Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been running a new JLT catch can on my 2017 for about 5-8,000 miles and the can was damn near full. I am starting to worry as to why it is sucking up so much oil?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I’ll have to look at my folder... Still concerned as to why this thing has such excessive blow by.

·
-------------------------
85 Posts
I get at least a half inch in 1-2k miles, so yeah it would be pretty full going past 5k miles. Why did you wait so long before you ever checked it? Most people dump theirs every 2-4k miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get at least a half inch in 1-2k miles, so yeah it would be pretty full going past 5k miles. Why did you wait so long before you ever checked it? Most people dump theirs every 2-4k miles.
I didn’t think that it would produce so much blow by. My 5th gen camaro produces a lot less and thought it would be similar. I will start to dump a lot sooner now.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Looks normal to me. That's the whole point to having one. LOL

·
Registered
440 Posts
I might get an inch per 4k miles but that's on wk1. My buddy with wk2 gets the same

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank goodness for that catch can imagine all of that going back into your motor and what kind of stuff that could of possibly cause down the road.. I live here in Hawaii and our weather is mostly 80 degrees but about 65% humidity.. I drain mines about 2-3k miles or every oil change. My 2017 SRT with produces about 1/4 of my catch can in that time frame. So maybe it depends on your weather where you live could affect your performance And maintenance... but I do notice this motors do have lots more blow by than others... all I can say is that god we have installed it on our SRTs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it possible that you overfill in oil. (too much oil in the engine) thus a lot of it is coming up into the catch can.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Either over filled oil or to much blow by one or more pistons a leak down test would diagnose the problem if there’s one

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seems a little excessive, but I dump mine every oil change(3k miles). On the other hand if you’ve been running it for 8k miles it might not be.
Here’s mine after 3k miles:
guessing it’s 3 or 4oz. So, about an ounce per 1000 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts