Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with my 2017 whereby there is a tug or slip or jerk in the low gears only under acceleration. Started at about 120,000 km. I hesitate to call it a clunk because it doesn't make that much noise. It only happens once in each gear and very obvious from 1-3 and less obvious as the gears go up. Definitely more noticable when stopping and starting through all the pointless stop signs in my Toronto neighborhood. The first dealer upgraded the transmission firmware and said they tested it and it was fine. Didn't fix the problem but the shifting algorithm definitely improved especially downshifting. Highly recommend this. The next dealer said they didn't see anything wrong. I gave them an earful and told them I almost had the car towed because I was so concerned about it.

Another issue is that on perfectly flat ground when putting the car from park to drive there was a big loud clunk that happened 2-3 times since around the same time this slip issue started. I have four months left on my extended warranty so I'm holding my breath.

Love the car but it's been to the dealer about fifteen $5Hyy#[email protected]!! Times. OMG 馃槼

Transmission fluid and rear differential I've been reading from other posts. I'm posting a new thread because the others went all over the place. My suspicion is something with the AWD. Anyhow Dealer #2 has had the car for a week thus far. Still haven't heard back from them. Any ideas thanks. Mike

Attachments

Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
Changing the transmission fluid and filter/pan it comes as an assembly would be the best place
To start. The manufactures who engineered and designed the ZF8 transmission recommend if I remember correctly 50,000 mile fluid change. Most car manufacturers like Jeep recommend fluid for life no change interval but I believe that is because it is a time consuming process to do the fill, fluid check. There is no dipstick on these transmissions and it pretty well consumes an entire day

Registered
I came back to the forums to post on this exact issue on my 2015. Just under 60k miles and it started doing this. I took it to the terrible dealer, it sat on the lot for 2.5 weeks just for them to say nothing is wrong with it. Something definitely feels wrong, it almost feels like a slip

Registered
Start with changing the fluid in the Transfer case & the Rear axle. Use the factory required fluids & add one bottle of friction modifier to each unit. Drive it in some figure 8's in a parking lot and let it work its way in. This has fixed several with this problem in the past.
There is also a tsb available for a software update for the drive train control module, and a possible issue with the cleaning the contacts on the electronic limited slips control module under the rear seat. But I would start with the fluid change first and see if that doesn't fix it, its quick easy and cheap.
Best of luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start with changing the fluid in the Transfer case & the Rear axle. Use the factory required fluids & add one bottle of friction modifier to each unit. Drive it in some figure 8's in a parking lot and let it work its way in. This has fixed several with this problem in the past.
There is also a tsb available for a software update for the drive train control module, and a possible issue with the cleaning the contacts on the electronic limited slips control module under the rear seat. But I would start with the fluid change first and see if that doesn't fix it, its quick easy and cheap.
Best of luck.
Best of luck.
Best of luck.
The truck is under warranty. Dealer say they cannot claim a warranty repair unless a diagnostic code is generated. So called FCA on Saturday and explained the dilemma. The gal was very nice and explained that FCA may reimburse me for money spent troubleshooting the issue. The dealer quoted me $1100 to change the transmission fluid. I'm guessing the transfer case is not the transmission. On another note they upgraded the software again and in automatic mode the car starts from stop in first gear now rather than second gear. Downshifting is also smoother like the engine rpm is anticipating the downshift. Now I've only had the car back for a day. But very impressed with the software upgrade. If you have one of these do it asap while it under warranty. As for the clunk I'm suspecting some issue with the AWD. Like the front and rear differential is somehow misaligned. I'm also getting the clunk in reverse.

Registered
Can you record this clunk or is it just something you feel? Yes, the transmission is different than the transfer case... I would change all the fluids as outlined "Transfer case & the Rear axle. Use the factory required fluids & add one bottle of friction modifier in the rear" ...(this should be done every 25K miles) I would only do the transmission as a last resort... most people will not be able to do this job correctly and that will lead to other issues...

Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
There鈥檚 nothing wrong. It is the torque converter locking. It is noticeable more in sport and track especially in my 14. I thought the same thing. Did all fluids. It is the converter and it鈥檚 totally normal as these are bad ass transmissions.

Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
I feel I should elaborate a little on this since I assume it feels for you like mine , that it鈥檚 coming from the diff in the rear. That because it鈥檚 displacing the energy back there. I never understood it until I rode in my buddies rat rod that has a fully built trans with a manual lock on the torque converter. It does the exact same thing. Think of it as burning the clutch a little and then letting full off. It鈥檚 going to give a little buck. That鈥檚 my experience anyway not sure if it鈥檚 applied for your situation. Good luck dude

Registered
I bet it鈥檚 the rear differential. Mine started doing it kinda clunking only on take offs but got progressively worse. Now every time I take off it jumps or chatters. It鈥檚 the clutches sticking in the rear differential. I鈥檓 in the process of looking for a new gear type posi unit for the SRT now.

Registered
I am also having a similar issue...

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 L made in Canada. It has about 97,000 miles on it and the engine runs great. No gears seem to slip and it pulls VERY strong.

I am searching the internet up and down to try and figure out a clunking and juddering symptom my Jeep has. It happens when I accelerate normally or aggressively from a stop. The clunk happens as soon as I accelerate once and the juddering continues randomly through all gears and accelerations. It happens in AUTO, SPORT, TRACK or SNOW traction modes.

I have changed the transmission fluid completely with new Mopar 8 / 9 speed transmission fluid and replaced the pan (filter is not serviceable unless you replace pan).

I have noticed no improvement after trans oil change and no improvement at any temperature or speed. I plan on changing the transfer case and differential oils next weekend but if this is not the fix I will not do that. I'm asking for advice if you can help.

Question, if the transfer case has an issue would it trigger a DTC to come up? Is there supposed to be rotational play in the rear drive shaft (from transfer case to rear dif) when the car is in park and all 4 wheels on ground? I don't notice that same play in the forward drive shaft but some in the rear. Like 2-3 deg play from clockwise to counter clockwise...

Registered
I am also having a similar issue...

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 L made in Canada. It has about 97,000 miles on it and the engine runs great. No gears seem to slip and it pulls VERY strong.

I am searching the internet up and down to try and figure out a clunking and juddering symptom my Jeep has. It happens when I accelerate normally or aggressively from a stop. The clunk happens as soon as I accelerate once and the juddering continues randomly through all gears and accelerations. It happens in AUTO, SPORT, TRACK or SNOW traction modes.

I have changed the transmission fluid completely with new Mopar 8 / 9 speed transmission fluid and replaced the pan (filter is not serviceable unless you replace pan).

I have noticed no improvement after trans oil change and no improvement at any temperature or speed. I plan on changing the transfer case and differential oils next weekend but if this is not the fix I will not do that. I'm asking for advice if you can help.

Question, if the transfer case has an issue would it trigger a DTC to come up? Is there supposed to be rotational play in the rear drive shaft (from transfer case to rear dif) when the car is in park and all 4 wheels on ground? I don't notice that same play in the forward drive shaft but some in the rear. Like 2-3 deg play from clockwise to counter clockwise...
your explaining exactly what I get also. I believe it鈥檚 the rear clutches in the rear end. I鈥檝e been searching for a aftermarket upgrade.

Registered
your explaining exactly what I get also. I believe it鈥檚 the rear clutches in the rear end. I鈥檝e been searching for a aftermarket upgrade.
It has rear clutches? Thats crazy. Most rear difs I have ever seen have just a gear? Do you have any parts breakdown that could help me to understand this better?

Registered
It has rear clutches? Thats crazy. Most rear difs I have ever seen have just a gear? Do you have any parts breakdown that could help me to understand this better?
No I haven鈥檛 gotten a chance to dig into it yet. Ih to look into it more soon. I鈥檒l let you know what I find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts