Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I’ve done my gearboxes, I want to service my transmission, anywhere you guys recommend or what kit I should pick up? How many qrts etc.. I’m gonna order the dipstick should I replace the pan ? Is there a kit I can pick up on amazon ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
While mine was empty i fitted a new pan with a drain plug.That should be helpful for when i next do it.
It was from a merc sprinter if that helps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thats the same dipstick that i bought.the level goes from when the stick hits the bottom of the pan though.if you push it all the way in.it coils up.
You will also need a thermometer to measure the temp.its a pretty complicated job from reading all of the tables but mine ended up being 5 litres.not sure what that is in quarts though.lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thats the same dipstick that i bought.the level goes from when the stick hits the bottom of the pan though.if you push it all the way in.it coils up.
So you will be able to hear the stick hit the bottom of the pan when pushing it in? Must be a universal dip stick if this is happening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes thats the one i have in the picture.
Having said that though.im in the uk and trying to get parts for my jeep can be like looking for a unicorn turd.
Were not very well catered for over here

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will also need a thermometer to measure the temp.its a pretty complicated job from reading all of the tables but mine ended up being 5 litres.not sure what that is in quarts though.lol
It’s 5.23 qts , I was looking in to a bigger pan also but that big mid exhaust I installed runs pretty close under it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was that for uk or us litres?There are different measurements which confused things a little.
Im not sure if you can get a bigger pan or if there would be any benefit to it.
The best thing you can do is changing the oil regularly.
With the way the pan is fitted to the bottom of the block,the only way you could is extend down and mine was tight to remove with a standard exhaust

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The point behind the bigger pan is more oil capacity , therefore they run cooler, also some pans have cooling fins, but the bigger exhaust rides pretty close underneath it, so it would basically be heated it up, kind of a shitty design on the exhaust if you ask me , I’ve heard of guys putting 4.3 qrts to fill it up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe an oil cooler would be a good option then.
I havnt looked into more power so never really looked at anything like that.
Having said that though i have looked at ways to get the engine temps down.i only have to stop for a few seconds after being on a run and the temps are streight up.
I have a new upper rad hose to replace the one with the stupid plastic section in though and will be fitting that in the next couple of days.
Thats meant to help

·
Registered
37 Posts
No but im thinking about it.is there a recomended make if them?.im going to see if i can get a thicker core rad made aswell so that might ve another option worth considering

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Decided to pull the pan this morning and actually it doesn’t look that bad, magnets clean , oil is a little dark but smells normal, not stink, not that burnt, but I did notice the filter was in the pan when I pulled it off , is that normal ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts