Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, for the life of me, can't get the freaking Upper Control Arm to separate from the spindle so I can remove the springs!

I have tried everything from pushing up on the UCA by hand to beating the spindle with the rubber mallet as mentioned in another install thread, and even went as far as to knock on the bottom of the bolt to try and break it free.

NOTHING has worked and my wife is going to kill me if I don't give her the Jeep back tomorrow complete.

Please, someone, tell me how in the hell to separate these two so I can complete the job.

I have attached a picture for what its worth.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Tyler

Attachments

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Without putting a fork in it your just going to have to keep hitting it with the mallet. Use some wd40 too. I remember this being a pain in the ass. It will come off though. Use a small sledge if you can, just not too hard to dent anything. It'll vibrate it loose easier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
Put something over it and whack the shit out of it with a small sledge. Use a piece of wood to keep the metal from metal contact of a sledge. Both of mine when I changed them out on my '10 popped right out easy. Good luck, you are doing it right.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it with a fork on loan from O'Reillys.

Shit of the deal is, I said F**k it after I couldn't get the strut out after 45 minutes of pushing, twisting, pulling, etc. and just put it all back together.

The rig is going to get new shoes on Saturday along with an alignment, so I'll just have them complete the fronts.

I feel so defeated and womanly right now. This is the first auto project I haven't been able to complete since I started working on cars years ago. I'm so pissed off......

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
you see the flat surfaces on the side of the spindle. hit the shit out of them with a sledge and it will pop out. dont worry about denting it. it wont hurt a thing.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Haha, even though this is outdated a bit. But why does everyone want to beat it with a hammer. For a couple bucks you can by the tool to pop it apart. Or, you can always rent the tool. I'm a fan of the right tool for the job. I don't want mangled suspension parts when I'm doing 155+ mph lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Ive done dozens of suspension jobs. Always done it this way and never had a problem

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't argue with using the right tool, but I have also used sledge hammers in the past. I'll tell you what - a rubber mallet was never going to do it!! You need to wail these things pretty hard with a 4 pound sledge to break em loose!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Ive done dozens of suspension jobs. Always done it this way and never had a problem
Yes it works, I don't argue that. But like I said there is a proper tool for it. We all have our ways of doing it. Not trying to argue. Just an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I don't argue with using the right tool, but I have also used sledge hammers in the past. I'll tell you what - a rubber mallet was never going to do it!! You need to wail these things pretty hard with a 4 pound sledge to break em loose!
With the tool mine popped apart very easy, just a couple turns of the wrench. My thought is what happens if you miss when your beat the $hit outta it. Gonna hit something...

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
What tool did you use?
The tool in the bottom left of the photo. Called a Pitman Arm Puller & Tie Rod Puller IIRC

I bought this kit a while back ago to add to my tool collection
http://www.sears.com/kd-tools-front-end-service-kit/p-00996453000P

To do it, just break the nut on the control arm loose and back it down a few threads. Put the puller on there and then give it a few turns and the joint pops right apart. Very simple. Since you backed the control arm nut down the stud a few turns it'll keep everything together once it pops apart. Then just finish backing the nut off and support the steering knuckle.

You can buy that tool buy itself at the local auto shop store/harbor freight for like 10 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts