Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

That 70MPH vibration...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Vancouver 
#1 · (Edited)
2010 WK1, 105,500 miles. BC struts ( front & rear), New half shafts, upper/lower control arms, sway bar bush, tie rod ends (outer) diff mount (center only) to poly. Outer looked fine, hubs and front prop shaft. All done around 100k and everything was smooth as silk for about 5k miles. Now I'm back to that damn 70 MPH vibration again...

Could it be the rear shaft? Any good way to see if too much play in it?

#4 ·
Tires are brand new. I felt the vibration begin again before I put new tires on and nothing changed with the tires.

Only thread I have seen on this site that stated they fixed it was one stating lower control arms did the trick. I put new ones in with the entire front end re-build (although they were MOOG not Mopar) and the vibration went away for a while.

Check out this thread:

just read the thread about the rear shaft (2quic4u above) and I will check mine this weekend however I also have seen many posts where the rear shaft was replaced with no change. This is one of the only things I have not replaced though along with rear control arms

#5 ·
Ah yes knuckles famous issue with his 08 from this thread:

I would try to get your hands on some mopar lca’s if available. Moog’s products have gone to shit within the last few years. Alot of guys are having similar issues on the ram forum. The 3rd gen 02-08 OEM lca’s are NLA from mopar and it seems everyone who buys moog is having issue after issue. Makes me glad I sold my 04 when I did. Let us know what you find

#6 ·
I have an 07.

I had the 70mph vibration and got rid of it when I changed out my front lower control arms. The vehicle had about 20,000 miles on it.

Years later the vehicle had about 45,000miles and I had the vibration again, I thought it was the control arms again so I thought it was the bushings again - that time my goodyear run on flats started to have the sidewall separate and one part of the tire was bulging out. Changing the tires fixed that.

Now this year I have about 75,000 miles on my vehicle and I wanted to do preventative maintenance since the suspension started to feel a little sloppy. I re-did the entire front end. Moog front lower control arms and upper control arms. I got the Bwoody suspension kit that has all the different control arms and trackbar etc and put that on.

I thought the Bwoody parts looked good but the bushings are a completely different style than OEM, they are in halves and are put in from both ends of the housing. They seem a lot softer than OEM but maybe they are still going to ride decent. I dont know how long they will last - didnt strike me as extremely durable. I probably will have to take the wheels off every month to grease the Bwoody bushings.

The moog front upper and lower control arms dont seem bad. The lower ones look the same as stock. The only major difference is the ball joint threaded stud is not as strong of material. OEM Chrysler all fasteners are grade 9 - almost impossible to break. I over torqued one and stripped it (my fault) that wouldnt have happened on OEM I'm sure of it.

However after changing all that stuff out the vehicle rides and feels so good. Everything feels connected together so well and of course no vibration. Steering wheel is rock solid if I let go of it no matter what speed including 70mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.