Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was rolling down a sort of busy street in a pack of cars and I wanted to jump ahead of the guy to my left. I was in manual mode (thought I was in 3rd), doing about 30, maybe 35. Without looking what gear I am in I got on it hard and down shifted at the same time. The gear grabbed and lunged me forward (for about 1 second), enough to merge but then instantly shook real hard and lost power. The CEL comes on instantly with the friendly chime! I figured I was in second and accidentally hit the rev limiter by shifting to 1st (have done this before only once getting on a freeway going 3rd to 2nd). I let off the gas right as this happened and shifted up again.

I get on the gas and it does not engage, revs but no go forward. I look down at my gear indicator and it says D. I thought it was weird because I was in manual, so I click up again and it stays in D. Now I am just copasting and slowing down, I am in a pack of cars in busy downtown with nowhere to pull over. I shift to N and back to D, NOTHING. Revs but no go! At this point I barely have enough momentum to coast and pull over safely. Turn the car off open door and let everything die, turn in back on and it drives, CEL still on.

I gently drive it a few blocks, pull over and kill the car. Go get the predator out to check the code (thought I might have did somethign to tranny or the transfer case). When I turn it back on the CEL is gone and predator says no codes. Drove it back to work and it seems fine!

Did it just go into some sort of safe mode? Shouldn't it not downshifted? Anyone have this kind of thing happen?

·
Administrator
5,880 Posts
For whatever reason your transmission went into limp mode to protect itself.

Bernie

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
U running a mopar tcm? N it prob just went into safe mode shouldn't worry

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U running a mopar tcm? N it prob just went into safe mode shouldn't worry
No, stock TCM! But it sounds like it shifted down for whatever reason and as you guys said went into some sort of safe mode. Seems to be running fine, was just weird because I used to have the ESM problem where tranny would go limp but all gears were illuminated and this was a little different and I was like "not again"!!!

Thanks for the reassurance, everything seems fine now. Back to the ROCKER it is!

·
Registered
284 Posts
No, stock TCM! But it sounds like it shifted down for whatever reason and as you guys said went into some sort of safe mode. Seems to be running fine, was just weird because I used to have the ESM problem where tranny would go limp but all gears were illuminated and this was a little different and I was like "not again"!!!

Thanks for the reassurance, everything seems fine now. Back to the ROCKER it is!
i experienced the same thing about two weeks ago... it happened two days in a row... the first time in manual mode... didn't shift and hit the rev limiter, immediately went into limp mode... and then the next day it did it while it was in normal Drive. havent had a problem since... but still concerns me. i also had the ESM problem going on... exactly like you described it. took apart the shifter assembly and cleaned the contacts... but i feel like it's not quite right ( maybe just a bit paranoid) what was your solution to the ESM problem?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i experienced the same thing about two weeks ago... it happened two days in a row... the first time in manual mode... didn't shift and hit the rev limiter, immediately went into limp mode... and then the next day it did it while it was in normal Drive. havent had a problem since... but still concerns me. i also had the ESM problem going on... exactly like you described it. took apart the shifter assembly and cleaned the contacts... but i feel like it's not quite right ( maybe just a bit paranoid) what was your solution to the ESM problem?
It was a long road to solving it, still had warranty so I took it to the dealer 4 or 5 times! Had the TCM flashed once and replaced twice, then had the ESM replaced and that fixed it! This was over like a 3month period because it would take a while before it poped up again, I think that the real problem (as many ahve mentioned) is the ESM, at least it was for me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
This happens to me when I'm in first gear romping on it while turning left (like when I'm turning left from a side street and merging into traffic). This gradual turn with a decent amount of g-force rearward and to the right of the vehicle has tripped the car 3 times so far when shifting to second gear.

I'm wondering if the tranny fluid is shifted to a bad spot in the transmission where its not getting picked up during those circumstances stated above, and doesn't have enough to engage a full shift, putting it into limp mode. I have to pull over and shut the car off when it does happen. Thankfully I was in a spot where I could immediately pull over. Makes me look like a real ******* though, hauling ass, making a lotta noise, just to pull over a couple hundred feet later and turn my truck off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts