Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't hit the ditch in over a decade in a variety of vehicles, but they are calling for 200" of snow for us this winter. Where is the most secure/study place to hook on for a couple tugs if need be?

·
Registered
741 Posts
200" of snow!? holy efk!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
200" of snow!? holy efk!
That is being predicted by the Farmers Almanac...which I never really bought into until last winter. It was freakishly accurate as far as # of big snow storms and overall accumulation. When March came around it seemed if spring was here to stay...that almanac said no, there's 4 more huge storms with a few more feet of snow. It was spot on, and pretty much called the flooding in canada/north dakota this spring. I'm not looking forward to this winter, but all snow days are paid days off with the company I'm at so the PS3 will be getting a lot of use this year :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
The obvious answer is if its that deep u shouldn't be driving in it too much plastic on the front and rear to pull it out without damage. the axles are the strongest point, but good luck hooking to them without hitting the bumpers. Unless you are dragging it sideways then you could have the strap exit the wheelwell.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The obvious answer is if its that deep u shouldn't be driving in it too much plastic on the front and rear to pull it out without damage. the axles are the strongest point, but good luck hooking to them without hitting the bumpers. Unless you are dragging it sideways then you could have the strap exit the wheelwell.
Clearly, you have never lived somewhere where snowfall is abundant. You can't just stay home for 6 months because there's too much snow on the ground. You must not have read the previous posts either?

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Clearly, you have never lived somewhere where snowfall is abundant. You can't just stay home for 6 months because there's too much snow on the ground. You must not have read the previous posts either?
I think he meant stay home for the snow event. That would be my advice too, or get a beater for the big storms if you must drive. I wouldn't worry about strap damage, if you end up in a ditch there will be other damage that is far more substantial. Most guys end up cracking their front valance just from pushing through deep snow, just imagine the carnage if you went off the road.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think he meant stay home for the snow event. That would be my advice too, or get a beater for the big storms if you must drive. I wouldn't worry about strap damage, if you end up in a ditch there will be other damage that is far more substantial. Most guys end up cracking their front valance just from pushing through deep snow, just imagine the carnage if you went off the road.[/QUOTExactly what I meant. Perhaps you're quite well off and can afford to replace your bumper everytime you hit an ice clump or deep patch of snow if so more power too ya. I for one would never use my srt8 as a daily driver in snow ,I would always have and do have a second back up vehicle. I thought most people in the rust belt did
And what previous posts are you referring to yours is at the top thought it was the first post in this thread, sorry if I missed something

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front end is cracked already...planned on replacing it in the spring. Im going to look at a '94 ford truck this weekend which would solve all the problems. The whole idea of car payments on something collecting dust gets me. Anyway, thanks for your input...perhaps its time to bite the bullet and do the beater.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Couldnt you rig a tow ring (not sure what its really called) through the mesh of the front bumper?

Ive seen a few imports.. like a Honda... I mean Acura type S with a metal ring poking out through the front bumper...Ugly, but if your trying to race a Honda its smart ;) as they seem to break down every time I go to the track and need a pull frequently.

I would look into an air bag kit also.. How cool would it be to hit a switch and raise the Jeep another inch or 2 off the ground? That with studded snow tires should do pretty well imo. Just a thought.
As the Jeep comes its just too low for any deep snow or off roading if you want to keep it looking pretty.

OR. Have you thought of getting a laredo bumper? It should allow for a lot more clearance...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Most imports have that its used when there shipped for securement purposes

Reactions: SCAM

·
Registered
806 Posts
Front end is cracked already...planned on replacing it in the spring. Im going to look at a '94 ford truck this weekend which would solve all the problems. The whole idea of car payments on something collecting dust gets me. Anyway, thanks for your input...perhaps its time to bite the bullet and do the beater.
Just tell yourself it'll stay newer longer and have lower miles and you don't have to worry bout some kid that's driving in snow for the first time losing control and creaming you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts