Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard people giving advice about how to debadge your cars and every person has the same or similar advice. Heat it up and peel it off and use whatever solvent to clean off gummy foam residue. WRONG. Watch this video and you will never do it like that again.

Here is how it works. Cooling makes the adhesive brittle and a quick pull will make it break free all at once leaving no glue behind. Heat just makes the foam and glue more gummy and leaves a mess to clean up.

Step 1: Cool the badging that you want to remove with an ice pack or some frozen peas.
Step 2: Slip a flexible plastic card under the lip of the badging.
Step 3: Give it a quick tug
Step 4: Wipe your finger prints off. (no gummy residue)
Step 5: Pass this info along the next time someone asks for the best way to debadge.

I don't know how to imbed the video so here is a link, and below is a picture after giving it a wipe with detailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 2 minutes or so, but the hood was hot because I had just gotten it home.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I wonder if you could use a can of that compressed air to clean keyboards and such to give it a shot behind the badge.....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So basically if you live in the north, wait for a below zero day and pop the badges off ?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yup, that's 0 C up here. Ya know, where water freezes :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if you could use a can of that compressed air to clean keyboards and such to give it a shot behind the badge.....
Actually a very good idea. I have considered it but was a little afraid of damaging the paint because if I remember correctly is comes out at about -25C. That said, I just read and article about using compressed air can upside down to remove dents in cars. I may give that a go the next time.

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
Looks like you could lose a eye with that procedure!! LOL

·
Registered
467 Posts
And your paint it totally unscathed? Us here in the NE can just leave the truck outside and let it cool, then pop them off.

Bookmarked, thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And your paint it totally unscathed? Us here in the NE can just leave the truck outside and let it cool, then pop them off.

Bookmarked, thanks!
Paint is perfectly unscathed. One wipe with detailer afterward and the result is the picture I attached. No glue or residue left at all.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
lol i'm sorry but that's not how u (safely) de-badge something.. it is a good way to mess up the paint or scratch it..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol i'm sorry but that's not how u (safely) de-badge something.. it is a good way to mess up the paint or scratch it..
Please explain? I have used this technique many times and NEVER, not one time damaged or scratched the paint. Have you had a different experience or are you making an assumption? I started using this technique when I was debadging my Avalanche. I started the job using heat and dental floss on the LTZ badge but the glue left behind took so much effort to take off that there was a noticeable rub spot when it did not have a fresh coat of wax. I switched to the cold method for the rest of the vehicle and had no issues. Since then I have debadged about 15 vehicles (Cadillacs, Jeeps, BMW, Chevys, Fords) without any issue. But if you have had a different experience, please share.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Just debaged my 2012 tonight, took 20 minutes with a piece of twine, I debage all of my cars and these just popped off.....pop them off and clean with somengood wax.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I'm a rookie here....

What's the point of "debadging"? Just so your car is all one color? You don't want people to know that it's a Jeep? Looks cooler without the brand on the vehicle?

Do you cover up the Nike on your shoe? How about use a sharpy on the Sony on your flatscreen? People with MercedesBenzs, Lambos, and BMWs don't "debadge"!? Why Jeeps? If you say it's a race car thing, then why all Nascar race cars have a tons of advertising companies on their car!?

I don't get it so please share your thoughts on it!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just debaged my 2012 tonight, took 20 minutes with a piece of twine, I debage all of my cars and these just popped off.....pop them off and clean with somengood wax.
Right on. Did you cool it first?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's the point of "debadging"? Just so your car is all one color? You don't want people to know that it's a Jeep? Looks cooler without the brand on the vehicle?

Do you cover up the Nike on your shoe? How about use a sharpy on the Sony on your flatscreen? People with MercedesBenzs, Lambos, and BMWs don't "debadge"!? Why Jeeps? If you say it's a race car thing, then why all Nascar race cars have a tons of advertising companies on their car!?

I don't get it so please share your thoughts on it!
Personal preference, and yes, many people with MercedesBenzs, Lambos, and BMWs do the same thing. Personally, I think it looks cleaner, but I left the SRT8 badge because I think it is a very good looking badge. So, it the badges from the factory look good to me, I will keep them, if not, they go. Just like some people like to tint their windows, change their wheels, antenna, racing stripes, exhaust tip.... the list goes on. It is a cosmetic alteration that is done because the owner likes it. Plain and simple.

As for covering the logo on my Nike's. No I don't, but I think the Nike logo is much cooler than the Jeep logo type, but that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
i will always have the feeling in the back of my head that the paint will crack. ive used cold to break stuff off other things that i dont care for looks on... that might be why

1 - 20 of 34 Posts