Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my jeep a few months ago with 65k it's a 07
from day 1 it sounded like it had a exhaust leak put on the lift
Could not find the leak I didn't really inspected Headers to well
Gotta look again I know one of my injectors are noisy
Because I can feel it. Ok anyways here's my problem now
The other day I changed my oil I used mobile 1 5-40
Now I get a light tap only at a certain RPM between 1100-1300
Rpm's But it goes away when I give gas passed that rpm range and if I get on it hard
It goes away altogether no noise at any RPM range

· Registered
300 Posts
You may also try factory oil weight and a bottle of Lucas oil additive which takes the place of one of your quarts. It's good for cold starts as well cause its thick. I like it :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

· Registered
524 Posts
My '07 did the EXACT same thing! The dealer replaced all of the lifters under warranty, and the ticking went away. For a while.

When it started ticking again, I asked them if it could possibly be a problem with with the oiling system, like maybe a restricted oil passage in the block? They said maybe, but they were instructed by Daimler Chrysler to replace the lifters again. I said OK but I wanted to look at the old lifters, and that if it starts ticking again, I wanted a new engine. They agreed, and put in another set of lifters. There were a few lifters from the one side that looked like they could have been oil-starved, but no real smoking gun there.

Once again, the ticking went away for a while, but came back. After taking it back in and asking for the engine to be replaced, they said they had to get a rep from DC to look at it in person to authorize a replacement engine. A few days later, they got approval to replace the engine, but there were none to be had at the time. I got it back and drove the snot out of it until they called to let me know the new engine was in.

Now it's been over 10,000 miles without any issues whatsoever. I had noticed over the years that the oil ran a little hot, especially if pulling a 3500 pound trailer at 70+, so I installed an auxilliary oil cooler. It used to go right up to 250 before I'd have to back off and let it cool. Now it rarely gets above 220-225, with it normally staying below 215. If you oil temp run a little high, I'd consider an oil cooler, once you get the lifter tick fixed.

Good luck, and I hope you don't have to replace your engine.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.