Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have been data logging for a while now. I am getting some ST KR maybe someone can shed some light on this issue because everything that I seem to have found usually goes off topic after the first two replies or answers back find a tuner. Case in point I’m really trying to learn, not have something done for me (if possible). Ok, I am running the 93oct w/cai. I also have magna flow cat back, 180 stat, mopar CAI and TB spacer (Don’t know if that does anything. Someone Gifted it to me) I was getting 3.00 ST KR on WOT runs. At this point I have lower all fan settings by 20* and bumped my WOT fuel in all three ranges by 4.5*. ST KR is now only topped off at 2.00. I have tried different fuel since then while adjusting the WOT fuel Settings, Sunoc and Mobile. So the question is do I keep adding fuel? Change other parameters?
I have also tried to run the 91 CAI tune with 93oct fuel and had the same ST KR. I was sure that would have some effect. Nothing I was still pulling 3.0 with ST KR. If anyone could shed some light on this topic for me and I’m sure others. I would greatly appreciated thank you Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Is the ST KR just intermittent when WOT or the whole run?

You are going to see some ST KR intermittently regardless of what you do. 3.0 is not much.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I would buy and install a nice AFR gauge like the Innovate MTX-L...... Then I would make sure that my fuel.was around 12.5 at WOT throught a run nice spirited run from 0 to 120mph.... You can also spot check you fuel by certain rpms by putting your jeep in 4th and doing some WOT action in 4th.... Do you know exactly where the ST is happening at? Also did you tweak the timing as well on your tune?

As far as fuel I only run Mobil 93 octane in my beast as Sunoco is not available over here... Sunoco 93 is also good gas as well.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah it only seems to be during a shift or something(happens only for a split sceond). Im not sure bc....... I know once the computer sees KR it pulls timming out to compensate. As far as the gas goes sunoco has been good in all my other cars. I ran an 05 mustang @10psi and a tons of bolt-ons with 93 sunoco/mobile and I had no problems. And im way past the point of the "bad batch" of gas nonsense. Here my other point if I keep adding fuel and see no change in the kr there is no point of making the mixture fatter for no reason. Are you saying its ok to see a little kr? I have heard people say its only during shifts that they see kr and they pay no attention to it then. I will also post more later bc I just data logged with 6% more fuel at WOT. Sorry yeah to anwser you back. Yes it is just intermittent and a AFR meter is on the Xmas list this year. No I didnt touch the timming yet bc I called diablo and they told just to raise the WOT fuel. Do you think I should tho? If so I would need some help with that one. Some of the parameters are confusing. Let me know what you think

Thanks

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I always like to run little richer in the mid range area where the RPM Drops after shifting , Fuel will prevent those ST KR sometimes . But running the 93 canned with out AFR Gauge I'D Say you are completely blind my friend , AS YOU COULD BE RUNNING LEAN or too much timing not supported by the Octane you are running , simple as that .

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
The reason why you are seeing knock in between shift is because of fuel.cutoff.... Basically if you listen to your shifts you will hear a bog right during your shifts and that's the fuel being cutoff.... The only way to fix that is to have a tuner make you a Custom tune as we do not have the ability to change the torque management in our shifts..... Basically once your fuel is dialed in your tuner will add more timing and usually a stock jeep will.handle around 23 to 24* of timing with very little ST knock... My jeep was at 24* and I was only able to get it down to 1.5* of ST knock.... If I wanted to clear it up then my tuner would have to take a degree it 2 out of my tune.... A tuner uses the CMR software that costs around 2500.00 to make you a tune as they have a lot more options to adjust then either you or I...

Email Johan at [email protected] or PM Jerseyboy for a tune.....

Reactions: m4xm1l10n

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How normal is part throttle knock? I might see as high as 5 on maybe 50% throttle acceleration and only briefly. WOT it might spike at 2 for a fraction of a second and then nothing... I'm currently using my second revision Johan tune and don't really want to explode his inbox for a simple question like this. He had looked at the logs and said they looked good, but I don't have a wideband yet (on the list).

/threadjack

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I have to agree with Jose and Paulo here. Without an A/F guage, you're only getting part of the data you need to tune. As said, we only have access to a few perameters, CMR tuning is needed to adjust more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yea No im not at that stage yet where im going to use a tuner. I think I will deal with this issue until I put a set of headers on. I agree with what everyone is saying and completely understand as well it just gets frustrating time after time. You think you have made a little lead way in the issue and then you crap out. Played with some throttle stuff and added the 6% fuel and went on a run, well I don’t know if I would call it a run but I punched it out a few times, there is a lot of traffic here in long island so I all I could get in where a few 5k snaps here and there. Took a look at the play back and didn’t get any kr. I’m not going to get all joyful just yet I really need to get a good pull to 100 and see what happens then. The only positive is it was showing kr on pulls to 5k right before I made the new adjustments and now it’s not. So we will see. If I do continue to see kr tomorrow only upon shifts or for a split second or two. Can I hold off until I get my next mod in before having it tuned? Also you are right knuckles there is only so much you can do with this tool. Even though, it is a great tool I would have to agree it’s nothing like the software they have with a dyno. Can you recommend anyone around the li ny area.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Part throttle knock is pretty common. Esp on a high load low rpm acceleration. Not much can really be done about that. Every tune I've had from every tuner gets it. Lock it in 5th at 40-45mph and get into it and it'll happen.

Reactions: jkalbin

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
You are always going to see some STKR between shifts because the fuel/timing changes so quickly between gears. If you are seeing it in the middle of the gear u have a problem. Get a wideband.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts