Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
I just now found out that the 2018 cherokee I just bought in June that the UCONNECT will be completely unusable after January next year. There at this time in no replacement or upgrade for this issue. REALLY MOPAR? I just talked to a UCONNECT support person who says that the upgrade program failed to be compatible with the jeep cherokee (only). But will work for the other vehicles affected. That's totally BS. Just saying. I should have stuck to my first choice a Toyota 4runner. Lol

So some clarification on the uConnect 3G service being terminated Jan 1 2022. While the 3G service is going away, uConnect support stated they are offering for free, the TMobile 4G OBD adapter. You can choose between a $9.99/month service which has 2GB of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. Naturally, there is a 1 year contract which basically covers their ass for providing free hardware to the customers. Both include wireless hotspot and will function for uConnect services such as remote vehicle start and vehicle locator. The 4G portion WILL NOT begin to work until Jan 1 of 2022. All services will route through 3G until discontinued in 2022. This is the information I was provided from uConnect support just now. At least it is nice to know they won't be leaving people hanging.

FAQ's are at the bottom of the page:
I just got off the phone with you connect I own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee limited. I was told that starting January 2022 none of the uconnect abilities will be available for my vehicle any longer. I am beyond angry. I'm paying for a service so I can even Voice Text for Christ sake. Now I can't remote start my car from my phone anymore nor unlock or lock it and will no longer have the theft location either. Now everything is obsolete in my vehicle. While I realize to a lot of people 2015 is an old car but I just bought it 14 months ago. So to me it's a new car with only $54,000 miles on it.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Did you miss the part about the 4g adapter? You aren't completely dead in the water. Minor inconvenience maybe. Unless uconnect support explicitly stated the Cherokee won't support the adapter which would seem odd.

Did you miss the part about the 4g adapter? You aren't completely dead in the water. Minor inconvenience maybe. Unless uconnect support explicitly stated the Cherokee won't support the adapter which would seem odd.
Don't be an asshole about it or anything. No I didn't miss it yes they did say that it doesn't work with the Jeep Cherokee.

I just got off the phone with you connect I own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee limited. I was told that starting January 2022 none of the uconnect abilities will be available for my vehicle any longer. I am beyond angry. I'm paying for a service so I can even Voice Text for Christ sake. Now I can't remote start my car from my phone anymore nor unlock or lock it and will no longer have the theft location either. Now everything is obsolete in my vehicle. While I realize to a lot of people 2015 is an old car but I just bought it 14 months ago. So to me it's a new car with only $54,000 miles on it.
I had spoken with uconnect. They are the ones telling me that it only affects the 2018 and older vehicles. However, they are also telling that the cherokee is the only vehicle that the presented adapter doesn't work with. Doesn't seem like they would just leave it like that. Not working out the bugs so we wouldn't be without one of tge main reasons for getting this type of vehicle. Well at least for me.

Any update on an adapter for the jeep.cherokee? This is really is disappointing that no adapter made for the cherokee from 3g to 4g.
I have a 2015 limited jeep.cherokee which I love. But I use the uconnect functions to lock unlock. I hear its going to affect text msgs on screen. What about navigation that I have?? and also Sirius radio??

What is everyone doing??

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Any update on an adapter for the jeep.cherokee? This is really is disappointing that no adapter made for the cherokee from 3g to 4g.
I have a 2015 limited jeep.cherokee which I love. But I use the uconnect functions to lock unlock. I hear its going to affect text msgs on screen. What about navigation that I have?? and also Sirius radio??

What is everyone doing??
I don't own a Cherokee but if you're looking for a feature to remote unlock/lock via cell phone as well as auto start, you could with something by Viper or Dronemobile. They have offerings, with a monthly service of course, that allow those features. Text messages route through your phone via Bluetooth to your radio. That shouldn't be affected by uconnect going away. I went the Compustar/Dronemobile route since I didn't want the 4g adapter from T-Mobile and I plan to swap out my radio with a newer unit.

I have received the same information and called directly. So yes, this is happening midnight 12/31/21. That said, as mentioned how can anyone install something into 5 million vehicles, without some plan for future upgrades. I think a class action is brewing. My local Chrysler Dealership thought I was a hack when I called about it because they haven't heard yet. Then they Google it and apologized. They called me back after researching did not locate any information. The Dongle from uConnect is a band-aid option available only for 11 or so vehicles. There for sure will be no future upgrades.

When I inquired about a whole new system, they said not possible without rewiring the whole car. Although not available at all for the Cherokee, the dongle is available for the Grand Cherokee so owners can continue to use remote features. If someone really does find a compatible system, with Andoid or Apple car play, please keep me posted. I see options out there, but don't have a lot of features, and don't really know if compatible.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I have received the same information and called directly. So yes, this is happening midnight 12/31/21. That said, as mentioned how can anyone install something into 5 million vehicles, without some plan for future upgrades. I think a class action is brewing. My local Chrysler Dealership thought I was a hack when I called about it because they haven't heard yet. Then they Google it and apologized. They called me back after researching did not locate any information. The Dongle from uConnect is a band-aid option available only for 11 or so vehicles. There for sure will be no future upgrades.

When I inquired about a whole new system, they said not possible without rewiring the whole car. Although not available at all for the Cherokee, the dongle is available for the Grand Cherokee so owners can continue to use remote features. If someone really does find a compatible system, with Andoid or Apple car play, please keep me posted. I see options out there, but don't have a lot of features, and don't really know if compatible.
What exactly are you looking for? What options are you referring to because I'm a bit confused on what you're losing come 12/31 that can't be replaced using aftermarket

Does anyone know why the Jeep Cherokee isn't one of the eligble vehicles for this T-Mobile 4G OBD adapter?
I'm not sure why they are saying it's not.. According to the link above, for the adapter on the T-Mobile site, it is (Uconnect Tech Support confirmed, on the phone just now this WOULD work for my 2017 Cherokee SRT):

Device Compatible Vehicles
  • 2013-2016 Dodge Viper SRT
  • 2013-2017 Ram 2500/3500
  • 2014-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • 2015-2016 Chrysler 300
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger
  • 2017 Chrysler Town & Country

• 2013-2017 Ram 1500
  • 2013-2017 Ram Chassis Cab
  • 2014-2017 Dodge Durango
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Charger
  • 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I'm not sure why they are saying it's not.. According to the link above, for the adapter on the T-Mobile site, it is (Uconnect Tech Support confirmed, on the phone just now this WOULD work for my 2017 Cherokee SRT):

Device Compatible Vehicles
  • 2013-2016 Dodge Viper SRT
  • 2013-2017 Ram 2500/3500
  • 2014-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • 2015-2016 Chrysler 300
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger
  • 2017 Chrysler Town & Country

• 2013-2017 Ram 1500
  • 2013-2017 Ram Chassis Cab
  • 2014-2017 Dodge Durango
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Charger
  • 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are completely different vehicles. Most are running into the issue with the Cherokee not being supported.

I was told today (11/22/21) that the Tmobile OBD II dongle is not available for the Jeep Cherokee. Only the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would have the same questions it looks like a lot of people have with no real answers from Jeep or Uconnect. Is the 2015 Cherokee upgradable to the 2018 HUD? If so would that make it so the 4G works or at least the OBD II dongle adapter an option to adapt to 4G? Knowing that this was going to be an issue does FCA or any after market companies have a fix whether hardware or software?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.