Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help folks. I've searched various rooms on this sight to find answers to my transmission issues. Partial answers lie all over the place here so I didn't know where to post this. I know this has been discussed before so bear with me.

I picked up a leftover '15 about a month ago. Love the vehicle, hate the transmission. Way too sloppy, harsh downshifts, etc. I submitted a concern on the official SRT website. Below is the email I sent them. Please give me an idea of a fix or what you would do in my shoes. By the way, vehicle has 1600 miles now. Thank you

I recently purchased a new 2015 GC SRT. I'm having serious doubts about the transmission shifting characteristics. The shifts are not smooth and are also erratic. Downshifts are horrible. There is too much engine braking and torque converter lock-up and release on downshifts. Driving in slow moving, stop and go traffic is the worst. Bucking, kicking and many more unfavorable mannerisms. When stopping abruptly, sometimes the downshifts are so hard that it feels like a parachute was deployed from the rear of the vehicle. These occur in “auto” mode. I haven’t had too much time to experiment by manual shifting in auto, shifting in track mode, turning eco on and off, etc., to make tests. Manual upshifts in sport mode, under heavy acceleration, make the whole car shake violently before engaging into the next gear. It also feels like there is slack in the drivetrain as well. When letting off the pedal and then reapplying, there is a “clunk” and delay that occurs as the drivetrain is reengaged. This occurs at slow speeds mostly. I will say that upshifts in Auto mode are smooth. An example would be entering a highway. When bringing the vehicle up to highway speed in auto, the shifts are as smooth as glass. I wish that there was a fix to have the upshift characteristics applied to the downshifts. It would make this vehicle a joy to drive. Currently it’s not. My wife has a 2015 Durango with the ZF 8 Speed transmission as well. I know that a Durango and an SRT are two different animals but you would not know her trans is downshifting unless you were looking at the indicator on the dash. It’s that smooth. By the way, her transmission failed after the first week of ownership at 300 Miles. FCA replaced it. Thank you.

I’ve done some research and found that I am far from the only one complaining about this. Not only are SRT owners concerned but other GC owners, with different trim levels, are complaining as well. It has been mentioned on several occasions that there is a transmission software update to address this. Owners who have had this done complain that though the problem may be temporarily fixed, it shortly comes back. There are also other unwanted shift characteristics that appear that were not present before. They also claim the vehicle now seems slower on acceleration. I’ve been told that if an owner is unhappy with the update the software can’t be reversed. Sounds like a dead end to me. I would like to know what software version I have in mine. Is it stock, already loading with the latest fix, etc.? I was also told to try disconnecting the battery for an hour to clear the “learned” shift patterns of the driver. They say that maybe it needs to relearn the operator’s driving characteristics again. I’m not too sure if that will fix it being that I have been driving very conservatively during break-in. I have been accelerating and decelerating slowly. This would leave me to believe that the transmission sees that I don’t need abrupt shifts. My vehicle has 1600 miles on it now.

I called the SRT team last week to log my complaint so my situation may already be noted in your system. They called two dealers in my area to authorize a service visit. I haven’t scheduled yet because I would like to talk to a SRT technical engineer first before I commit to any fixes. I would eventually like the car to get physically screened to see if my problems are mechanical or software related. If mechanical, I’m sure correcting the defects would be a favorable solution (for me at least) before risking a software change that I may not like.

I realize that performance vehicles aren’t always as smooth as everyday passenger vehicles. I’ve driven many sport SUV’s, high performance exotics, etc. None of them have ever acted like this. I have to believe my vehicle is defective in some way.

Please have a technical engineer contact me to address this issue.
[/SIZE]

· Registered
29 Posts
Just go report to the dealer, they would suggest to update tcm, and should be money free and trouble free. It would drop some 0-60 times, but you would definitely feel smooth like a car should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a-kon : I'll join you in that movement if you need help. "Let's make the American GC SRT great again"!

El Jefe : I don't know what software version I have. I'm assuming that SRT would have that info? Mine was a 11/15 build date. Purchased in July '16. If a fix came out after 11/15 I'm sure my dealer wasn't concerned about installing a fix before the new owner even complained. The owner may never notice it. I'm also sure FCA wouldn't authorize it unless it was a customer complaint.

To address the slower 0-60 time, does it feel dramatically slower or is it only displaying slower times on the gauges?

· Registered
29 Posts
a-kon : I'll join you in that movement if you need help. "Let's make the American GC SRT great again"!

El Jefe : I don't know what software version I have. I'm assuming that SRT would have that info? Mine was a 11/15 build date. Purchased in July '16. If a fix came out after 11/15 I'm sure my dealer wasn't concerned about installing a fix before the new owner even complained. The owner may never notice it. I'm also sure FCA wouldn't authorize it unless it was a customer complaint.

To address the slower 0-60 time, does it feel dramatically slower or is it only displaying slower times on the gauges?

It display slower and you feel it. Like now :if you put it into auto mode, but the gear logic is partial track mode before the 3rd gear. After:I believe you would feel smooth every gear unless you select track mode. Update would definitely add your time if the explanation make sense to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,698 Posts
I dont think the dealer would install updates before selling to you but you never know. Ya call SRT(855-778-8326) and ask them to look at your VIN history and see if you had any transmission updates applied since new. If you havent, you might convince a-kon about trading Jeeps :)

Better yet, lets find someone that can rip that software from your Jeep and sell it to us haha. ZAutotech?

Not dramatically slower but its noticeable. The harshness of the shifts is what you feel the most. If I make a Track mode launch about 10 minutes after starting the Jeep, the shifts are nice and smooth and I net my best 0-60s. 5 minutes later I get the harsh shifts and lose 0.2 - 0.3 seconds. Ill have to record it some morning, its a completely different experience in the same modes. Might be because its not completely warmed up

· Registered
124 Posts
I had my 2016 to the dealer last week and they did a update on the transmission. I have to say most of the clunking seems to of went away. I'm pretty impressed with this Jeep and how it shifts now. I also have a 2016 Z06 ProCharged auto so I know a little about performance. Take it to the dealer and get the update done..

· Registered
464 Posts
I had my 2016 to the dealer last week and they did a update on the transmission. I have to say most of the clunking seems to of went away. I'm pretty impressed with this Jeep and how it shifts now. I also have a 2016 Z06 ProCharged auto so I know a little about performance. Take it to the dealer and get the update done..
When did the update come out? I have a 2016 and occasionally notice a rough downshift.

· Registered
4 Posts
a-kon : I'll join you in that movement if you need help. "Let's make the American GC SRT great again"! El Jefe : I don't know what software version I have. I'm assuming that SRT would have that info? Mine was a 11/15 build date. Purchased in July '16. If a fix came out after 11/15 I'm sure my dealer wasn't concerned about installing a fix before the new owner even complained. The owner may never notice it. I'm also sure FCA wouldn't authorize it unless it was a customer complaint. To address the slower 0-60 time, does it feel dramatically slower or is it only displaying slower times on the gauges?
Shit my 2012jeep SRT acting funny cylinder 4 misfire changed coil n plugs still misfire no compression checking solenoids but would that cause 0304 or is it egr valve or tps sensor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts