Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had coolant all over the engine bay. checked the hoses then found that the thermostat gasket was ripped. i was driving pretty hard that day . has this happened to anyone else ?

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Sure it wasnt the radiator cap? That is a big issue with these jeeps..

And if it is the thermostat, have you replaced with a 180 or is it original?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the 180 stat it was a motorad... Replaced the cap.... Well i ordered a jet 180 and a bullet housing. And will be changing all the factory clamps

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Cool, yeah it sounds like the gasket on the thermostat went bad or something.. I had that damn radiator cap spray for awhile.. finally fixed it.. it made my engine bay look like crap..

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Not too long ago my stock t-stat developed a leak in the gasket and lost some coolant. Replaced with a new stock t-stat and gasket. Working great so far. Took two weeks for the air to work it's way out of the system after replacement and topped it off with 1/2 gallon of oem coolant.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
hey mongoose did you change the housing to ?
Truthfully I'm not sure. In was in at the dealer for an alignment since I just dropped the jeep and told them to check it out. I believe they just replaced the t-stat and gasket, the housing didn't look new. I can take a look again tomorrow and get back.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thermostat

My thermostat was found to be closed. Hose off at engine connection and at radiator. Result-cooked motor. 54,000 miles. No indication of overheating. I am dealing with case manager from Chrysler and Quality Control. I am pissed. Mechanic at dealer says "yeah I started the truck and drove around the block blowing blue smoke, after cranking the ignition 3 times and I finally got it started." WTF? I just had the GC towed 140 miles.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My thermostat was found to be closed. Hose off at engine connection and at radiator. Result-cooked motor. 54,000 miles. No indication of overheating. I am dealing with case manager from Chrysler and Quality Control. I am pissed. Mechanic at dealer says "yeah I started the truck and drove around the block blowing blue smoke, after cranking the ignition 3 times and I finally got it started." WTF? I just had the GC towed 140 miles.
Cooked motor....

Don't mean to doubt you, but just a bit confused here. Are you saying that the stat was completely closed, and the upper hose lost connection at both ends? And you were driving it when this happened?

Yet, you noticed no coolant smell, steam, spike in temp gauge, increase in oil temp (if you were looking) shut down of AC cooling (if on), and no noticeable change of in cabin temp? Could you clarify a bit?

Only happened to me once.....stat failure only....and it was quite obvious there was an issue developing. I'm feeling for you man, and I hope you had an oem 203 stat in there Cause if the dealer is paying attention, and is aware of Chrysler's issued bulletin regarding stock stats, and warranty claims, and if you're under an extended warranty, you might have a problem. Good luck with repairs. Hope it all works out.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
anyone know the part# for the 180* tstat from autozone? i think its a motorad tsta. think my gasket blew or ripped last night and now there coolant all over and my temps ar getting up to about 230.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
anyone know the part# for the 180* tstat from autozone? i think its a motorad tsta. think my gasket blew or ripped last night and now there coolant all over and my temps ar getting up to about 230.
Yeah it is 4128. (should also be on their cross ref. page under that number)

This has always been confusing.

Originally was in a yellow/black box marked Valucraft.
Then
was in a blue/white box marked CST (Cooper standard Robertshaw)
Then, as of 6/18/11
It was in a Red/blue box (I think) marked Duralast.

That should be it.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Bullit or billet? From
Billet tech?? What will this do? I got it out. The gasket that goes around the t-stat Itself ripped. But I Noticed that these 180* tstats with the gaskets don't fit there too big. What do I need to make it fit right?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bullit or billet? From
Billet tech?? What will this do? I got it out. The gasket that goes around the t-stat Itself ripped. But I Noticed that these 180* tstats with the gaskets don't fit there too big. What do I need to make it fit right?

Only had this problem once on one of the 3 or 4 stats I have used. Think it was on the original 170 I put in. Had to file a little off all the way around and slip the gasket back on. Then it popped in. You could Dremel it a bit too.

Other than that I have always used a plastic tool to carefully keep pushing the gasket down until it seats. I have never had any leaks at the inlet neck from any of the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
joe just a heads up, the 4128 does NOT come with a gasket in the box. i was so lucky i found my stock tstat gasket in my garage because my replacement stock tstat's gasket was shreaded to hell. OEM is made much better IMO.

i didnt even bother shaving my 180* stat down. i was able to get the thing in as is. just takes some patience.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
I got it together yestarday and they found a gasket for me but it deff seems the tstat needs to be shaved a little. I don't trust the gasket they gave me so I'm gonna go to jeep and get an OEM tstat and use the gasket off that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts