Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if you guys running toons from Johan if you have a "rich" smell at idle? I'm just wondering? In the past few years I've had Johan tune my 2 cars. And noticed on both that my exhaust had a really rich smell. Like rich to the point if will irratate my Or maybe my front 02's are on the way out.. who knows... Post up please, I know theres about a bazillion of you. ;)

Fred

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
To that point something has to be wrong Fred .. don't you have I wideband to know if you're rich or not ?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Are you running headers with or without cats?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Fred has cats ..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wideband is showing 14.7ish... running fat up top for other reasons at mid 11's... but that doesn't affect closed loop.

Running long tubes and HF cats which I believed are plugged right now. Goin catless in a month.

And yes, its pretty obnoxious

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Ok just looked at my old thread when I first installed my headers .. My exhaust smelled to a point. It was hurting my eyes .. End up being bad O2 sensors .. Just a suggestion on where to start looking . It also could be installed wrong ???

Reactions: higshemi

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks buddie, gonna order some up and start there.

? Will bad 02's throw a code?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Code even with the Rears O2 off ???

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No code with the rear 02's turned off... But will it "quiet" the front 02's as well if the rears are turned off? I was under the impression, the front and rear 02's were controlled seperately.

·
PWR 440
1,627 Posts
With your rear o2s shut off the front should work properly.

I have no cats and i do get the eye burning smell.

Newfie.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Its normal with no cats. With a high-flow cat it will be worse than stock, but I would gut the cats, replace the o2 sensors, and then see what happens.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Thanks buddie, gonna order some up and start there.

? Will bad 02's throw a code?
Yes I have had the P0038 code on the drivers side rear o2 and the funny thing is the rear o2's were turned oFF in my tune... Once I replaced it I had no more codes....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its normal with no cats. With a high-flow cat it will be worse than stock, but I would gut the cats, replace the o2 sensors, and then see what happens.
YUp, thats what I'll be doin probably.

Another question.... We all know the long tube mid pipes have some knarly bends in them. Best approach to gutting? Probably cutting out the old cats gutting and re- welding, correct?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Wideband is showing 14.7ish... running fat up top for other reasons at mid 11's... but that doesn't affect closed loop.

Running long tubes and HF cats which I believed are plugged right now. Goin catless in a month.

And yes, its pretty obnoxious
Theres nothing else to question here really...if you are seeing 14.7:1 at idle, the smell is just the way it smells ;)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya I understand the HF cats will smell a bit and let some fuel odour past... but this might be a little excessive. I could take a video and do a 4D experiance if you guys like.
Go to the garage grab a 5L container of fuel.... open it up and sniff while your watching this. ;)

Seriously its that strong... lol

I'm gonna log some stuff soon, got an lx'r that gave me some other info to check for... If all is well, I'll be replacing the 02's and gutting the cats, but I imagine gutting the cats will not help with the smell if it is indeed the 02's.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
at 23-30 seconds ur tailpipes look ****ed a bit??????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts