Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the stock exhaust, but it is just not cutting it for me anymore.
I am looking for the cheapest possible alternative to get a little more sound out of the jeep, but not have any drone on the highway at cruising speeds...
I have researched and here is what I have come up with:
My first option would be to install a Magnaflow catted x pipe and keep stock muffler and resonators. Would removing the resonators in addition to the x pipe help any with the overall sound or would the added drone not be worth it?
My second option would be to leave everything stock except the resonators.
I have the necessary tools to jack the jeep up. Ideally I would like to be able to unbolt the stock exhaust and replace it by bolting in whatever I decide to go with. If this isn't possible I have a local exhaust shop that can do whatever I ask them to. :)
Money is tight right now so a catback exhaust would be out of the question especially with gas prices the way they are :(
Thanks!

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
The cheapest way to get sound is to cut your stock muffler off and weld in a performance muffler. in addition to that, you could hack off the resonators too.

·
That guy..
1,282 Posts
Go to a muffler shop and pay 60$ cash to remove the resonators. I love the sound of mine. No reso's and decent rumble. Without the drone

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have my rear resonaters out and even tho it deff did get a bit louder it might not be as much as ur looking for. i might just be used to the sound tho so it cant hurt to try

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
DO NOT remove the resonators... cut the center suitcase out. The resonators are what kills the drone.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have a little drone but its not annoying at all. i dont even notice it. just my .02

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
^^ and the muffler is whats creating the back pressure. if you opt to cut the big muffler in the middle out you NEED to replace it with another kind of muffler or youll be loosing a nice amount of power.

when i pulled the resonators out of my magnaflow kit it didnt seem too bad at the time but the drone does get louder as the kit breaks in and on the HWY it will get annoying...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DO NOT remove the resonators... cut the center suitcase out. The resonators are what kills the drone.
Thanks for the input... I don't want any drone whatsoever and certainly no power loss...
Could I purchase a muffler that would bolt on so I could do it myself? I really like the sound of BB. Love the borla stinger but it's just too loud for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After hearing this
I'm in love... I knew corsa and borla were both solid exhaust choices no matter the vehicle, but the corsa is so dang expensive. Would it be possible for me to get ahold of a corsa muffler that I could have installed by my exhaust shop with the same inlets and outlets as the stock exhaust? I hear it has no drone? Is this true?
The B&B would be my second choice. Could I get just a B&B muffler to directly swap in?

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Weld in some curious and be done with it!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just ripped out my reso's and mufflers on the borla cat back and holy sheet its damn loud!

·
Registered
463 Posts
DMH cut outs. open them up when you want sound. close them when you don't.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone on here run a flowmaster muffler? I have heard them on other 6.1s and prefer the sound it to the magnaflow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too was thinking about hacking off the resonators, but afraid of what it will sound like and if I dont like it it will be a pain to have the resonators welded back in.

I do want something a little louder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of muffler the Corsa kit has? You're right, the kit is mad expensive...if we could just weld those in and see what it brings.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Welding in parts of the Corsa won't give you the Corsa sound you hear in the vid. It is all designed to work together. The straight through mufflers, x-pipe, and resonators were designed to work together to get that cool rumble with no drone. I love mine and would not consider anything else. You definitely get what you pay for with the Corsa. Just added the 5" slant cut tips in powder black today and it looks meaner than ever!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts