Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a way to disable the feature that puts the transmission into PARK when the doors are open. I absolutely hate that feature I live in nyc, so inching close to rim/tire damaging sidewalk curbs is best done with the door open sometimes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What year?
I have a 2014 SRT with the ratchet shifter and a 2018 Trackhawk.
I have no problems moving the cars with my door open like to get them on my lift.
You should be able to open the door with the vehicle in D

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2020 did the same and i hated it. Yes, you can disable it through Uconnect.
I can't remember exactly but go through the settings and its there.

·
-------------------------
101 Posts
Just buckle the driver's seat belt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a feature that was put into (and updated in your car if you service your vehicle at the dealer) after Anton Yelchin (the actor from the modern Star Trek movies) was killed by his car when he got out thinking it was parked and the open door crushed him against a wall as the car rolled back on him. From there, multiple reports started to come out about how difficult it is to use the older shifter as you sometimes don't really know what gear your car is in, making for a dangerous situation if you get out of the car and it isn't in park.

The redesign of the 2016+ shifter so it's "notched" like a classic shifter is a much better design. Regardless, many car companies now have imbedded some type of feature to detect if a driver has left the vehicle, such as using the driver seat butt sensor to put the car back into park or activate the parking brake if it suddenly doesn't detect the driver.

I didn't know this could be deactivated within Uconnect as I hadn't seen it in the menus; I normally just use the mirrors to back up as they point down when reversing; I also just lower the window and stick my head out to look at the curb (although it's not easy as the window ledge is fairly high)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

[IMG alt="JRod40"]https://www.cherokeesrt8.com/d1/avatars/m/130/130980.jpg?1623438235[/IMG]
JRod40
Registered

Joined Aug 16, 2019
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 1 d ago

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the feature that puts the transmission into PARK when the doors are open. I absolutely hate that feature I live in nyc, so inching close to rim/tire damaging sidewalk curbs is best done with the door open sometimes.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

[IMG alt="Hemi Cruiser"]https://www.cherokeesrt8.com/d1/avatars/m/97/97458.jpg?1559659494[/IMG]
Hemi Cruiser
Registered

Joined Aug 7, 2016
1,310 Posts
#2 · 23 h ago

What year?
I have no problems moving the cars with my door open like to get them on my lift.

SaveShare
Reply Quote
P
pnut
Registered

Joined Jun 14, 2008
1,577 Posts
#3 · 21 h ago

My 2017 doesn’t do this either?!?!? Thank God!!!

SaveShare
Reply Quote
S
Srt-Life
What year?
2014 SRT, if its in D or R as soon as I give some gas it goes into Park.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2020 did the same and i hated it. Yes, you can disable it through Uconnect.
I can't remember exactly but go through the settings and its there.
Its 2014 Canadian model so Uconnect doesnt exist, I cant connect to the internet, unless you mean the general settings and I can check that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the other side of my issue is in todays climate if I need to get away from carjacker, thief, or crazy in general, and I need to waste time closing the door or I have to clear "undesirables" away from door before I can exit the area. That may mean the difference between life and death for myself or my family. Sorry for the dark scenario but Ive seen enough being ex-mil and heard enough from Law enforcement family members to keep my head on a swivel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you change the shifter from a 14-15 center return to a 16 and up ratchet shifter. I hate my shifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aha... same with me...! Same with the alarm when backing-up a boat in tow-mode... because the trailer is too close...
Per Joe Biden ... ‘Come on Man...’

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tilting the Mirrors down works pretty good also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts