Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the Sprint 3G service being shutdown early 2022, has anyone given any thought to their uConnect and alternatives? That is, anyone using the uConnect features. I thought about going the 2018 model year head unit swap but that doesn't really solve the problem for uConnect since the 4G units won't work in an older vehicle due to the radios. Unless Mopar has some sort of adapter to provide for 3G head units.

I personally went with the uConnect service for the vehicle locator. I don't know why but this vehicle has a rather high rate of theft from what I've heard and been told first hand by friends in the field. I'm aware there are alternatives but the convenience of one system is much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the same question a few weeks ago with no responses. I guess no one knows for sure…
It doesn't seem like anyone does. Not that I'm placing blame, but like to hear real world experiences as it is helpful. Just looking at what options I have come 2022 so if I find out more, I'll put it on here.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I do know I had to upgrade my iPhone. I got a text from my provider that my 5S (I know, I know.. old as f…k) would no longer work under the new network. Kind of like in the mid 2000’s with my GMC Yukon equipped with OnStar. It stopped working because it was ANALOG and everything went digital!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just find it pretty weak that a 2016 jeep with the uconnect will basically be obsolete. And nothing will be done mitigate this on Chryslers end.

I never knew that happened to the older OnStar.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,310 Posts
I just find it pretty weak that a 2016 jeep with the uconnect will basically be obsolete. And nothing will be done mitigate this on Chryslers end.

Sign of the times. It’s happening across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Den2178

·
Registered
2014 SRT
73 Posts
again..FCA view of the customer "Please buy our cars, we love you and promise to be faithful!" After purchase "gfy idiot..you really believed that crap we said? We were just trying to get in your pants"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So some clarification on the uConnect 3G service being terminated Jan 1 2022. While the 3G service is going away, uConnect support stated they are offering for free, the TMobile 4G OBD adapter. You can choose between a $9.99/month service which has 2GB of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. Naturally, there is a 1 year contract which basically covers their ass for providing free hardware to the customers. Both include wireless hotspot and will function for uConnect services such as remote vehicle start and vehicle locator. The 4G portion WILL NOT begin to work until Jan 1 of 2022. All services will route through 3G until discontinued in 2022. This is the information I was provided from uConnect support just now. At least it is nice to know they won't be leaving people hanging.

FAQ's are at the bottom of the page:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
So what will we lose exactly??? I don’t use the UConnect hotspot feature, but I do use UConnect ACCESS occasionally to see where my car is, lock the doors, etc. I’ve used it more as a novelty than a necessity…

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what will we lose exactly??? I don’t use the UConnect hotspot feature, but I do use UConnect ACCESS occasionally to see where my car is, lock the doors, etc. I’ve used it more as a novelty than a necessity…
You'll lose the remote start, vehicle locator, and all that. Unless you get the 4g obd unit from T-Mobile so you can continue using the uconnect access features. For those that don't have it, they won't miss anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found this UK based company, Belsee, that has some interesting features. IU sent an inquiry about a list of exact features that may or not work for my jeep

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have found this UK based company, Belsee, that has some interesting features. IU sent an inquiry about a list of exact features that may or not work for my jeep

Funny. I just saw something similar to this earlier. I'm a bit sketchy about those adapters they include taking a shit. Also, and this is my preference, I don't like that every function is touch screen related. But, it does look like a cool unit.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just got a message on my cars screen saying my UConnect Access was expiring at the end of the month. I gave them a call to see what my options were.

In the past, I’d pay for a full year, but the service guy said that Only month to month was available this year due to the 4G updates. He also offered me the the OBD plug in with the monthly fees.

He told me… off the record… that there are 3rd party vendors that do head unit upgrades, but there could be glitches and features lost.

I decided not to renew because I’ve never HAD to use the features. They were more of a novelty. I’ve used the UNLOCK feature once or twice when I was too lazy to grab my car keys. The few times I used it, it took several minutes to unlock and might have been quicker if I just ran and got the keys. I’ve also used the MAP feature where you send a location from you phone to you car on several occasions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I personally never used any of the features that required the 3G service but I had originally purchased my SRT because I just had a kid and wanted to still have a functional vehicle while have my fun. That said only now that my oldest is starting to use technology I find a use for this damn 3G hotspot. I could always add it to my cell.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts