Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep is in the dealer for the TPMS issues, while there they went through the care. I trust these guys, I have known them for many years. They have told me the transfer case mount is ripped or has a crack in it, and noted some noise related to it.

Car has a vortech, BB fully built trans, corsa cat back, cmr tune.

Should I just straight replace it, write it off as a one off? Are there upgrade options besides stock? Should the stocker hold given my power level?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
BB sells transfer cases

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,868 Posts
BB sells transfer cases
Paramount has sold "High Torque Capacity" transfer cases for years.

As for your replacement, that's a tuffy. I'm pretty sure Paramount needs a core in exchange for a sale of a transfer case and if yours is damaged that might get pricey...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys am I speaking English???? My transfer case is perfectly fine. There is what's equivalent to a motor mount that holds it in place, my mount has a tear in it. I was curious if a vendor made an upgraded mount.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, I thought the TC was strong enough for all power levels. You don't here of guys blowing out TC. Am I wrong?
Plenty of guys have blown their TC, but it seems its related to miscare, ie not changing the fluid. A few years back the 2wd fad swept through, a lot of guys blew their TC by some of the older methods to do it (electronically, instead of removin the motor).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds great, put me down for one. Is this a weak point that we're just starting to see rear its head? Curious why no one else has had this issue, or posted up about it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Bushing up front? Right underneath the transfer case/transmission tail?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I think so, I haven't really looked under there, just describing how the dealer described it

·
Registered
802 Posts
Transmission mount. If LPM has something in the works I'll be anxious to see what it is and how it will work out or us.

I've never heard of there being any issues with the bushings in there. If I remember right it's just two bolts that go through a couple bushings at 45* angles...?

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Sounds great, put me down for one. Is this a weak point that we're just starting to see rear its head? Curious why no one else has had this issue, or posted up about it.

because you haven't looked....

;)

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59952&highlight=bushing+transfer+case

I posted some photos of the broken one and the new one, thread is pretty old, but we had a few folks have them break. Gotta press them in, can be a pia to change, but its a little isolator bushing. There are three for t/c.

George

Its about a $30 part, maybe a little more, the do that from downshifting hard or other "torque lashing" of the front part of the driveline, and will cause a clunk once it has failed. I filled mine with 3M super duper whizbang windshield sealant to firm them up some.
you certainly don't need to buy a new transfer case.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yea... mine's all mangled. A lot of the jeeps have this problem. It's usually the front bushing. It's been mangled for a while. Let me know if you guys have a better-than-stock replacment, I'll be in JAX on Thursday for some work and would like to pick one up.
704-280-1528
-Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.