Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I was told today (11/22/21) that the Tmobile OBD II dongle is not available for the Jeep Cherokee. Only the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would have the same questions it looks like a lot of people have with no real answers from Jeep or Uconnect. Is the 2015 Cherokee upgradable to the 2018 HUD? If so would that make it so the 4G works or at least the OBD II dongle adapter an option to adapt to 4G? Knowing that this was going to be an issue does FCA or any after market companies have a fix whether hardware or software?
If you could do the radio swap (assuming they are compatible) you'll run into the issue of the 4g adapter not working then. There are other postings on here but to sum up, the radios are coded to your Vin. So that service can't be activated if you swap your radio with one from a newer vehicle. Having said this, as I've mentioned previously, go with a 3rd party unit if you want to have remote start via your phone or gps tracking. Viper or Dronemobile have these options.

I am JUST finding out about the discontinuation of UConnect and am extremely frustrated as I frequently use the remote start to cool down my Jeep in the Arizona heat. I own a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and thanks to this thread am now aware that OBD adapters are not available through TMobile. Some people have mentioned Viper and Drone Mobile as alternatives. What is your experience with those services? Do you prefer one over the other? I know an alarm and remote start was part of the package when I purchased my car. How do I find out which after market alarm I have? Thanks in advance for the help!

Discussion starter · #43 ·
I've been using the Drone mobile product since August and it has been great so far. My buddy has a Viper system on his Charger and Durango and he loves that product. From a functionality standpoint, viper and drone mobile do mostly the same things. For me, drone mobile will push notifications to my phone via the app if either the alarm is triggered, battery is low, or other such maintenance or vehicle alerts. Remote start or door lock/unlock via the app work great.
If you go the drone mobile route, you need to buy it with the Compustar remote start package. Best buy sells this and it has been on sale frequently over the past 4 months. On sale, you'll pay about $300 bucks for it plus it includes installation at best buy.

One thing to take note of both Viper and Drone mobile require monthly subscriptions. So instead of paying for Uconnect, you'll pay for the other service which for me ended up being about 2 bucks a month cheaper than Uconnect was.

If you want to know more about the Compustar/Drone mobile combo let me know.

I've been using the Drone mobile product since August and it has been great so far. My buddy has a Viper system on his Charger and Durango and he loves that product. From a functionality standpoint, viper and drone mobile do mostly the same things. For me, drone mobile will push notifications to my phone via the app if either the alarm is triggered, battery is low, or other such maintenance or vehicle alerts. Remote start or door lock/unlock via the app work great.
If you go the drone mobile route, you need to buy it with the Compustar remote start package. Best buy sells this and it has been on sale frequently over the past 4 months. On sale, you'll pay about $300 bucks for it plus it includes installation at best buy.

One thing to take note of both Viper and Drone mobile require monthly subscriptions. So instead of paying for Uconnect, you'll pay for the other service which for me ended up being about 2 bucks a month cheaper than Uconnect was.

If you want to know more about the Compustar/Drone mobile combo let me know.
Thank you for this. Good to know there's an option for us when they phase-out 3g. More informative info here:Upgrade from 3G to 4G
I wonder if Viper/Drone Mobile lets you pick the carrier i.e Verizon/AT&T. Cause T-Mobile blows where i live.

I just restarted my uconnect access service via the 9.99 option yesterday and got a notification I have a UPS package coming from tmobile... Now im here lol.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Thank you for this. Good to know there's an option for us when they phase-out 3g. More informative info here:Upgrade from 3G to 4G
I wonder if Viper/Drone Mobile lets you pick the carrier i.e Verizon/AT&T. Cause T-Mobile blows where i live.

I just restarted my uconnect access service via the 9.99 option yesterday and got a notification I have a UPS package coming from tmobile... Now im here lol.
Drone mobile uses ATT 4G service.

I just find it pretty weak that a 2016 jeep with the uconnect will basically be obsolete. And nothing will be done mitigate this on Chryslers end.

I never knew that happened to the older OnStar.
I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and was told 3g going away and no longer able to use U connect service nor was I given an answer to a resolution..Very Sad On MOPAR to leave customers hanging with this service that they now cannot provide in my Jeep...

I had spoken with uconnect. They are the ones telling me that it only affects the 2018 and older vehicles. However, they are also telling that the cherokee is the only vehicle that the presented adapter doesn't work with. Doesn't seem like they would just leave it like that. Not working out the bugs so we wouldn't be without one of tge main reasons for getting this type of vehicle. Well at least for me.
That is not True- I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee- I bought it Brand New... I was told it will no longer support 3G and I was not told of any adaptor which I am reading from others is available..Where?? and I use Verizon only ..any help out there?

So some clarification on the uConnect 3G service being terminated Jan 1 2022. While the 3G service is going away, uConnect support stated they are offering for free, the TMobile 4G OBD adapter. You can choose between a $9.99/month service which has 2GB of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. Naturally, there is a 1 year contract which basically covers their ass for providing free hardware to the customers. Both include wireless hotspot and will function for uConnect services such as remote vehicle start and vehicle locator. The 4G portion WILL NOT begin to work until Jan 1 of 2022. All services will route through 3G until discontinued in 2022. This is the information I was provided from uConnect support just now. At least it is nice to know they won't be leaving people hanging.

FAQ's are at the bottom of the page:

Discussion starter · #51 ·
In all honesty it boils down to sprint shutting down the 3g network. Admittedly it sucks for anyone (including me) with an affected vehicle. But I'd be willing to bet Chrysler group isn't the only one affected with these types of connected systems. I will say they should have upgraded these units to support 4g earlier in the cycle but what can you do?
If you have any Cherokee older than 2018 you are SOL. I don't think I could ever buy anything from Chrysler again knowing they really don't care about their customers.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
In all honesty it boils down to sprint shutting down the 3g network. Admittedly it sucks for anyone (including me) with an affected vehicle. But I'd be willing to bet Chrysler group isn't the only one affected with these types of connected systems. I will say they should have upgraded these units to support 4g earlier in the cycle but what can you do?
There are numerous cars from many manufacturers this 3g shutdown will affect. It sucks, but we arent the only ones. Here's a small sample:
Acura
  • MDX models produced between 2014 and 2017
  • ILX (2016-2017)
  • RDX (2016-2017)
  • RDX (2019-2021)
  • RLX (2014-2016)
  • TLX (2015-2017)
  • NSX (2017)
Audi:
  • A3 e-Tron (2016-2018)
  • A4/Allroad (2013-2018)
  • A5 (2013-2018)
  • A6 (2012-2015)
  • A7 (2012-2015)
  • A8 (2012-2018)
  • RS 5 (2019)
  • Q3 (2015-2018)
  • Q5 (2013-2018)
  • Q7 (2012-2018)
Porsche:
  • 911 (2017-2019)
  • 918 Spyder (2014)
  • 718 (2017-2021)
  • Cayenne (2015-2019)
  • Macan (2017-2018)
  • Panamera (2014-2018)

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I"pnut, post: 3195815, member: 11112"]
It just seems ridiculous that the big companies don’t think ahead…
[/QUOTE]
I agree. The fact that there are 2020 and 2021 vehicles on the full list is a joke. 3g came around back in like 2003 or so.

I don’t know. I didn’t expect the dealer to replace my cassette deck when CDs came out.
My 2022 ram with all the bells will be obsolete at some point. I’ll then see what the aftermarket has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havent read through the whole thread. Maybe this is already known but you can still use the uconnect app to start and unlock the Jeep, you just have to open a xmguardian account for the service. We never had the original uconnect activated when we bought the GC in 2018 for my wife and I completely forgot about it since I dont drive it. Well, she never drove it much at first, only 12k on it now lol. Also found out the radio was not working correctly either, so that was replaced (thanks lifetime warranty lol) all is good now.

I don’t know. I didn’t expect the dealer to replace my cassette deck when CDs came out.
My 2022 ram with all the bells will be obsolete at some point. I’ll then see what the aftermarket has to offer.

That’s just stupid. Your cassette deck wasn’t obsolete when cd’s came out.
The dumb is deep with this one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not accurate. The upgrade only handles their apps. You lose the ability to text hands free still and you can't even call uconnect, service, or 911 from the mirror buttons any more. Uconnect just told me too bad and won't refund the money I paid for the adaptor and years service despite them not being transparent that they couldn't offer their regular services. So Uconnect and Chrysler has successfully made all their vehicles unsafe. You get in a wreck now, the 911 button doesn't work.
uconnect & Chrysler sucks
You suck!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.