Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will start by explainging what all is going on with my rig... then i will go over the mods done to the truck. i just got my jeep back form the dealer, they put a new transfer case motor in and took out the "disable 4WD switch" from the previous owner. when driving home it didn't quite feel the same to me (they did have it for a week so i was driving a different vehicle for a little while) so anyway i parked it at home. i just got a predator so i was wanting to marry it up to my jeep and start playing. the predator told me that my jeep had a previous tune and it could not back up my stock tune.
i didn't do anything else with it, left that night and it was running rough at idle and actually died out on me... so i fired it back up and same thing... i got it going and was heading down the highway with the cruise set at about 75MPH. seemed to be running fine. all of a sudden i felt a loss of power and the red lightning bolt hit the dash and the pedal had absolutely no response. i pulled over to the side of the rode turned the jeep off and started it back up... it was running rough but i put it in gear and took off ( probably not the smartest... but i had to get it back home) it took off like a bad out of hell! now it dies out on me every time i come to a stop. it will idle rough... as soon as you put it in gear it wants to die.. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Mods: Magnaflow exhaust, Hooks headers, indy stage II heads, PPP Ported Intake, MM ported throttle body, comp cams custom cam, 80lb fuel injectors, dual walbro fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Question is..... why does the truck have 80lb injectors? It had to have been boosted before. Search around the site and on WKJeeps.con. There's a way to reset the TB. Give that a shot. Also, make sure it's fully plugged in. How long have you had the Jeep?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it had a vortech V3 on there before supposedly ... i bought the jeep in february of this year. it was a trade in at a dealer right around chicago. the info on the mods i have was from someone on this site. they were thinking they knew who's jeep it was. obviously i can verify half the mods... the other ones i'd have to tear it apart...

·
Registered
418 Posts
lightning bolt means one thing only and thats your ETC, is there any other check engine lights? Unplug the battery and let things reset for a few min, then start it again. Was the idle roughness an issue before, or it just showed up after you picked it up from the dealer?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the check engine light came on. i'll be retreiving the codes from the dealer tomorrow... i didn't want to run them and clear it before i dropped it off. i had a few times over the summer where i had that light come on and it went away by the time i got it to my dealership to have them run the codes. i havent had a problem for a while... it felt different when i picked it up from the dealer, but it wasnt until i tried plugging the predator up to it and it wouldnt work because it could not back up the stock tune. now maybe the ETC had an intermittent problem and now it has totally failed?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Would the previous tune, maybe a vortech tune cause the issues? Rough ideal and stalling out?

The lighting bolt is the electronic throttle.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I wonder if somehow the predator wiped out the CMR tune that was in there. That would explain the rough idle and stall. My Trinity reset on me one day and reverted back to the stock tune....40 miles away from home. It wouldn't stay idleing because of my Sparrow cam.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
it had a vortech V3 on there before supposedly ... i bought the jeep in february of this year. it was a trade in at a dealer right around chicago. the info on the mods i have was from someone on this site. they were thinking they knew who's jeep it was. obviously i can verify half the mods... the other ones i'd have to tear it apart...
Yeah this was my guy Combatmedics Beast out here from Chicago and had a Vortech V3 on it before...He was alos a member on here before..All the mods you list on it are accurate except that he had Kooks headers not Hook.. Right when he sold it some guy out in Indiana bought it not sure if that was you I told before unless you just bought it very recently.

It sounds to me like the dealer flashed your PCM, which has unmarried your Predator that you have now... You will have to contact Diablo to unlock your Predatotr now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well good to know knuckles... could this be just the tune? i could understand that maybe not having the tune would make it run rough at idle... but to me that wouldnt explain how the ETC light came on while cruising down the highway and losing throttle response...

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
well good to know knuckles... could this be just the tune? i could understand that maybe not having the tune would make it run rough at idle... but to me that wouldnt explain how the ETC light came on while cruising down the highway and losing throttle response...
Running a stock tune would definietly make your Jeep run rough man... That Thunder bolt could mean many things, like having a bad alternator. What I would do first is check to make sure that your battery is goo and that you have it load tested as that will cause all sorts of weird problems on our Rigs and then go from there.

If I was you I would slap that Vortech and a new tranny on there as that Jeep was freaking wicked when I drove in it....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Running a stock tune would definietly make your Jeep run rough man... That Thunder bolt could mean many things, like having a bad alternator. What I would do first is check to make sure that your battery is goo and that you have it load tested as that will cause all sorts of weird problems on our Rigs and then go from there.

If I was you I would slap that Vortech and a new tranny on there as that Jeep was freaking wicked when I drove in it....
ok thanks for advice... i'm going to pick it up tomorrow from the dealer. i do not feel like they're going to help. i will start there... and see where it takes me.

but yeah i bet it was a beast with that vortech set up! now when it comes to the tranny... what would you recommend?? ha and stangslayerMa thanks for the link! i will be messaging supabusa ASAP :)

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
ok thanks for advice... i'm going to pick it up tomorrow from the dealer. i do not feel like they're going to help. i will start there... and see where it takes me.

but yeah i bet it was a beast with that vortech set up! now when it comes to the tranny... what would you recommend?? ha and stangslayerMa thanks for the link! i will be messaging supabusa ASAP :)
Anytime! Yeah fastest Jeep I have ever been in out here for sure with that Vortech.... If you want a tranny then I would either buy Builder Bill's Rebuild kit or a built tranny from him..... Makes the most sense to .me since that Rig already has the dual pumps in the tank, one step colder plugs probably, and the 80# injectors...

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Didn't he have a cam in there too? Might need a CMR tune.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ok, now the dealer is telling me that he got codes for the O2 sensors... stating all 4 are bad and need to be replaced. hes saying that this is MOST LIKELY what the problem is... now i understand that's what regulates the leanness or richness but ALL FOUR went bad? i feel like theyre reaching for something... i defintely fee like the O2 sensors would not cause my jeep to lose power like it did while cruising down the highway.. pretty frustrating... costing me over 600 dollars for diagnosis and parts and labor...

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
ok, now the dealer is telling me that he got codes for the O2 sensors... stating all 4 are bad and need to be replaced. hes saying that this is MOST LIKELY what the problem is... now i understand that's what regulates the leanness or richness but ALL FOUR went bad? i feel like theyre reaching for something... i defintely fee like the O2 sensors would not cause my jeep to lose power like it did while cruising down the highway.. pretty frustrating...
Believe or not, but I have know people with bad o2 sensors and they say the Jeep feels real strong at times and then seems real weak and as soon as they changed out all (4) o2 sensors the problemwas gone.. One thing is that if you have a stock tune loaded on this Jeep the rear o2 sensors will be throwing codes, which also trigger the front (2) o2 sensors to thro codes as well. Get your Predator situation figured out and make sure those 2 rear o2 sensors are OFF..... If you do in fact need brand new o2 sensors they are 34 bucks each online at mopar super center.... At the dealer they are 80 bucks each..

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
If the dealer updated the cal while they had it it would put the cal back to stock which could cause your issues. Stock cal is designed for 36lb injectors so the front o2s would be pulling alot of fuel to compensate and the rear o2s would set a code due to headers. The lightning bolt could be caused by a 2 bar map sensor (used on vortech kits) on a 1 bar cal. That could also explain the loss of power. I would have expected the truck to run poorly from the get go though.

J

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the dealer updated the cal while the had it it would put the cal back to stock which could cause your issues. Stock cal is designed for 36lb injury so the front o2s would be pulling alot of fuel to compensate and the rear o2s would set a code due to headers. The lightning bolt could be caused by a 2 bar map sensor (used on vortech kits) on a 1 bar cal. That could also explain the loss of power. I would have expected the truck to run poorly from the get go though.

J
i already called the dealer and left them a message telling them not to do anything with the O2's. they were supposed to do it first thing in the morning. before i hooked up this predator and tried backing up the stock tune to import a new one it ran out strong... i feel like with a better tune it had more potential. but it ran smooth and would idle.. and the weird thing is its idles while in park (rough) then when i put it's in gear it falls right on it face :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The lightning bolt could be caused by a 2 bar map sensor (used on vortech kits) on a 1 bar cal. That could also explain the loss of power. I would have expected the truck to run poorly from the get go though.

J
now i have had the red lightning bolt pedal loss of power before... never this rough idle or dying out when putting it in gear or coming up to a stop...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.