Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't hit the ditch in over a decade in a variety of vehicles, but they are calling for 200" of snow for us this winter. Where is the most secure/study place to hook on for a couple tugs if need be?

Edit: blizzaks and a shovel will be equipped during winter months

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
From the rear,I would snatch the axle.From the front..umm no idea.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Reactions: higshemi

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Ok maybe snatch was the wrong word.Hook to the rear axle.Where else are you gonna grab it from,and why not the axle?

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
You could bolt a tow ring on the K-member in the front and on one of the two body braces in the rear that stick down under the rear cargo area. That is where the aftermarket hitches bolt to anyways.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You could bolt a tow ring on the K-member in the front and on one of the two body braces in the rear that stick down under the rear cargo area. That is where the aftermarket hitches bolt to anyways.

What he said. If you arent gonna do something like that best thing would be to call a tow truck. Snatching or pulling on the axle can potentailly damage rear end, u joints, tranny, ect. Really not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
where would a tow truck hook up to then to pull you out, both for the front or rear other than the diffs?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
where would a tow truck hook up to then to pull you out, both for the front or rear other than the diffs?

If they know what they are doing they will find a spot on the frame to hook to. but if they were to pull from an axle and screw something up its not coming out of your pocket.:cool:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Depending on how stuck you are, the axle wouldnt be bad... if your deep in, then yeah not the axle. Buy yourself a hidden hitch, 100 bucks, then you will have somewhere to hook up to.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll crawl under there and see what im working with as far as places to mount those tow rings. I think that could be a legit solution. The problem with the tow truck is that there aren't that many...could be waiting multiple hours before one shows up. I figure if im in the ditch, there must be 100+ others already on the list ;) thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, I know a guy that works at a fab shop...I'll see what he thinks as far as welding something up. I'll post pics up if/when we get the project up and going

1 - 20 of 21 Posts