see any loose hoses and coolant tank looks full as it should, and it doesn't seem to leak when just standing.

Can it be a bad water pump and anyone have a good idea how to find what's wrong?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Coolant Spray is normal on the WK1 and whenever I have had whining it was my alternator the first time and the second was my AC compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant Spray is normal on the WK1 and whenever I have had whining it was my alternator the first time and the second was my AC compressor.

Hm, it's a lot so it doesn't feel normal. Whining is gone when I tried to start the car later on, so it's not a constant sound. Question is where the coolant came from? It's all over my CAI, almost hitting the electricity behind the headlamp also, doesn't feel too good to drive around with.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Mine generally sprays out a little from the cap. There are plenty of threads on it. Mine gets everywhere too. You can try the stant cap and see if it helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine generally sprays out a little from the cap. There are plenty of threads on it. Mine gets everywhere too. You can try the stant cap and see if it helps.

Alright, is it common on the Jeep specifically? This is my third 6.1 Hemi but never experienced it before, so just a bit confused and quite don't know where to start looking. You mean that the stant cap might be bad and a replacment could maybe fix it? Appriciate the answers!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think people have had success with the stant cap as a OEM replacement. After so long I’ve gotten used to it. I tend to only see the spray on hot days vs like a 70 degree day.
Like I said plenty of threads on it from the past, may hold better answers for you than my recollection of past threads.

Reactions: CEk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Possibly could be the plastic 90 degree elbow on the top rad hose has come loose. Worth a look there for sure.
Quite funny, I read this just after I took another look in the engine bay and it was exactly that! The elbow part is broken. My question now; is there a part number for just that? All I’ve found so far seems to be a new whole upper hose that costs around $100. Seems quite expensive for some plastic and rubber. 😂

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the one piece radiator hose. This is also a very common issue for the WK1. Search for one piece and you can get the part number.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the recommendations! Where do I search for one piece radiator hose? Guess there might be a problem finding that here in Sweden unfortunately but I’ll give it a try. Do really just wanna get the car running as soon as possible though so guess I have to get the crappy original one until I find a one piece model.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^ listen to them. When I got my WK1 I had spray so I did the stant cap and the one piece hose . Go to HHP and they should have a one piece for about $39 I believe. Get a razor blade and you might have to do a little trimming but not much.
Sadly my spray was coming from the reserve tank hose, where it connects into the fill area on the radiator it sprays, and I believe the plastic was broken so I just put zip ties on the hose and it helped.😅

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations! Where do I search for one piece radiator hose? Guess there might be a problem finding that here in Sweden unfortunately but I’ll give it a try. Do really just wanna get the car running as soon as possible though so guess I have to get the crappy original one until I find a one piece model.
This one is a little more pricey but it is a direct replacement and the shroud doesn’t need trimmed. I’ve been running it on mine for 2 years now and the only problem I had was the supplied hose clamps. Put it on with my factory clamps and not a problem!

HPS 57-1460-RED WK1 Silicone Radiator Hose Kit Coolant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CU0CG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YK5VJ4NCN8605MBTZV3W

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, did manage to get a hold of the Dayco 72226 and replaced that. Went for a 10 minute drive afterwards and temp went all the way on the gauge unfortunately. Any ideas what it can be then? Also still I occasionally hear a whining sound, which leads me to think it still might be the waterpump that is on the way of giving up. Any other ideas? Or does the system maybe to be ventialated or why did the temp go straight up? Still have coolant in the tank.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
After replacing you need to burp the system. Did you do that? Take cap off and let the car run for 5-10 minutes with the heat on full.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
After replacing you need to burp the system. Did you do that? Take cap off and let the car run for 5-10 minutes with the heat on full.

Did not do that, so fingers crossed. So I remove the radiator cap (or the coolant tank cap?) and let the car run on full heat (AC?) for 5-10 minutes, then shut it off and put the cap back on and hopefully good to go?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Did not do that, so fingers crossed. So I remove the radiator cap (or the coolant tank cap?) and let the car run on full heat (AC?) for 5-10 minutes, then shut it off and put the cap back on and hopefully good to go?
Radiator cap not coolant tank. Let run 5-10 minutes and give it a small rev or 2. Should clear the air out of the system. No AC, just heat. Let it cool down and put the cap back on. You’ll see the coolant bubbling while it’s running.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Radiator cap not coolant tank. Let run 5-10 minutes and give it a small rev or 2. Should clear the air out of the system. No AC, just heat. Let it cool down and put the cap back on. You’ll see the coolant bubbling while it’s running.

Alright, cool. Do I need to be aware about the temp meter, if it runs high should I turn off the car then or how should I monitor it? Still at bit worried it might be the pump considering I have a whining sound sometimes.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Definitely monitor the temp gauge. But once the air is being released the rig should run properly. If it gets too hot definitely shut down!

Reactions: CEk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely monitor the temp gauge. But once the air is being released the rig should run properly. If it gets too hot definitely shut down!

Alright, fingers crossed this will help. Thanks for helping out!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts