Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 SRT8 and I love it, especially the traction. I am interested in modifying it, but spending my money as wisely as possible.

How reliable are the vortech packages, is this something I can use as a daily driver or would the motor need to be forged down the line?

Transmission- Would installing a SHR transmission be all I need to have reliable power without anything breaking or would additional work be required?

Thanks in advance for your help.

DJACK

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
A vortech is perfectly fine for a DD, but it will be hard to keep off the gas pedal. so like you said a tranny upgrade will probably be needed eventually.. But under 8 psi would be fine on a stock motor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No problem with the vortech as a daily, its cheap, and a very solid package, it has the longest history on the Jeep as far as forced induction goes. I would drive it year around if I had too, with out a doubt, and is very fun out of the box, no other mods needed.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Almost 18k miles on vortech its my DD runs 11.5-11.7 I have headers & corsa exhaust & a built trans.my stock trans with stage 2 valve body started slipping 2nd to 3rd gear about 10 months after changing to the 30t pully..as a side note get yourself a A/F guage & a Boost guage,these are must items,just like a Catch can.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on adding gauges and a catch can.

Is there much labor involved in replacing a transmission? Anything else that needs to be added to compliment it or, or should I be set with all the above?

Thanks again for everyones help!

DJACK

·
Registered
298 Posts
No problem with the vortech as a daily, its cheap, and a very solid package, it has the longest history on the Jeep as far as forced induction goes. I would drive it year around if I had too, with out a doubt, and is very fun out of the box, no other mods needed.
Since when was 6-7k installed considered as cheap lol :D

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
if you don't plan to go more than 6 lbs or so, you can use a Builder Bill valve body or swap to blue top solenoids to beef up the tranny until it either breaks or you can afford the upgrade. Several guys here have done one or the other of these mods and their trannys are still doing fine. I've got blue tops that will be going in when the garage gets below 100 degrees...

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
I will have a used paxton supercharger setup with a front mount intercooler available shortly.
I could package it with an SHR tranny if you like for a nice price. I'm thinking 9.5k installed and tunedby AJ hemituner.
Out the door. 14.5k with a forged 6.1 installed.

Our shop is located in Farmingdale, NY
Here is a link to picks of the supercharger setup. Will have more soon.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56753

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
I will have a used paxton supercharger setup with a front mount intercooler available shortly.
I could package it with an SHR tranny if you like for a nice price. I'm thinking 9.5k installed and tunedby AJ hemituner.

Some one better jump on this ASAP , Great deal Chris .. way to step up to the play ;)

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Ive had my vortech on for about 10,000 miles now and have done nothing to the trans and have no slipping. If it goes it goes but I have no signs of any slipping.

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts

Great deal but who's got $14k laying around lol

BTW i haven't forgotten to paypal you for the front diff....just a few more days

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That is a smoking deal! I just bought the car, so I'm busy trying to get my wish list square first then start saving.... might be a couple of months.

Out of curiosity, how long would something like this take? My Z06 isn't so good in the winter :rolleyes:

Thanks,

DJACK

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Think not. Do. Or do not.

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
That is a smoking deal! I just bought the car, so I'm busy trying to get my wish list square first then start saving.... might be a couple of months.

Out of curiosity, how long would something like this take? My Z06 isn't so good in the winter :rolleyes:

Thanks,

DJACK

I would say 3 weeks, I might have some new piping done to replace the old.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
The only issue I ever had with the Vortech kit was the tensioner breaking, Belt slippage, and belt shredding...After I upgraded those items it was some fun power!

·
Registered
169 Posts
this is so tempting. i will be talking to you as soon as i return from sea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts