Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone, im wanting to install a sub in my rig but im pretty clueless. im pretty sure i want a 12 inch type r, and i have heard 2 cu feet is the way to go on the box size but im not sure. i just dont know what amp i should be looking at to get this sub BUMPING the box will be ported. anyone know where i can get a nice premade box for this sub and what amps i should be looking at? any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone??????

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
find a 10" sub. if you go with a 12", its going to be tough find a box that will fit and allow you to keep your pull out shade in the back. (which is nice to hide your sub) i built my own box for 2-sqaure 10's and it bumps plenty. and i used very little space.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i actually dont use the pull out shade

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
As for that amp, i would look at a kicker, kenwood, or memphis amp. Where do you plan to mount it? Kenwood has a decent 250W and 500W amp that would work well with that single sub

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THAT IS A GREAT LOOKING SETUP! where is the amp located at

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
probly under the lift up floorboard in the back

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
yep! only problem i have there, is my amp does not have an internal fan. So if i run it hard for 2-3 songs, it will cut the bass down to protect it from overloading. If you plan to install it there, i highly recommend an amp with an internal fan. I have my single sub install pics around here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Single sub. If you dont use your shade, a box about this size should be sufficient for that 12

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and do i want it at 4ohm bridged or 2ohm stero load, i am still undecided on if i should get the 2ohm or 4ohm type R??

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Is it single or dual v)opice coils? If single get 2ohms. If dual get 4 ohms then u can bridge it down to 2

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its dual. well i can get an ausome price on those sundown amps and i have heard great things about them so is the one i posted going to get this sub thumping? sorry i really dont know shit about the subject matter

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
You can find a single 12" ported box from ebay. Make sure it's not more than 14" tall that way you can still utilize the cargo cover.

·
Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
Alpine PDX 1.600 and mount it in the rear cargo bin. I've got a Alpine PDX F-4 mounted there with that amp and have NEVER had a heat issue. These amps automatically switch between 2 or 4 ohm. The 1.600 is pushing 2 type R 10's and does great. Very nice.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
562 Posts
Find a local shop and have them build you a box. There is alot more to box building and port length than just any box will work. Any shop should be able to build you a nice box for 250 bucks or so

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as far as the box goes your right i guess i just need to locate a shop to do it for me. this is for my wrangler so that alpine pdx 600 marine is looking verrrrryyy tempting!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sundown is the TRUTH. He stands behind his products, and they're built in the US. If you can afford it, buy it. I'm from Hickory, NC where they first really jumped off while I was in highschool. Sundown has came a LONG way and is a strong purchase.

I just helped my friend Tim put 2 DC Audio Level V 18's into a box that we custom built to 36Hz. It's running with Sundown 3500's on each sub. Hertz components in the front + Memphis Tweets on the dash on a Matts amp. It's peel-your-face-back loud. You can jump a quarter 8" on his roof. But... that's not what everyone's goin' for...

Oh yea... and do yourself a favor and don't mount your amp in that tray. Good idea for looks, but bad for lifecycle of the amp, & possibly of your plastic tray... depending on if the amp you go with has thermal protection and things like that. JL's HD amps are also VERY much worth the $.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts