Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to remove my damper and timing cover etc...will i have to replace the front seal when putting this on my new motor...or will it just simply transfer over? I was looking at some shop manual last night and now i'm curious.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bad...I ment the front crankshaft seal...do i have to replace that or was this what you were talking about???should be right behind the damper i believe

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
my bad...I ment the front crankshaft seal...do i have to replace that or was this what you were talking about???should be right behind the damper i believe
I say look at it and if it looks ok then leave. Other worse if it looks bad then replace it. However let me tell you that it's a real pain in the ass to replace as I tried it myself and just gave up since my buddy had an extra timing cover with the seal on it already. He later told me it took him a while to donit and that I believe you need a special tool to remove it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok....Was it such a pain cuz you didnt have the seal puller???? or just a pain in general?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
ok....Was it such a pain cuz you didnt have the seal puller???? or just a pain in general?
Did not have the seal puller brother... As for installing it I believe you can install it using a vise....

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
With the timing cover off it isn't that bad, just a PITA. If the seal is good, leave it. As for the timing cover gasket, I'd replace it. They are 15-20 bucks at the dealer.
Black RTV is needed in the bottom corners where the block, oil pan, and cover meet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate it...I found the puller on EBAY for a little over $30 i think I'm going to scoop it up just in case...as for the seal...I'm hoping its all good...i'll take a look tonight...i didnt have a puller last night to get my damper off so i got to go grab it after work....I love new projects it gives me a reason to stock up on tools...cuz i can legitimately say...I need this and I NEED THAT...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.