Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving home last night and spot my wife & kids up ahead in the inside lane. I cruise up next to them travelling at about 80kph and my son shouts out to "rev the engine dad" Well who am I to disappoint, so i shift to neutral and rev the engine - not hard but just enough to hear the rumble. I shift back into drive ready to blast away from them and the engine bogs down - doesnt stall but sits at idle and no pressing on the gas pedal will make it pick up. As I slow down, the power suddenly comes back and away I go. Ran a scan to see if any codes showed but nothing?

Anyone had a similiar experience? I guess it could be just one of those things were the computer gets confused for a couple of seconds but thought I'd check :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like you have experienced the infamous limp mode. Generally it doesn't throw any codes or activate the CEL. Can be caused by a number of things, but at your miles and model year probably is the electronic shift module (ESM). The contacts and circuit boards get dirty and cause unexpected episodes of limp mode. Most dealers want $1000+ to replace the module, but it can be cleaned. There is a thread (with photos) on this site on how to do this. Takes about an hour if you have the tools and technical skills. I don't, but I persuaded my dealer to clean it. He charged me for one hour, and I haven't had a limp mode episode for the last 1500 miles. Give it a try.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My truck has done this twice. One time after taking some turns rather fast but once I came out of the curve it had no pedal. I had to roll to the side of the road and put it in park turn off and back on. Both times came after sharp turns. The 2nd time I was stuck in the middle lane with traffic on both sides. I barely made it over. I would have to say it is the worst thing about this truck. It has 15K mi low for an 07

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Ummm, these trucks do not like going into to neutral while moving..

Everything is electronic...

Its not like an old dodge with cable drivin shifter and cable drivin throttle body..

Even if your backing out of a parking space and hit drive before stopping it has to think about it..

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
I agree with Rocky... Not sure the trans likes neutral and then back into gear at those speeds. I think there is some "abuse logic" in the transmission that takes over.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Yup LIMP mode......

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I agree with Rocky... Not sure the trans likes neutral and then back into gear at those speeds. I think there is some "abuse logic" in the transmission that takes over.
X3 same thing Rocky, I agree.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Abuse logic" - love it!

All good points guys - its never done it under any other circumstances but I can replicate it every time shifting to neutral/back into drive so I'll go with the abuse diagnosis.

Duly noted - No more blipping the throttle when overtaking the wife & kids :p

Thanks all!

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
"Abuse logic" - love it!

All good points guys - its never done it under any other circumstances but I can replicate it every time shifting to neutral/back into drive so I'll go with the abuse diagnosis.

Duly noted - No more blipping the throttle when overtaking the wife & kids :p

Thanks all!
Yeh I've done it twice at about 20, first time I was like WTF. Than the second time I said oh that's what that was from & it must not like that so no more.

Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine too just started to do this the other day however, I was not switching from neutral then back to drive.....I was just driving down the road when I lost all power for about 10-15 seconds the first time then 4-5 seconds the second before it kicked back in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts