Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday during work i drove my jeep to the back of my work to run it through the car wash. as i was turning my rig to punch in the code (just moving from idle... not hitting the pedal at all) and it took off! i had to stomp on the brakes with both feet... and then it took off again almost sending me into the back of the building. i threw it in neutral and then it died out! i have been having some issues but nothing like this!

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
A surge from hell!! What mod's?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i remember reading a thread on this quite a while back. The member drove right through the back of his garage. Don't drive it anymore until you have it towed to the dealer for inspection.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A surge from hell!! What mod's?
yeah! definitely can not have this happening... indy stage II heads, PPP ported intake, MM ported throttle body, comp custom cams (which i dont really know the specs on), kooks headers and cats, magnaflow exhaust, dual walboro fuel pumps.

·
Live For Today!!!
1,050 Posts
i remember another thread had to do with the OP not being allowed to put his jeep through a car wash. did a quick search on google and theres a bunch of complaints regarding it, even a youtube video.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i remember another thread had to do with the OP not being allowed to put his jeep through a car wash. did a quick search on google and theres a bunch of complaints regarding it, even a youtube video.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Sudden Acceleration (Not Just Toyota!) - YouTube
wow thats crazy! i do know that alot of these pedal assemblies for the different manufacturers come from the same company... i work at a toyota store. haha so i am very familiar with the toyota "problem" but i'm sure in my case it would just get blamed on the mods!

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Your tune is off......

·
4,862 Posts
Your tune is off......
Agreed! When my Jeep was being worked on at another "undisclosed location" it had surging issues, throttle hang and many other undesirable driving glitches. :eek:

For the past 1 1/2 my Jeep now purr's like a kitten.

Your mod's aren't super radical, you may me better to load a canned tune in there until you have a chance to have your custom tune looked at.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed! When my Jeep was being worked on at another "undisclosed location" it had surging issues, throttle hang and many other undesirable driving glitches. :eek:

For the past 1 1/2 my Jeep now purr's like a kitten.

Your mod's aren't super radical, you may me better to load a canned tune in there until you have a chance to have your custom tune looked at.
i'm running the stock TCM... yeah... johan wants me to do some data logging but i've never done it before... :confused: but also i had some ETC problems that the dealer never really fixed. could it be something involved with that?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
i'm running the stock TCM... yeah... johan wants me to do some data logging but i've never done it before... :confused: but also i had some ETC problems that the dealer never really fixed. could it be something involved with that?
If / when you come up here for he axle I can assist with logging.

Reactions: pimpski25

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our local car wash requires that I go through with the hazards on. Must be a big problem.

wow thats crazy... so the good ole chrysler group is sure doing a good job at doing absolutely nothing for this problem ehh?? HA That's great!

·
4,862 Posts
wow thats crazy... so the good ole chrysler group is sure doing a good job at doing absolutely nothing for this problem ehh?? HA That's great!
I'm pretty sure a stock vehicle with a OEM calibration does not have this problem. The basic problem is tuners that just want to make power and have no regard for drivability issues.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I highly doubt enough tuned Jeeps go through this car wash, Id go so far as to say I have the first and only, especially because the other SRTs in my area aren't tuned, and don't go through car washes.

I think this problem is with Grand Cherokees in general and not necessarily SRTs.

·
4,862 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take a look... You wont find the Grand Cherokee listed here...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
i see what you're saying... but i work at a dealership... and it's absolutely amazing the recalls or "campagnes" (as some manufacturers like toyota call them) that basically get swept under the rug. i work at a toyota store... and the negative impact on the sales side with the unexpected acceleration recall was horrible... sales came to a hault country wide! no manufacturer wants to have this recall labled to their brand. also most pedal assemblies come from the same company for all brands of vehicles. the company is in elkhart only about 20 mins from me... but if you saw the video posted on this thread earlier it was an older regular jeep grand cherokee... so i'm guessing the tuning could maybe amplify the problem... but it's there before that tune ever hits the vehicle...

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
i see what you're saying... but i work at a dealership... and it's absolutely amazing the recalls or "campagnes" (as some manufacturers like toyota call them) that basically get swept under the rug. i work at a toyota store... and the negative impact on the sales side with the unexpected acceleration recall was horrible... sales came to a hault country wide! no manufacturer wants to have this recall labled to their brand. also most pedal assemblies come from the same company for all brands of vehicles. the company is in elkhart only about 20 mins from me... but if you saw the video posted on this thread earlier it was an older regular jeep grand cherokee... so i'm guessing the tuning could maybe amplify the problem... but it's there before that tune ever hits the vehicle...
If you have the Sprint Booster mod done to your tune try having your tuner take it off just to see how your jeep reacts to it... Just an idea... The Sprint Booster mod makes the pedal a bit more sensitive... Also look at your actual pedal assembly and see if there is a little Viacom device on it as your jeep might have it installed with out you even knowing... Your jeep.was once at Performance Autowerks in Osego, Illinois and they were a Sprint Booster dealer....

Reactions: pimpski25

·
Registered
673 Posts
Swap out your shifter assembly, or at the very least take it apart and clean the contacts on it. There is a post here on how to do it, do a search.

Another member posted about the exact same thing (involuntary acceleration) when he was leaving the gym....he gave the throttle a little blip in the parking lot and it just kept going full blast. He had both feet on the brake almost to the floor, swerving around objects in the parking lot when it finally let up and came to a halt. Immediately he got the 4 circles around the P-R-N-D indicator on the dash. A telltale sign of a bad shifter assembly.

I think this assembly, when not working right, can cause an issue with the car and the throttle-by-wire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.