Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up my Volant CAI a couple weeks ago and finally got around to installing it. I will start off by saying this install was one of the biggest hassles i've encountered relative to how basic of an instal this should've been. If i did it over again, i would go with a Bwoody setup, but now that my Volant is on...it's staying on dammit :)

1. So the install starts off with the negative battery terminal removal (should be easy enough for any of you)

2. Then the 6 plastic clips that hold the grill on come off (easy again), just tilt the grill forward and it slides out of it's plastic holders down at the base of the grill after the clips are removed:

3. Then i removed the top of the stock airbox (2 clips hold it on), and i removed the plastic tubing between it and the throttle body (2 clamps - easy).

4. Once the top of the airbox is off and the grill is removed, you can remove the 6-8" long piece of plastic the stock SRT8 uses as it's air inlet between the passenger headlight and the radiator. This took a little "fiddling", but what holds it in place is a small tab at the bottom of where it connects to the base of the airbox...just get a small screwdriver in there and play with it a bit, it will come off:

5. Then the Coolant resevoir is removed, there is 1 bolt holding it down on the base of it (10mm or so, can't remember now), and then there is a metal clips that holds the top side of the resevoir against the right fenderwell...i had to break this clip to get it off with pliers:

6. At this stage remove the only bolt that holds the stock airbox base in place (i used an extension on my socket to get this off (keep the bolt as you will reuse it):

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
7. Once you have that bolt off, the base of the airbox is held in place by a small plastic tip that goes through a rubber grommet (you can see this from under the vehicle if you jack it up and get under the passenger front wheel)...all you need to do here is pull like hell and it will pop out.

8. At this stage you install the L Bracket included with your kit on the only small hold with the long part of the bracket against the Volant Intake, and the small portion sticking out...you will see there is some play with this bracket meaning that you can adjust it up or down depending on what you feel best to do. I had my flange tightened near the "highest" level possible so that when i put the "stock airbox bolt w included washer" through it, the tension would help to sinch down the Volant Intake into place...if you mount the flange too low down when you put your stock airbox bolt w washer through it, you will run out of threads in that bolt as it goes through the stock mounting point (...if this doesn't make sense, try it and you'll see what i mean). It would almost be better to use 4 washers with this install vs the 1 they included...that would likely fix this issue.

9. Now you may or may not find any issues slipping your Volant CAI into the space where the stock airbox was, but i found i had to wiggle mine in, and when i had it "loosely" sitting there i thought to myself "F*CK" this is a horrible fit, and why would Volant have made their box so damn big. Anyways it's here i started running into problems.

I started by putting the stock airbox bolt with supplied washer through the L Bracket to get this airbox resting in place and snugged it down.

10. I then reinstalled the 6-8" long stock airbox tube that was squashed between the passenger headlight and radiator into the opening in the Volant CAI...this took a little wiggling to get it into place correctly.

11. At this point i reinstalled the coolant resevoir into place and you can see how much pressure/tension is put onto that stock line with the Volant CAI in place:

I removed my line, ran to the parts store and picked up a line of similar diameter, but had it cut around 6 inches longer to make this install work...which i installed when all was said and done.

12. At this point this is where i wanted to crush my new CAI and i cussed like a MOFO. After much finaggling with the intake tube, clamps and Volant silicone coupler i found the best way (not easiest - because this was anything but) to do this is to get the silicone coupler on the black plastic intake elbow first and put the 2 clamps on it loosely. Then with this elbow, silicone coupler and clamps on 1 piece, try to insert this coupler onto the stock throttle body.

I found it easiest to hold the elbow straight up in the air with the coupler and clamps facing the ground, i then guided it down into the radiator shroud and fought with with silicone coupler attaching itself to the throttle body for around 30 minutes...i ended up using a small piece of dull metal (about the width of a pen) and used that to help get the coupler into place.

I cannot emphasize how much of a pain in the A&& this was, but it finally got on.

13. Then you turn the elbow to the side so that it extends into the Volant CAI Box, and then get your big blue air filter in there and wiggle that into place (again, there is very little room to do this, so be patient and it will go on).

At this stage i had the biggest of the supplied clamps on the plastic elbow "OUTSIDE" of the airbox as the supplied air filter has a rubber neck that extends OUT of the box where you clamp it down.

14. I then installed the stock (air temp sensor) into the rubber grommet on the side of the intake (which is easy)...but i see i forgot to mention removing this stupid piece from the stock intake tubing earlier in my writeup.

I disconnected the stock ATS wiring harness from the stock intake tube, but when i tried "prying" the ATS out of the intake, i broke off a small portion of the outer plastic ring off, but was eventually able to get a very thin screwdriver deep in between the sensor and it's stock opening and pried it out without breaking the actual sensor. (This was a bit of a PITB too as like me you will try to do this without breaking anything).

14. Bolt the top Volant Cover in place, attach your negative battery terminal and fire your beast up. This is the final product:

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After i installed the CAI, i refilled the coolant resevoir and went for a drive, immediately i noticed a small increase in power (seat in the pants), and the intake sound was deeper, a little louder and more aggressive.

I had a hard time not giving my Jeep a little throttle afterwards :)

The only thing i see i have to do after going for a break in drive, is readjust one of the clamps on the intake tube near the throttle body which moved a little bit, but otherwise, so far so good.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Good job man.

Hehe, If you think that's a hassle put a bwoody on a WK2 ;)

I ran the Volant on my WK1 and that install was a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
2014 Jeep SRT
639 Posts
what happened? lol, I put mine in within a matter of minutes, including the dual snorkel mod. interesting but great write-up...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.