Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Tire Cupping Shocks/suspension vs alignment

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LI-SRT 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the fourm to try and figure out what to do. Have a 14' SRT 116k miles. On 3rd set of tires, first set was OEM then went the cheap option of the Falken for the next two sets. All 3 sets have cupped. I have a lifetime alignment that I have done once a year, and always the specs are with in the range of the SRT on the computer. Each tech said it's the shocks/suspension and not the camber/toe set up of the stock set up.

I have a lifetime MaxCare Extended warranty for the SRT through Fiat/Mopar. Looking for options on how to proceed to have this addressed. Obviously, new tires fix the problems for a bit, but as time goes on you can start to hear it more and more. Do I reach out to the dealer, call SRT, call Max Care?

New tires will be coming soon, it's just frustrating all the road noise because of the cupping.

#2 ·
Good Luck!
I had to replace my front tires multiple times and brought it to 2 different dealers under warranty and then called SRT. They refused to honor warranty after several sets of tires and alignments
Please keep me posted if they honor the warranty and fix your suspension

#3 ·
I have the same issue. From what I’ve been told and me kicking it around with the shop guys we noticed that it is a common thing. Apparently the AWD being “all time on” it likes to cup the tires. I don’t know but my Impreza does it too because I actually drive them lol. I think that has something to do with it as well, you know, driving habits and stuff. I just wrapped 4 hankook tires because it’s kinda ridiculous ponying up almost 2 grand for some oe run flats. Seems the previous owner did the same. I’m curious tho if there’s a fix for sure. Don’t take long for them to start humming pretty loud maybe 10k miles… let us know buddy!!

#4 ·
Had a similar issue but i was also having a dangerous sway’n at Somewhat hi speed issue. Totally destroyed a brand new set o Pirelli’s (Have dealer tire ins for a few more Mo’s so i kept em on) anywho after many frustrating hrs ona lift w anyone that’d test drive and see that they almost died when you jerk’d the wheel at anything over 70mph

(Lemme also say i have a full Bwoody Susp kit. Rear /Front control arms , Eibach rear seay bar , Full bwoody sway bar bushing kit..)

Turned out to be a Broken rear control arm where the Bolt went thru , was really hidden so 3 diff mech’s never saw it but while it was broken was cause a lot of Sway and uneven tire wear. Brand new tires Cupped and sounded like a Truck w 32’ knobbies on it lol. Point is On our trucks cupping is somewhat Norm. But not for 15k + miles Provided alognment is in speck and ck’d every 3-4 mo’s esp if lowered 6mo if not. If not it’s very easy to be outta spec and F**k up a set o tires! If your having this is issue often and as you say 3 set’s o tires im gonna go ahead and say you have a Suspension issue! Find it before ya put the new tires on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.