Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting back on my Nitrous kit and was wondering if there are any proven timing retard module that works for our Ignition

thanks!

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,143 Posts
Thinking about putting back on my Nitrous kit and was wondering if there are any proven timing retard module that works for our Ignition

thanks!
Sure you can retard the timing yourself with a Predator, Intune, or Trinity, if not you can have your tuner give you a Custom Nitrious tune..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Knuckles, I was hoping to retard timing on the fly so I can run full timing and if I decide to use nitrous it would retard the timing without loading in a tune.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,143 Posts
Thanks for your reply Knuckles, I was hoping to retard timing on the fly so I can run full timing and if I decide to use nitrous it would retard the timing without loading in a tune.
Oh I see that would be nice to do on the fly, but unfortunately with these newer cars you have to do a tune I would think... The Trinity would probably be your best choice as it will load a tune alot quicker then a Predator and possibly a Intune... Hopefully more people will chime in, if not PM Jerseyboy or Johan....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
On the fly not happening, haven't even heard of one being worked on. Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Will not work in a modern vehicle
The description and instructions say it works with the factory EFI on 06-07 models. There are specific harnesses for different model years, and it says it can use the factory EFI timing table but when activated with a wire (say, to your Nitrous arm switch) will implement a timing retard.

Why will it not work in a modern vehicle?

Here are the instructions:
http://documents.msdperformance.com/6013.pdf

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,862 Posts
The description and instructions say it works with the factory EFI on 06-07 models. There are specific harnesses for different model years, and it says it can use the factory EFI timing table but when activated with a wire (say, to your Nitrous arm switch) will implement a timing retard.

Why will it not work in a modern vehicle?

Here are the instructions:
http://documents.msdperformance.com/6013.pdf
The MSD coil packs didn't work for the Gen III. I would have no confidence in this product either. I'm not sure you can get a reliable rpm signal from these late model wonders.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The MSD coil packs didn't work for the Gen III. I would have no confidence in this product either. I'm not sure you can get a reliable rpm signal from these late model wonders.
Yes, that is the issue. I don't know of anybody running the MSD HEMI-6. Probably for a reason. I tried to call MSD to see if they have any references or reviews available but I was on hold too long.

This is actually a pretty significant problem for the Gen III Hemi. We do not have a switchable timing retard feature. It must be installed in the tune (and it will be retarded even when not spraying nitrous). So we cannot run full timing when off the spray without pulling over, re-installing our n/a tune, and remembering to NOT use nitrous with that tune!

Is Chrysler the only company without this capability? Because I know they have it for LSX and Ford engines.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just called MSD and they swear it will work with our factory EFI, but could not provide a reference or magazine article to anyone actually doing it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Chrysler is a different then Ford and Chevy, But if you cant remember to load a tune for racing and street driving people have bigger problems.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Chrysler is a different then Ford and Chevy, But if you cant remember to load a tune for racing and street driving people have bigger problems.
Shit happens. But loading/unloading tunes shouldn't even be necessary as there should be (is?) a timing retard module for the Gen III Hemi.

2 degrees timing retard for each 50 nitrous horsepower some say. On a 250 shot that's 10 degrees timing down even when not spraying... that's a lot of power wasted. Plus it probably runs like crap. A timing retard module would solve this. It also makes it so you don't just have a n/a car for the street or a nitrous car for track... you can have a nitrous or n/a car at anytime. Nobody wants to say: oh you beat me n/a? Hold on pull over with me and give me 5 minutes to load my nitrous tune. If I get beat n/a I just want to flip the nitrous arm button, push the bottle open button, purge, and stomp on it.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I understand where cobra is coming from. MANY other platforms allow you to adjust or change tunes/maps on the fly.

Piggy back systems could accomplish some of what you are asking, but it doesn't seem plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Shit happens. But loading/unloading tunes shouldn't even be necessary as there should be (is?) a timing retard module for the Gen III Hemi.

2 degrees timing retard for each 50 nitrous horsepower some say. On a 250 shot that's 10 degrees timing down even when not spraying... that's a lot of power wasted. Plus it probably runs like crap. A timing retard module would solve this. It also makes it so you don't just have a n/a car for the street or a nitrous car for track... you can have a nitrous or n/a car at anytime. Nobody wants to say: oh you beat me n/a? Hold on pull over with me and give me 5 minutes to load my nitrous tune. If I get beat n/a I just want to flip the nitrous arm button, push the bottle open button, purge, and stomp on it.

Dont get me wrong it would be awesome to be able to run on the fly. But there are a lot of Hemi guys out there that run Big shots of N02 I don't recall seeing any of them running the MSD stuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dont get me wrong it would be awesome to be able to run on the fly. But there are a lot of Hemi guys out there that run Big shots of N02 I don't recall seeing any of them running the MSD stuff.
The difference is being able to do it, and being able to do it RIGHT NOW.

Kinda the same reason the Jeep is awesome. We don't need to go home and break out our slicks. We can launch right now.

Anyways, lack of a timing retard is another reason why most Jeep SRTs run boost instead of nitrous. Out of necessity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts