Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My radio has gone bad, no way of fixing it. And since I can't take it to the dealer for warranty, I've decided I'm going with a Kenwood.

I'm having the Bezel trimmed by a professional so I can fit in a double-din.

My question is... Could someone point me out in the right direction for which exact adapters I'd need for the radio to work, with steering wheel controls, camera, bluetooth, iphone etc etc...?

I've searched, but I'm a little confused if the radio brand changes anything, and I've seen people have problems with steering wheel controls.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Go to PAC Audio's website, enter the vehicle information and they'll list all the adapters you will need. Most new headunits have bluetooth and iPod control built in.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I'm at the website at the moment, there's quite a few adapters. Do I need them all, or just some specific ones?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would definitely go with the PAC steering wheel adapter, as I am having some issues with my axxess adapter. I have a JVC HU, and e-mailed JVC twice. Once they said the HU supports a "preset up" and once they said it did not :confused: My installer said it did not, so I'm living with it for now, but seems that should be a supported function, I mean come on it's a pretty common feature.

Anyway, the biggest dilemma you will have is on the adapter for the HU. As far as I know, the only two are from PAC, and Axxess. The PAC will not support a fader function. It passes TWO channel audio to the factory amp only. The factory amp receives it's fader commands through the can-bus system, the PAC does not convert your HU fader to can-bus data. Along with the obvious loss of fader control, you will lose any ablility to "time correct" for your speakers (If the HU you pick out has this feature).

Now, the Axxess Does convert the fader setting to can-bus data, however it does a very poor job of this. It seems that any time no audio is present, the adapter "zeros" the fader then adjust it once sound is there. The end result is that any time you "track up", switch sources, or change stations there will be about a half of a second audio "adjustment" to your fader. It gets really annoying. BTW, I do have the latest software fix for the axxess module, that was supposed to fix the fader issue. It is better than before in that it sounds fine when music is constant, unlike before the update, but it's just not what I would call acceptable.

If you can't live with either of these limitations, the only options I see for you are 1) put a new factory HU in, or 2) go with a full blown aftermarket amp/speaker install along with your new HU. Whichever you choose, good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, that is the correct steering wheel adaptor for a Kenwood. You will also need a PAC C2R-CHY4 for the head unit to interface with the factory harness. Just be aware that you lose the fader and individual speaker control, as the adapter is two channel only. The fader control is the ability to increase or decrease the output of the front and rear speakers in relation to each other. Think of it as a balance control, except instead of left to right control, it is front to back. Another concern is that you lose the ability to individually control the time delay, or crossover of individual speakers. I don't know which Kenwood you are looking at, but most of them offer this feature. You will lose it with the C2R-CHY4. The only other adapter availible is the axxess CHTO-01. It offers fader control, but is terrible at it. I cannot recommend that piece of crap, best to forget it all together. Hope this helps you, I am in a similar boat, and have decided to just go ahead and add an aftermarket amp and speakers, and avoid the headache. BTW, which Kenwood are you looking at? The 7180 was my first choice. It can do an amazing amount of stuff, but it was just sooooo laggy and slow to respond that I had to pass. I ended up with the JVC KW-NT50HDT, and so far I like it. It doesn't have as many bells and whistles as other models (especially the top Kenwoods) but it it lightning fast, quick to boot, and so far 100% reliable on bluetooth connection to my phone. Fairly inexpensive too, $800 at walmart of all places ($100 cheaper than at best buy!). May want to give it a look.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure yet of which Kenwood I'm getting. Any suggestions?

The reason I'm getting a Kenwood is because it is the only brand that has active GPS down here where I live. Any other brand doesn't support the maps and I'll just have a blue GPS screen like I did before my MyGig died.

I'll take suggestions if anyone has any as of which I could purchase.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just playing with the display model, the DDX418 seemed pretty snappy and reasonably priced. I almost bought it over the JVC. You would have to add on the Nav module KNA-G610 for navigation capability, but even with that it should be well under $1000. It states that it uses the Garmin nav, but I don't know if it has the capability of giving you the maps you need.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Garmin works down here. I was looking at the Kenwood website and I see some DX9890 or something like that, looks really nice. But not sure of price on that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it's the dnx 9980, then that is their top of the line model. I believe it retails for $1700 USD. I looked at the next one down, the dnx 7180. They both use the same Graphical user interface and it's slow, complicated, and laggy. Yea, it can do a boatload of things, but having to wait 30+ seconds to boot up (makes a rear view camera almost worthless, unless you like to sit) and always questioning if your touch command was accepted, because there is a half second delay before the unit reacts, just turned me away. The DDX 418 uses a simpler interface that is quick to boot, very intuitive, and responsive to touch commands. I would have bought it if it were not for the fact that you cannot get Satellite radio AND bluetooth with it. It's one or the other, not both.

To help you pick one out, just enter the model number into a youtube search, and watch how each one operates.

Here is a short video of the DNX 9980

and here is the DDX418

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, the DDX418 looks great! It looks exactly like what I want.

I don't want a million features, pretty much GPS, Bluetooth, IPhone/IPod, and Videos. That's it.

Seems like the DDX418 has it so you can also pick songs from the iPod/iPhone as well and not like MyGig where you can't.

Looks very nice. What's this unit retail at?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the 9980. Very nice head unit. GPS is wonderful.

IIRC, I used the PAC CAN-BUS adaptor along with the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel adaptor. I have mine set for volume up/down, station or track up/down (depending on source), source select, and mute.

I do not have the factory amp installed anymore and am running aftermarket amps.
Stock speakers for now, but better speakers to come soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The DDX418/nav module combo is around $800 USD when you purchase them together.

Mr C, how do you have your current aftermarket amps/stock speakers set up? Did you run the dash speakers and front doors off the same amp channel, or seperate ones? Use any crossovers or bass blockers for the dash? Also, do you happen to know what the stock speakers impedance ratings are? I have a 4 channel amp laying around and plan on using it for my rig, but was going to wait until I installed some aftermarket component speakers so I wouldn't have any impedance or crossover issues. But if your having good results, I may go ahead and just install the amp now and wait on the speakers.

BTW Mr C, nice choice of year and color :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mr C, how do you have your current aftermarket amps/stock speakers set up? Did you run the dash speakers and front doors off the same amp channel, or seperate ones? Use any crossovers or bass blockers for the dash? Also, do you happen to know what the stock speakers impedance ratings are? I have a 4 channel amp laying around and plan on using it for my rig, but was going to wait until I installed some aftermarket component speakers so I wouldn't have any impedance or crossover issues. But if your having good results, I may go ahead and just install the amp now and wait on the speakers.

BTW Mr C, nice choice of year and color :)
Each speaker has a separate amp channel. I currently have two 4-channel amps. Saving two channels in case I end up doing a 3 way front stage. I am using a combination of my head unit's crossovers along with the crossovers in my amps for now (still have the gains pretty low), but when I get my aftermarket speakers in, then I will run everything active and wide open. Not sure about what the stock speaker impedances are, but my amps are having no problems as they can easily dip down to 2 ohms per channel if needed.

Thanks about the truck. I can see you have good taste as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts