Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

This may seem like a total "Noob Question", but can someone PLEASE tell me where to find the Transmission Fluid dip stick in order to check the level of the transmission fluid or "top it off"?

Thanks!
SDX

·
Registered
983 Posts
the dealer has the dipstick, im pretty sure they get the temp to 171 (reading it through a scanner) and then use their dipstick they keep at the dealer, i was told once that snap on might have a dipstick that you can buy and use. but other then that, your making a trip to the dealer.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Yup. Sealed system. Fluid level is checked by temp using a chart and special dip stick. You can buy the dip stick and maybe find the chart from someone here. Otherwise make a trip to the dealer. If you got some mileage on the Jeep I'd recommend a tranny fluid change and filter. Along with diffs and t-case. The Jeep stays happy with up kept oils.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Reactions: gitrdun

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...Thanks a lot guys! Now it makes sense...I spent like 15 Minutes with my Buddy looking for the Transmission Fluid knob yesterday! :lol:
BTW, I don't want to "raise eyebrows", but one of the main reasons I asked this question in the first place is because my beloved Black SRT8 Rocket is only a couple years old, but way over 50K in miles! :) (I just LOVE drivin it! ;))
Well, I recently began to hear "shudder noise" while gears are changing or speed reaches over 90Mph. So I bought 'Slick 50 Automatic Transmission High Mileage Treatment' to add to my Tranny Fluid.
Does anyone have any experience with this please??

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Has the Transfer Case fluid been changed?

If not do it before you consider doing anything to the transmission. I don't know that additive but I wouldn't try it.

And another thing, there is only one proper fluid for the Transfer Case, NV146 - check your manual.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has the Transfer Case fluid been changed?

If not do it before you consider doing anything to the transmission. I don't know that additive but I wouldn't try it.

And another thing, there is only one proper fluid for the Transfer Case, NV146 - check your manual.
Ok, I will definitely follow your advice waumo. Thanks! :)
It seems its working better now anyway. :D
What's the average lifespan of a tranny anyway?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Ok,
What's the average lifespan of a tranny anyway?
Since our 2010 came with 5yr/100K mile warranty, Chrysler obviously thinks it is much more than that. Of course you could tear one up in a day if you tried hard enough....:eek:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Jiffy lube...nope

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed, a friend of mine works at a Jiffy Lube and they do not have a dipstick to check our trans level. It isn't as simple as up to operating temperature. You need to know the temp. of the fluid and compare it on a chart.

Reactions: jumpback

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Good comments here, thanks all.
I did the t.c and both diff's, now for the tranny.
Would a ford dealer have the ability to check it and service it?
My buddy works there.
Possible but doubtful. 722.6 is the dipstick part number, about 20 bucks on ebay and when the trans fluid is at 180 degrees, the fluid level should be at 70 on the dipstick.
I have the chart here: http://ekazsrt8.net/documents/NAG1TransmissionFillGraph.jpg

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My dealer here wants $236.00! Ouch, but when the only came in town you make the rules.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Dealer charged me $80 once for them to check the fluid. Only once that happened. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.