Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Tranny/TC Issues?? Its with the Dealer now

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  pimpski25 
#1 ·
I'm posting only because it's helping me relieve some anxieties...

I have a 2007 with Mopar CAI, CC, and custom tune.

About two weeks ago, I left a friend's house and started my Jeep only to hear a very disturbing noise emanating from beneath the car. It sounded like something was flopping around in the exhaust system near the tranny/TC area. Unable to identify it exactly, I lightly revved the motor a few times and the noise went away. I drove home (about 200 miles) and then daily to and from work with no problems - for a while. Then about a week later, the noise again(and it IS loud) driving at about 25 mph. This time I felt the noise through my right foot. Before I could pull over and check, it stopped. for the last week it has been more and more frequent, and yesterday it wouldn't stop when I arrived to work in the morning (it did stop for the ride home). Also, when I come to a stop while it's making the noise, I get an addtional one or two surges forward (or clunks). BTW, the Jeep has run great with the few mods listed for a couple of months (since I loaded the custom tune). I left it with the dealer this morning, but with the problem being intermittent, I'm worried I'll get the famous "it didn't do it for us, so we couldn't fix anything", response.

I'll post what they find, if they do, but I'm obvioulsy guessing something in the tranny or TC. Feel free to take a shot at the cause....

See less See more
#2 ·
You will probably get the "we couldnt duplicate the problem."

Unfortunatly if that happens, you need to leave it with them and let someone drive it. Or keep going back when it happens..

#3 ·
Yep, no duplication, so I guess I have to drive it until parts fall out. I do know they looked at it though, because now when I use the auto-up function on the driver's window, the window goes up... and then back down to half way. I guess the computor rebelling against all the poking around:)

#4 ·
mine did the samething like 2 weeks ago! i took it to the dealer and as soon as i got there it didnt make the noise, so i took the service writer for a drive and it made it again.

few hours later they said the tech cant duplicate the noise so i brought it home and hasnt made the noise again but im covered if it breaks lol :)

#5 ·
Sounds like something is broken on the exhaust system and it could be hitting the frame or it could be a broken CAT. Find a lift and check around the cross member. They can shift and hit sometimes. When you hit the gas it moves with the movement of the engine and it comes off the place it's hitting. That's my $.02. Still think it's a CAT though. Good luck.

#7 ·
Well, here's the update.

I hadn't experienced the noise/vibration problem since I brought it home from the dealer (so, a weekend of neighborhood driving and a couple of trips to and from work - about 100 miles), then it reared it's noisy head again last night. I got home from work, turned off the car, then restarted it 15 minutes later (to go pick up my son from a practice) and the noise/vibration was there. My daughter was actually scared to drive in the car - so it's quite a racket

This time I sat curb-side for a while and confirmed that the noise does follow the RPM's, so it's seems to be a rotating part/system. With my foot on the break the noise occured in park and neutral, but when I put it in drive or reverse it stopped (while parked next to the curb with the parking break engaged). As soon as I begin to drive, in forward or reverse, the noise begins again. Here's the thing... When I manually shift through the gears, as soon as I shift into 3rd, the noise/vibration stops. Come to a stop, and the noise/vibration begins again as soon as the tranny shifts down, back into 1st. Even in auto-mode the noise vibration stops as soon as I'm in 3rd (or 4th and 5th for that matter).

My plan was to drive to my first appointment this morning, then to the dealer directly after. Sure enough the noise/vibration was there when I left the house, but after 20 minutes of driving, was gone. So here I sit waiting for another episode with hopes I can get it to the dealer while it is occuring. Still open minded, but I don't think it's exhaust/cat based on it occuring in 1st and 2nd, but not any other gear. Maybe one of the transmission guru's who are regulars on this forum can chime in.

#8 ·
Back to the Jeep Service Department

Well, I enjoyed driving for three weeks with no strange noises/vibrations coming from the tranny (guess I couldn't duplicate either). I continued to be baffled as to the intermittent grinding I had experienced, when my wife called me to say that she was limping the jeep home because it would no longer go more than 25mph. When I got home, I took it for a drive and not only would it not go any faster than 25, but it appeared to be electronically stuck in 3rd gear (from a stop, no auto upshifting or downshifting while slowing) Autostick mode was also no longer functional. I had the flat-bed pick it up and get it back to the dealer. This time they reported a reeking burned transmission fluid odor (three weeks ago it was perfect). Dropping the pan revealed many interesting metal parts, so I'm told. Possibly the intermittent grinding?? Right now, Jeep is recommending the replacement of the entire transmission to my third party warrantee provider. On an aside, their specifying a remanufactured unit, and when I questioned them about that they said there are no NEW units available. Interesting. Has anybody experienced the use of remanufactured parts for warrantee work on these Jeep's?

#9 ·
Well, I enjoyed driving for three weeks with no strange noises/vibrations coming from the tranny (guess I couldn't duplicate either). I continued to be baffled as to the intermittent grinding I had experienced, when my wife called me to say that she was limping the jeep home because it would no longer go more than 25mph. When I got home, I took it for a drive and not only would it not go any faster than 25, but it appeared to be electronically stuck in 3rd gear (from a stop, no auto upshifting or downshifting while slowing) Autostick mode was also no longer functional. I had the flat-bed pick it up and get it back to the dealer. This time they reported a reeking burned transmission fluid odor (three weeks ago it was perfect). Dropping the pan revealed many interesting metal parts, so I'm told. Possibly the intermittent grinding?? Right now, Jeep is recommending the replacement of the entire transmission to my third party warrantee provider. On an aside, their specifying a remanufactured unit, and when I questioned them about that they said there are no NEW units available. Interesting. Has anybody experienced the use of remanufactured parts for warrantee work on these Jeep's?

Most large replacement parts are remanufactured: engines, transmissions, transfer cases, rear ends, etc. That's what your transmission will become when it goes back to them, a "new" remanufactured transmission for the next person in line. It wouldn't be financially possible for them to cast and build virgin replacement transmissions for every NAG1 equipped vehicle they've produced.

#16 ·
ok good deal... i defintely won't be mad if i only have to come out of pocket 800 bucks for a new tranny... i want to have them beef it up though... so maybe i will propose to the tranny shop that i will pay out of pocket for the upgraded components. your problem definitely sounded alot like what i'm experiencing now... so hopefully i can get this fixed and be back in action!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.