Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worn through my Toyo Proxes STIII's and need to make a decision on what tires I should choose to replace them. Before I bought the Toyo's I was originally nervous going from a run-flat to a non-run flat due to losing some performance in handling and steering response. I did notice a little squishier sidewall performance of the Toyo's but it was worth loosing the harsh ride and tramlining of the OEM Pirelli all-seasons. When I drove the Toyo's in sport mode I didn't feel like I lost much handling over the OEM's. Since my Jeep is my daily driver I'm not looking for track type performance out of my tires. I'm looking to try something new based somewhat on snow performance. The Toyo's were like trying to play ice hockey in sneakers. I'm well aware of how wide tires and snow don't mix well together. I don't have the ability right now to buy dedicated snow's and/or narrower tires and wheels to combat winter. I mostly keep my truck home when a storm is in forecast. I just need something to get me home from work, etc. in case I get caught in a sudden storm that could lay a couple of inches down. I also don't want to step down in performance from the Toyo's since I felt they were adequate for my driving style. I'm looking for the best possible snow performance and dry handling in the all-season category. I've heard that many give high marks to the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 and some praise the Yokohama Parada Spec-X as well. If you could please give me your opinions on these tires, along with ones I may have overlooked, it would be much appreciated. Especially if you have owned the Toyo STIII's and made a switch.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2007 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee
151 Posts
My 07 had the Parada's installed when I bought it. I had no issue with them at all, I even tracked them once. For an all season tire they performed very well. If Yokohama made them in the 315/275 tire size I would have considered them again but they don't. I never drove them in the snow however, as I have a winter set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the conti DWS 06 for summer and love them for their performance, they make me feel stuck to the road. I first noticed how grippy they were in a RWD i own that i was using them, the car was spinning on practically new michelins so i bought the DWS 06 and the rest is history. only use in summer though and have used the blizzak for winter but switching to hakkapeliittas this winter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your insight. What was your impression of the sidewall performance? I talking about turn in characteristics, lane changes, how they hold in a corner, etc.?

·
Registered
25 Posts
shrug
I notice the switch from my winter tires to my summer setup as far as those things but...
My driving is aggressive enough and i dont notice anything negative about them, i certainly dont remember the runflat pirellis as they were too harsh. DWS06 is a comfortable tire (absorbs some road impact), esp with lowered setup, so theres probably some tradeoff there in the sidewall performance, but not noticeable for me. beats rolling on low pro 22s and eibachs, getting jarred every bump

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Bought my '17 CPO and in order to get the "certification" they had to replace the tires. I did a bunch of research and those received the best ratings from most sites I checked out. I wanted a tire suited for a high performance vehicle like ours. It does really well in dry, very nice performance. Great in wet and decent in snow. Much better than the Parada Spec-X I had on my '14 that this one replaced.
I'm surprised you were concerned that losing the run-flats would result in poorer performance. I was so excited to lose those. The ride was so harsh and just all that extra rotational weight sucked performance. I have a full size spare, so pretty much worthless for me.
Good luck and feel free to PM with any specific questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks chi_boarder. It was my mistake. I was looking on tire rack as a reference. They don't seem to list that size but Michelin does. Given your recommendation of the Michelin's I'm now torn between the two. They both get good ratings but the tests have mostly been performed on sport sedans. That's why I rely on real world users here. If anyone else has all-season reviews of these two tires please let our community know. Thanks for your help.

·
-------------------------
88 Posts
I have the Michelins with about 20k miles, but only one winter when they were still new (got a separate set of wheels with Nokian R3s after that). No complaints so far, but I will probably try the Conti DWS06 next, just to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also struggled with replacing the OEM Pirelli's (P Zero). At roughly $500 a tire with a short tread life, it seemed like way too much money. It seems to me that a run-flat tire would be safer at higher speeds. Anyway, I came across Pirellis at Tire Rack for $216 each. They are closeout priced because they were manufactured in 2017.
I was a bit nervous with tires a few yrs old, but the tires looked great (fresh). I could tell they were stored carefully and not all dried out.
Half price - good deal. they still won't last as long as I want, but for that price I am happy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since being introduced to the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I've been looking into both that and the DWS06. There seems to be differences between the two (as expected) after reading other people's thoughts on the internet. The problem I have is not only are opinions subjective but most feedback is coming from people that aren't driving SUV's let along SRT ones. Even Tire Rack’s test videos can be contradicting because they have multiple videos on the same tire at times. The Michelin does seem attractive due to it being more sport oriented but some say the ride is too harsh and snow is not even possible. Others say the DWS06 is much better in snow but a little squishier in turning maneuvers along with possible tire squeal in corners giving the driver less confidence. I've been told that Michelin addressed the snow issue and claim it's now 28% better in snow hence the new "+" designation. Unfortunately users that have had both felt that didn't make a difference. People do speak highly of the Michelin’s dry and wet handling capability though. Some suggest to over inflate a soft sidewall tire that doesn't have the greatest steering response. This may help but I'm leery about that. I've had personal experience with uneven wear especially on tires that are driven daily for extended miles.

I was glad to ditch the Pirelli A/S run flats after they wore out. Ride was too harsh and wandered all over the road. I will admit they handled turn-in and cornering very well. Something a non-run flat can't do as well in my opinion. I'm not going to use the run-flats as my benchmark. I threw Toyo ST3's on and that has to be my reference point. The Toyo's have absolutely no place being in snow contrary to an older post I made about them. I'd get farther by walking. In sport mode they do the job of dry handling somewhat well though.

I've also run across an availability issue with the Michelin's. I went to Tire Rack to check if it was offered in our size. They didn't list it on their site so I didn't think it existed. What I discovered was the tire is on backorder and TR takes it down if that's the case. I called Michelin and they told me it's due to be produced in a few weeks. TR told me that means nothing because it can take up to 3 months until retailers get them. Frustrating. Especially since there's a rebate promotion right now.

I know all-seasons can’t be the jack of all trades. I'm not looking for either of these two tires to behave like snow tires. I just need something that handles well in dry and wet and can get me home if a snowfall starts while I'm at the office. Possibly up to a few inches. Fortunately I have the ability to work from home if snow is falling when I wake up in the morning.

If anyone has further opinions it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts