Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I was wondering what would be the best size aftermarket throttle body to put on my 6.4 Jeep ? I know oem is 80mm but how much bigger can I go ?

· Registered
190 Posts
hey guys I was wondering what would be the best size aftermarket throttle body to put on my 6.4 Jeep ? I know oem is 80mm but how much bigger can I go ?

I went with an MMX 87mm TB! I did feel a bit more throttle response but not much compared to when I installed my throttle controller. Check my post here,

THROTTLE BODY RECOMMENDATIONS | Cherokee SRT8 Forum

If I were you, I would hold off on the bigger TB and try using the Ultimate 9 throttle controller! you will like this mod better 100% and you will get better throttle response from this mod. Check my thread for here, if you're not satisfied which you will be, you can try putting on a bigger TB after. But It's a night and day difference using it, even compared to the bigger TB upgrade. I can't drive without it! I keep mine in the A.C mode, which is Automatic, it feels the best daily driving and its ready to go soon as you smash the pedal!

Ultimate 9 throttle controller | Cherokee SRT8 Forum

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you for the advice . Is this much different that a pedal commander? Because I’ve heard those are useless , what other mods do you have done to the Jeep?

thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
I’ve also been looking into a new throttle body. Seems the general consensus is the SRT’s TB is large enough to support most of the demand unless you’re trying to go to FI or build a lot more power.

· Registered
190 Posts
Ok thank you for the advice . Is this much different that a pedal commander? Because I’ve heard those are useless , what other mods do you have done to the Jeep?

thanks
Same concept, who ever told you they are useless doesn't know what they are talking about.

I've had a pedal commander on my 2016 V6 Cherokee and again it's a night and day difference! reason is our TB are drive by wire. So, there is allot of throttle lag!! What I like about the Ultimate 9 is that it has an Auto setting so it's not so aggressive on the TPS%, So you can daily drive with that setting and soon as you punch it the controller adjusts to the right % and boy does it feel good accelerating with it on.

The only benefit you will get and what most people are after when upgrading the TB is not for HP because you will not get much if any but for better acceleration and reduced throttle lag!

If I would do it over, I would have never purchased a bigger throttle body because I know the Ultimate 9 throttle controller would have taken care of the throttle lag and then some more!~

My mods are very simple, I'll be doing the plug and play Ape performance E85 kit soon no tuning required on this setup it claims some good HP gains with this kit. I actually know the guy who helped develop this kit his name is Dardan he is a well-known tuner here; he has tuned many of my engine setups.

Mopar EV6: V8 cylinder Flex Fuel Conversion (apeflexfuel.com)

Suitcase muffler replaced with custom X pipe.
Mufflex muffler tips
87mm MMX TB
Ultimate 9 controller
Injen CAI
FlooThroo vent
catch can

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard from a few people but I agree I think it works on certain vehicles better than others . I’m not sure what size tb to get though . I will look into the ultimate 9 . I was also looking into a tuner like a Diablo . Would it make sense to just get the tuner instead of the ultimate 9 ? Is there much difference in the two?

ive also been doing research on the e-85 plug and play harness as well . I have it in the shopping cart actually . I have read that you may need bigger fuel injectors . Do you know if there is any truth to that ?

· Registered
190 Posts
I heard from a few people but I agree I think it works on certain vehicles better than others . I’m not sure what size tb to get though . I will look into the ultimate 9 . I was also looking into a tuner like a Diablo . Would it make sense to just get the tuner instead of the ultimate 9 ? Is there much difference in the two?

ive also been doing research on the e-85 plug and play harness as well . I have it in the shopping cart actually . I have read that you may need bigger fuel injectors . Do you know if there is any truth to that ?
If you're going to get a diablo for the PCM and have it tuned, then yes, no need for the Ultimate 9 controller.

There is a big difference between an EMS (engine management system) and a throttle controller... a big difference. With the diablo EMS the tuner will adjust the TPS% settings and much much more parameters of the engine! in fact every parameter! The U9 throttle controller only has preset settings for TPS% adjustments.

No, you don't need bigger injectors for the plug and play E85 kit I posted, it Dynamically adjusts fuel injector pulses based on ethanol content measured in the fuel. It comes with the Fuel Composition Sensor, Control Module, and Wiring Harness. You can use the APP to monitor the injector duty cycle. Most newer cars after 2000 have fuel lines and injectors that can handle E85, this is word for word what the tuner who created the E85 kit told me, so I don't have to worry about my fuel lines or injectors being damaged! Lots of people run his kit on both Hondas and Mopars.

In all honesty after you have your N.A setup tuned Yes you will have crisp Throttle response and maybe a bit more HP from the timing but you're not going to make much more power than it already has. If you go forced induction, then yes you will benefit much more with an EMS but for a basic bolt on setup the stock PCM works just fine! the only thing is the TPS lag which is why some go with a controller like the U9.

It's even said that the stock PCM will re learn your new mods by re setting the fuse. I have confirmed this when I changed my exhaust setup I felt my low end suffered but top end was a little better. After I re set the fuse, the engine woke up and i did not have that lag anymore and felt much better. I did the same with the intake and TB after installation.

The engine knock on wood runs very well! it's very responsive. I have 0 complaints and feel there is no need for tuning on this setup I have.

Anything more like cams, after market manifolds, headers, different fuel I recommend having the PCM tuned on an EMS because you will not run right with those mods upgraded on a stock PCM.

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh that’s great to hear because I was going to order he e-85 kit then read something about needing new injectors after a year and those aren’t cheap . Since I’m getting a tune do you think it would be beneficial to get a bigger tb ? See My Goal is to make my jeep as fast as I can safely. As of right now I’m going to stay na I have no intention of building the engine enough to hold boost. To boost the 6.4 you really have to build the engine correctly or it will throw a rod etc . Before the end of this year I would like to have my jeep running on e-85 with a unlocked pcm and a very nice tune on it

Mods right now
Catback corsa exhaust
Jlt catch can
Kn air intake

· Registered
190 Posts
Oh that’s great to hear because I was going to order he e-85 kit then read something about needing new injectors after a year and those aren’t cheap . Since I’m getting a tune do you think it would be beneficial to get a bigger tb ? See My Goal is to make my jeep as fast as I can safely. As of right now I’m going to stay na I have no intention of building the engine enough to hold boost. To boost the 6.4 you really have to build the engine correctly or it will throw a rod etc . Before the end of this year I would like to have my jeep running on e-85 with a unlocked pcm and a very nice tune on it

Mods right now
Catback corsa exhaust
Jlt catch can
Kn air intake
Thats going to be up to you! I'm almost sure if you did a back-to-back dyno run the gains will be very minimal! like I mentioned you will get a bit smoother acceleration but the tuner can adjust that when its tuned. If you're going to get tuned and want the most HP from a bigger TB avoid the "ported" throttles like i have and go with a Hellcat 94mm TB and adapter! this is a 94mm TB and you should deff get some gains with a good tune!~ Try and use a good intake to compliment the big TB.

Hellcat Throttle Body and 6.4L Adaptor Dodge Charger Challenger 392 Sc – Khaos Motorsports

If you wanted to boost the engine there is a very easy and simple solution, look into the drop in piston and rod kit. I'm still debating on doing this if I boost mine someday.

These are drop in pistons and rods, no machine work needed.

You have the engine pulled and have the stock pistons and rods replaced with these, they recommend pairing it with Joe Gibbs driven break in oil for approximately 500 miles. Changing it around 150-200 miles to aid in seating. and go tune the engine on boost. If you have a allot of miles on the engine you might want to have the cylinders honed before putting the new pistons in.

LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS 6.4L HEMI DROP IN PISTON AND ROD KIT | LPP733100 | Livernois Motorsports

You can put the E85 kit and run it on till you get the PCM unlocked the tuner can then tune it with the flex fuel sensor installed.

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright hell ya I’ll check out that hellcat tb with the adjustment . I also am looking into doing a Holley high ram as well . Only thing is it sits so high I would have to cut out a little of my hood which some guys can make it look really good or just not put the hood back on lol .
Watched a guy on tiktok put a whipple on his scat but he did it right did all internals injectors everything . He was saying you could bore out the intake manifold instead of doing a high ram. Any thoughts on that ? Said it would be a lot cheaper and the same performance

· Registered
190 Posts
Alright hell ya I’ll check out that hellcat tb with the adjustment . I also am looking into doing a Holley high ram as well . Only thing is it sits so high I would have to cut out a little of my hood which some guys can make it look really good or just not put the hood back on lol .
Watched a guy on tiktok put a whipple on his scat but he did it right did all internals injectors everything . He was saying you could bore out the intake manifold instead of doing a high ram. Any thoughts on that ? Said it would be a lot cheaper and the same performance
Yea I would go with a OEM ported intake manifold check out the MMX deal, pull it off And send it to them, you will save allot on core charge almost $500, no need for those big bulky manifolds.

I like the Ultimate 9 throttle controller so much I decided to buy one for my 2020 Honda civic I recently purchased as my new daily driver. It suffers allot from throttle lag so im excited to free up the power band! I used a promo code they gave me and saved $20!

· Registered
2016 SRT night
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome man . I hope the ultimate 9 works out for the daily . I’m ready to make my jeep a jaw dropper.. after all this I’m looking into cams as well. The chop of cams is the second best sound . Only second 2 the super charger lol

· Registered
190 Posts
Awesome man . I hope the ultimate 9 works out for the daily . I’m ready to make my jeep a jaw dropper.. after all this I’m looking into cams as well. The chop of cams is the second best sound . Only second 2 the super charger lol

Thanks! yea I installed it in my Honda and just like the Jeep it makes driving more pleasant. I can barely press on the gas, and it accelerates just the way I want it. Getting on the freeway is much easier cause I'm not smashing on the pedal to get up to speed and down shifts are easier. Without the controller even in my Jeep I can't stand to drive it stock anymore.

Yea cams sound nasty on these Hemi's! Blowers sound even better haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts