Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got to drive a Mineral Grey fully loaded one today. Let's me start off be saying this was the first time I had been in one. The guy who placed the order had backed out the day before, so lucky for me I went there at the right moment allowing me to test drive it.

Now before I begin I don't want any WK1 or WK2 owners to get their panties in a bunch over what I have to say, this is my opinion, and mine alone.

Exterior - The rumors of the rims looking better in person or really quite true, they look much better in person, but I'm still not a fan. Those front brakes are massive, they look soooo much bigger in person, and are hands down my favorite part of the new Jeep. Other than that, the rest of it doesn't really do it for me. It was parked right beside an Overland, and from the back they are hard to tell apart from father than 20 feet. After the test drive I parked next to mine and it looks a lot bigger. They are taller, and a bit wider. It's tires look massive on it. When you look at it from the back, it's like looking at a BWM X5M, all you see is rubber back there. Some people like that look, I do not. To me there is way too much chrome as well. Color was really nice, but I would go with black myself. I just found the overall look ok. Built rock solid. Sounds way better when you close the doors than on a WK1.

Interior - Well this is the first part of my review people are going to get upset. It doesn't help that I was in a 2012 300 SRT8 right before. But I have no idea what the big deal is? I didn't think the interior was all that much better than my 08. Sure the steering wheel is cool as hell, and the seats have vents, but it still felt cheap to me, and Jeep just didn't put nearly the same kind of care as it did with the 300. The inside to me is in NO way even comparable to a BMW or AMG. The whole Nav area all the way to the nob that changes from track to snow might as well came out of the WK1. The stereo..... well that thing ****ing rules!!! Amazing sound. This one had the Pano-roof which is cool, but I have a 4 year old. Wouldn't give that screen up for anything. Back seats have more room than the WK1, but still not much room back there. Again the 300 has more leg room. I don't know why I keep comparing it to the 300 SRT8, maybe to try to justify the 15K difference. And this Jeeps sticker was 64, the 300's was 51. So back to the interior, I think it's a step up from the WK1's, but not by much. It's more gimmicky, that's about it.

Performance - Well it definitely doesn't pull as hard off the line as the WK1. That's without question I think now, but it was good to feel it for myself. The brakes are amazing, but it feels a lot heavier, so it feels like your braking harder, giving the allusion of better braking I think.Not sure if that came out right, or you guys get what I'm trying to say with that. But anyways, I love the brakes on WK1, and these feel just as good with new car bite. You sit higher, it feels bigger, and heavier. To me the WK2 is much more comfortable at high speeds than the WK1, this thing rules on the highway. I never got it passed 160 but it didn't want to slow down and felt like you could keep climbing all the way to 270 with ease. It takes corners rock solid, but again with the taller COG I don't feel as confident as I do in the WK1. I autocross, and with Vreds on my stock suspension there is no way the WK2 could be thrown around like the WK1. That's just how I feel. Throttle felt great, engine is awesome. Exhaust I didn't like. Too quite, farts, and doesn't have the same rumble as my stock exhaust.

Well that's about it. I think it has a lot of potential, but until SRT figures a few things out with this Jeep I'll wait for the next one. I can not understand how they could be asking 15k more for that than the rest of SRT line. Not for me. Please try to understand this was an opinion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice review...

I really do agree with quality of interior is not close to bmw or amg.. they do look nice and high quality but they just look

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide App

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Nice write up. I do agree about the NAV when you compare it to the new 8.4 in the Charger or 300 it looks out of place. IMO the interior would have looked much better/updated with the new unit there. I think the rest of the interior is a nice step up though. I'm very happy with the interior in my WK1's also. Those brakes are massive, aren't they, plus with the openness of the new rims it shows them off nicely. The one I have/had ordered finally shipped & my dealer is expecting it any day, I'm hoping they will still let me drive it around the block :rolleyes: at least since I'm not taking it.

Jim

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Well that's about it. I think it has a lot of potential, but until SRT figures a few things out with this Jeep I'll wait for the next one. I can not understand how they could be asking 15k more for that than the rest of SRT line. Not for me. Please try to understand this was an opinion.
Thank you very much for your review!

Your review has only validated the opinion I tried to form myself by closely studying the wk1 and wk2 over the internet, plus never owning a wk1 made it even harder.

I'm pretty sure now that I will not spend a cent over 55k for this vehicle, I had my doubts but not anymore.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Good write up, very thorough.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Great review, I still havent seen one in person. I think today im gonna go hunt for one to drive

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I agree how they are wider and higher up. I sat in one at the car show in NY and I wasnt crazy about it. By the way, I do like the new 300's..

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
One of the best review by far , thanks .

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Thanks for the write up, definitely interesting to read about your oppinion on the interior considering everyone else's review on it do far has been very positive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
$64 CDN isn't as bad as I thought. Many of us have window stickers from our WK SRT's that are not much lower than that. Wonder how long until the incentives start, like with ours.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great write up. That is awesome that the dealer let you test drive it.

$65K is a big jump from the price of the WK1 SRT, however, I am starting to get the itch to get one!

·
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,180 Posts
Nice review, thanks for the write-up. I think we all knew that the WK2 is a significantly heavier and larger vehicle than the WK1. Thats REALLY going to start to show when the WK2 crowd starts to get heavy into mods in the next couple years.... its going to be tough for them to compete head-to-head with the WK1 given the extra weight and drag.

I think the current WK1 owners do a comparison that is more balanced than the person who jumps into the WK2 from a completely different platform.

Overall I'm getting older and am now a family man, so the WK2 is the direction I'm leaning for daily driver. For my seriou mod bug am I going to purchase a savlage-title WK1 and race trailer and make it into a street monster (again)... and yes, its going to be a Stage6 underhood twin setup.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys I tried to be as honest as I could with that. One more thing I forgot to mention. As for mods...I spent a few minutes under the WK2. As I just changed the starter on mine, I wanted to see how working under the WK2 would be. WOW.....working under there would suck!!!! Just saying.........And do they have the same size rear drive shaft as the WK1? It just looked smaller, I know because it IRS it's different but by how much?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to put this on the blue site as well. I don't think I'll get the same responses. Might get banned. Ha ha.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Going to put this on the blue site as well. I don't think I'll get the same responses. Might get banned. Ha ha.
Then you join the ban club like me LOL!

Great write up and thanks for your honesty.

I personally think they would have sold more if they swapped prices with the 300 SRT8. I also sat in one at the dealer and I must say while I think even $54k was a tad high the wow factor of the 300 is awesome I liked it alot.

The 300 has grown on me alot more then the Jeep but I did have a 2011 Overland so I guess im a tad biased.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Thanks for the review!! Very thorough!

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Looking forward to reading those responses over there.

Never joined cause I think that's its complete BS that they "try" & make you join or you can only see X amount of posts.

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
Review sounds about what I would have said, seeing the one in person that I did.

I'd love to drive one and have my opinion on that. Thanks for the time in putting that review together!

·
Registered
307 Posts
[

I respect your opinion...but it just doesn't jive with me. Most if not all of the folks who do it(review cars) for a living, rave about the interior. But hey-- I apreciate the review.

as for the "doesn't pull as hard" that myth has been smashed long ago. we have several wk2s in the 12.9-13.0 range already. Thats substantially better than most wk1s ever did stock. As for the handling, I think its just your bias toward your own vehicle. this thing supposedly did 8:49 on the Ring..

this review says it best:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204903804577082671773044262.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
The only thing about the interior that I wasn't pleased about was the navigation. yes, there is a reason behind it, not enough time to put it in there, etc.. , but I do believe that it is holding people back. Don't get me wrong, MyGig is awesome, but comparing it to the new nav, it seems extremely outdated.
The sound system, carbon fiber, seats, pano roof, steering wheel, all seem top notch to me and I would compare them to that of a $100k plus car, but of course those cars will have nicer leather and what not.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts